Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just arrived back chez moi, and found an AR slip in my letterbox, and we all know what that is don't we? Carte de séjour, at least what else can it be.
The AR slip is dated 26/05. It says on the back it will be available at La Poste for 15 consecutive days and then it will be returned. Tomorrow will be Day 15, if I have counted up right. Will it still be there,? The suspense is killing me, how will I ever be able to sleep tonight. (Quite easily I think, it was a long drive and it's hot and I'm knackered.)
Anybody want to place a bet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just arrived back chez moi, and found an AR slip in my letterbox, and we all know what that is don't we? Carte de séjour, at least what else can it be.
The AR slip is dated 26/05. It says on the back it will be available at La Poste for 15 consecutive days and then it will be returned. Tomorrow will be Day 15, if I have counted up right. Will it still be there,? The suspense is killing me, how will I ever be able to sleep tonight. (Quite easily I think, it was a long drive and it's hot and I'm knackered.)
Anybody want to place a bet?
Evens

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you suppose they send things back in the morning or the afternoon? My Linky window is supposed to be 8h30 to 12h00 but if it would make the difference between picking the card up now or having ongoing hassle, I would nip out in the morning and stick a note on my door for Enedis with my phone number on. (It would be funny if I ended up getting the CdS but missing the Linky appointment, wouldn't it LOL. No, it wouldn't.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you suppose they send things back in the morning or the afternoon? My Linky window is supposed to be 8h30 to 12h00 but if it would make the difference between picking the card up now or having ongoing hassle, I would nip out in the morning and stick a note on my door for Enedis with my phone number on. (It would be funny if I ended up getting the CdS but missing the Linky appointment, wouldn't it LOL. No, it wouldn't.)
When ourLinkychap came he phoned ahead to check we were in, he came about 30 minutes later. What time does the post office open and how far from the house? Be first in the queue?

Alternatively you could phone the post office first thing to check they still had it and tell them you will be there to collect straight after Linky man has left?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The following day, or at the earliest close of business the same day as far as I know.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,763 Posts
You will dash out first thing to the post office to pick up your CdS but they will have sent it back already. On returning home your Linky men will have come and gone..........

nah you'll be ok ET , fret not.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you are right BiF.
La Poste is a ten minute walk but it doesn't open until 9. I can't seem to find a proper telephone number.
I am thinking that if Enedis isn't here and hasn't phoned by a quarter to 9 I'll make a dash for it. If there isn't a queue I'll only be away for half an hour. If he phones me in advance that'll work, if he phones me from outside my door, well I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
To be frank, since I don't think it will be the end of the Linky saga because I don't think he will want to do joinery work, I am going to put the CdS first because if I can manage to collect it, that will be one thing safely in the bag and I can forget about it.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will dash out first thing to the post office to pick up your CdS but they will have sent it back already. On returning home your Linky men will have come and gone..........
Jest not, Conks, that may well happen!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Phone your post office and ask them to hold on to it.

Sorry, I didn't read your previous post fully.

Anyway, leave a note on the door for Enedis.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:ROFLMAO: I just collected my carte de séjour.
Just in the nick of time, was that lucky or what..
No sign from Enedis yet. But whatever happens with that, it's saved a lot of potential hassle with the CdS so it hasn't been an entirely wasted trip.
:LOL:

·
Registered
281 Posts
No sign from Enedis yet. But whatever happens with that, it's saved a lot of potential hassle with the CdS so it hasn't been an entirely wasted trip.
Well done, that’s another thing not to be worried about. Enedis will probably run up at 5 to 12 😉

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And to close off the Linky thing as well (for now) - two very nice chaps duly turned up. I told them straight off that I was afraid they'd wasted their journey but they didn't mind a bit. What they have to do now is send a report saying that they can't access the meter. They took photos of it - in fact they were quite impressed at how inaccessible it is, they said that sometimes they have to fudge the photos by putting things in front of the meter to make it look more inaccessible than it is, otherwise the office will say "that is accessible, go back and do it", but they didn't need to do that with mine! So they send in their report which will be put in a pile with all the other inaccessible meter reports, and when the current exercise is complete and the cut off date has passed and everyone in France (in theory) has been visited and either got a Linky or had a report done explaining why not, then they start going back to the inaccessible ones. Apparently it was important to keep the rendez vous before the cut off date because now that it's recorded, even if it's two years before they get back to me I won't have to pay for the Linky. Whereas if I hadn't made a rendez vous before the cut off date, sooner or later I would have been compelled to have it replaced at my own expense.

Now all I need to do is get myself safely back to the campsite and I'll be able to call it a successful trip.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well done ET. Mission accomplished...

even if it took more organising than the D-Day landings. 🤣🤗

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine just arrived in the post, 6 weeks wait but so happy it’s here now. 😀

Forgot to say, safe journey back to the campsite.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Ouf.. all's well that ends well.
Just a word of caution about leaving notes on your door to say that you are absent from -- to -- o'clock: it's an open invitation for any local burglar at a loose end.

·
Registered
58 Posts
(y)Congrats on receiving your CdS. I received mine mid April, a little less than 6months from start/finish.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My cake even had an extra cherry on it.

I've always had a problem with my front door being difficult to open and close (@Smeg is sick of hearing about this door). When I bought the house it was a bit sticky and it got worse and worse, and since the floods a couple of years ago it's been seriously hard, the house must have settled a bit but the door frame didn't. It wasn't too bad this morning when I went to the post, but after Enedis had been and gone and I was about to set off back to the campsite the sun was full out and the wood must have swelled or something and I could not get the damn thing to shut tight enough for me to turn the key, I banged and banged and banged and hurt my hands and was standing there effing and blinding at it and panicking, and along comes M. le Maire in his car. I haven't seen him for over a year and he stopped to say hello (well he had to stop cos I'd dumped my bags in the middle of the ruelle while I tried to shut the door), I suppose expecting some polite chit chat about how was Covid for you. Instead of which he got an overwrought ET cussing and swearing about this p*tain de porte and what can I do, it won't shut and I can't leave it open because I've got to set off. The poor chap looked fazed, then he got his phone out and made a phone call, and I heard him telling somebody to come straight away and help an English lady who had to set off back to the UK and couldn't shut her door (I hadn't explained where I was going, he'd obviously assumed back to the UK but I didn't put him right because it sounded more dramatic like that). And within the hour, a menuisier turned up and got busy, and now my door opens and shuts almost like a door should. What's even better, I have the menuisier's phone number and we agreed I can ring him in September and he'll come and do the box round the meter.
Ten flippin' years I spent trying to get someone to sort that door out, and the mayor makes a phone call and it's done within a couple of hours. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but it's another problem solved.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts