Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What will I need to open a bank account here?

The apartment rent is inclusive of all bills so I will not have an energy bill with my name on it

I have a rental contract, a work contract and that is about it

Is that enough?

I'm worried it will be costly to be paid into my UK bank account

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Hi,

What will I need to open a bank account here?

The apartment rent is inclusive of all bills so I will not have an energy bill with my name on it

I have a rental contract, a work contract and that is about it

Is that enough?

I'm worried it will be costly to be paid into my UK bank account

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks,

James

All we needed was proof of residence and our rental contract was enough - like you it was all inclusive. We used Societe Generale and I have to say I am very happy with them, the staff are really friendly,helpful and understanding of our horrible French.

If it's a problem with the local branch you go to - go elsewhere and see who is the most helpful. Apparently French banks attitudes rule enforcement etc change from branch to branch.

Good luck

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Normally you will need to set up an appointment to open an account. Ask them when you make your appointment what documents they want to see. (The rental contract works fine if you don't have an EDF bill.)

Like David says, if you don't have one document, ask them what you can provide instead. Usually you can get an appointment for the next day after when you ask for one - and that gives you the time to pull together what they need.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just to let you know

You should be allright with your rental contract also take your work contract if it's a french one so you'll have more choice if it's a permanent one to get a visa or mastercard rather than a visa electron or maestro.

Also to know in France you have bank and bank. To explain Societe Generale, BNP Paribas, Banque populaire are proper banque which mean you can draw money or transfer money from every branch across France. Credit Agricole, La Banque Postale, SNCM are not and if you're out of your area you won't be able to transfer money or draw more than your daily allowance.

I was with Credit Agricole and La Banque Postale, now I'm with Societe Generale and like David I do recommend them. Within the last 3 years we've moved across 3 different area and it was really easy to transfer everything from branch to branch. La Banque Postale is still too much on the "bureaucracy" side and paperwork are horrendous.

Well good luck.

Cheers,

Pauline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.