Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had a couple of questions about opal card for Sydney. Could you please let me know:

1} If I can buy it at Sydney airport ?

2} Is my below understanding of card correct ?

a} How much ever I travel it will only be 15 $ per day ?

b} Sunday its only max 2.50 $

3} Should I make advance booking for the card or can I buy at the airport itself ?
What documents are needed ?

Thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
The sydney locals will be able to answer better than me, but from what I remember:

1) Yes, you can. I believe some retailers, and by the train station.
2) Not sure what you are asking here
3) I believe $15 is the max per day that they will charge you.
4) Yes, i think Sunday all day is $2.50

The Opal cards are everywhere. You can go to most stores or stands on the street and they will be able to sell you the opal card as well as fill you up. You can also fill up on line. Very convenient.

Also, you can use it for every mode of transport. The trains, buses and even the ferries. However, you can only use it for the Sydney ferries (green and yellow). The fast ferries, you must pay a separate fee.

Hi guys,

I had a couple of questions about opal card for Sydney. Could you please let me know:

3} Should I make advance booking for the card or can I buy at the airport itself ?

Thank you

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi guys,

Thank you
The Airport station charges different so an Opal card doesn't help much.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is only if you are travelling with a family.....travelling by yourself you pay the normal weekend rate.
Nope, good for all

Few core points:

- Max amount charged per day: 15
- Max amount charged on Sunday : 2.5
- Conveyance to/from Airport is exclusive of the above rules
- After 8 paid journeys, remaining journeys are free (i.e. you go to office by bus from Monday to Thursday and accumulate 8 trips in total, so your Friday office commute becomes free and enjoy the weekend in free public transport)

Purchasing the card is damn easy, a lot of retail store has them. No documents required to make a purchase. Cards are instantly activated if purchased from retail store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts