Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, banking regulations have changed an awful lot in recent years. I'm planning a reccy to Spain in 2014 with a view to a move in 2015. As a non resident with no Spainsh address, can you open a bank account?

In UK now, you cannot open a new UK bank account unless you reside permanently in UK or can show a UK address with utility bills or similar for a given period. Other countries follow different guidleines, hence my question.

The advantages of having a Spanish bank account already set up before a pemanent move for me are numerous.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi, banking regulations have changed an awful lot in recent years. I'm planning a reccy to Spain in 2014 with a view to a move in 2015. As a non resident with no Spainsh address, can you open a bank account?

In UK now, you cannot open a new UK bank account unless you reside permanently in UK or can show a UK address with utility bills or similar for a given period. Other countries follow different guidleines, hence my question.

The advantages of having a Spanish bank account already set up before a pemanent move for me are numerous.

I believe you can open a non resident bank account with just your passport and a euro. As a non resident account, any rates are higher and you will be expected to change it to a resident account within a set period of time I believe.

This thread may help if you have a read thru http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...pain/240738-transfering-money-uk-account.html

Jo xxx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you can open a non resident bank account with just your passport and a euro. As a non resident account, any rates are higher and you will be expected to change it to a resident account within a set period of time I believe.

This thread may help if you have a read thru http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...pain/240738-transfering-money-uk-account.html

Jo xxx
Thanks for the info Jo, I hope the regulations don't change. I'd simply open an account to transfer money from UK so funds were in place when needed e.g a deposit on a rental.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As a non resident with no Spainsh address, can you open a bank account?
My husband was able to open a non-resident bank account with La Caixa in Aug with his Irish passport and 20 euros deposit. He is able to access his account on line from the US and transfer money from his Canadian bank to his La Caixa bank.

Just be prepared though that staff may not speak English or very little Eglish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the area and don't have an NIE number. BBVA was the only bank I found that was happy to open a non-resident account and it was completely free. I opened mine in Moraira and everybody there speaks good English. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm new to the area and don't have an NIE number. BBVA was the only bank I found that was happy to open a non-resident account and it was completely free. I opened mine in Moraira and everybody there speaks good English. Good luck.
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to identify the sort code in the IBAN in my new Spanish bank account with Ibercaja?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just opened a non-resident bank account and all I needed was to show a UK address from my UK driving licence and passport.

The person in Sabadell (Sotogrande) mentioned half the people with accounts there didn't speak Spanish, so all the staff spoke good English.

Experience with Sabadell has been very positive.

(have since switched to resident account once residence papers got, again all very easy)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to identify the sort code in the IBAN in my new Spanish bank account with Ibercaja?
In my bank book it says the first 8 eight numbers are the international bank identifier and the next four are the 'office' (oficina), I guess that is the equivalent of a sort code. The next two are labelled D.C. and the last ten are the account number.

BTW, my experience with Banc Sabadell has been horrendous, so it is the luck of the draw I suppose on where you live and who you get. I'm now with Catalunya Caixa, so far so good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there,

We move to Spain in 45 days. 4 weeks ago I opened our non-residents bank account with Banc Sabadell in Torrox-Costa. Everything was done online and via email. They were very professional, English was perfect and the whole process was very smooth.

I did have to deposit €120 but I was happy to do so. They already have my bank cards in the branch ready for me to collect and switch my account to a residents account also.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for your reply but, no, it does not help. What I need is the sort code, which is somewhere in the IBAN. Never mind, I'll ask them when I get there.

I opened a bank account in the Pyrenees. Nobody spoke English, or French, or German. They weren't very organised, well, not for foreigners like me. But I managed, in Spanish and they managed to get their system to accept me. It's Ibercaja. The account is free, for ever, they said, so that's nice. I'm happy struggling by in Spanish because I do have to learn this language. They aren't going to learn English.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Thank you for your reply but, no, it does not help. What I need is the sort code, which is somewhere in the IBAN. Never mind, I'll ask them when I get there.

I opened a bank account in the Pyrenees. Nobody spoke English, or French, or German. They weren't very organised, well, not for foreigners like me. But I managed, in Spanish and they managed to get their system to accept me. It's Ibercaja. The account is free, for ever, they said, so that's nice. I'm happy struggling by in Spanish because I do have to learn this language. They aren't going to learn English.
You should NOT need the sort code, if indeed there is one.

The IBAN is absolutely sufficient these days for anything and everything (may need SWIFT code as well in some places).

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Well guys, the reason I'm looking for a sort code is because it is necessary to do what I want to do.
If you look in WIKI, you will see that Spanish IBAN numbers do NOT contain a sort code - they have country codes, branch codes and account numbers..
... it contains key bank account details such as country code, branch codes (known as sort codes in the UK and Ireland) ...
To my knowledge, Spain don't use sort codes - they use a combination of factors.

It may be possible to deduce a sort code from an IBAn but it's not clear how.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well guys, the reason I'm looking for a sort code is because it is necessary to do what I want to do.
just looking at my account and the IBAN is 30 characters in the form:

ES53 0081 7465 97xx xxxx xxxx

0081 is the bank code
7465 is the branch code
97 is the "c.d" (?)
then the xs are the account number

The there is the BIC which is of the form BSABESBB

From wiki ""...The sort code, which is a six-digit number, is usually formatted as three pairs of numbers, for example 12-34-56. It identifies both the bank and the branch where the account is held. In some cases, the first digit of the sort code identifies the bank itself and in other cases the first 2 digits identify the bank.[1] Although there is a strong correlation between BIC Codes and sort codes, sort codes are not explicitly encoded into BIC codes (although they are encoded into IBANs)...."

So I'm guessing my sort code is 81-74-65.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you angkag, this is helpful. I'm not insisting on finding the sort code, Paypal is. I'm trying to transfer money to my new account in Spain using that and they demand a sort code. If I can use Paypal, it is a lot simpler and more convenient than using a bank.

Yes I know there are other online transfer companies but I've tried them. They insist you have a phone and I don't have one.

·
Banned
30 Posts
I opened my Banc Sabadell account without even going to Spain. Although i did have to go to their Branch in Pall Mall London to sign paperwork.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try Richard Bransons Transferwise, they are on facebook. They offer a much cheaper way to transfer money than rip off bank charges so might be a solution rather than paypal. I've not personally used them though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts