Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just moved to the UK (London) on an ancestry visa. I start work on Monday but as of yet haven't opened a UK bank account.

Firstly, what is a recommended bank for someone in my position? Barclays has ties to my bank back in NZ and Australia (Westpac) which means I can withdraw money from Barclays ATMs without a large fee. Possibly this will be an advantage for transferring money too.

Secondly, what are the requirements for opening accounts? I don't have a fixed address yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey,

my partner was only able to open an account with Barclays when she arrived - she used her national insurance number which she gained from being on a youth mobility visa.

All other banks requested evidence of an address e.g. utility bills or (hilariously) bank statements.

It sounds like barclays has good advantages for you, I would go with that at least to begin with, you should be able to do this with your NI number. Following that there are multiple choices for current and saving accounts.. each have different benefits.

My partner didnt have any problems with barclays. I use Nationwide, they have a current account (costs 10gbp per month) and includes benefits such as mobile phone insurance, road side recovery (if you drive) etc. Or ones with less benefits that dont have a monthly charge

Hope that helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers. Will go into Barclays later today. Might have to use a friends address as I haven't moved in to a flat yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Barclays account sounds better for you but if it doesn't work out, HSBC had a similar account called the 'Passport Account' (I think) which you didn't need proof of address for. Basically it was for someone new to the UK. I ended up going waiting until I received a bill with proof of address to open up a normal account as I didn't want to pay the fees for this passport account.

·
Registered
581 Posts
HSBC boasts about being able to deal with immigrants, take them to their word :)

I myself used Citi , but they may have changed because they scaled a lot their operations since the financial crisis, I would still consider them since they have global reach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.