Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice on buying clothes online (from UK/abroad)...? A friend recommended that I ask on expat forums - so here I am!!
Which retailers offer a good service? When living in the UK, I shopped in highstreet stores such as M&S, Cotton Traders, Debenhams.
All comments welcome!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice on buying clothes online (from UK/abroad)...? A friend recommended that I ask on expat forums - so here I am!!
Which retailers offer a good service? When living in the UK, I shopped in highstreet stores such as M&S, Cotton Traders, Debenhams.
All comments welcome!

There are some M&S stores in Spain - altho the only one I know of is in Marbella?? There are also Dunnes stores, which are similar. As for on-line?????? I dont know, but a google search may help?? See what others on here advise

Welcome to the forum BTW

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Hi all,
All comments welcome!
M&S deliver to Spain

we also have C&A in Spain - stores & online shopping........... some of my UK friends are quite jealous that they don't deliver there!

we've bought Cotton Traders from somewhere online too - I can't remember where :confused2:

there's also Venca & Zalanda - & many others

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
M&S deliver to Spain

we also have C&A - stores & online shopping........... some of my UK friends are quite jealous that they don't deliver there!

Ah yes, C&A I forgot about that!! I have to say that the choice in Spain, IMO is infinitely better than the UK - maybe its an age thing lol!!!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Amazon.UK may be worth a look this week as they have adopted the US black Friday thing.
All week they have substantial price reductions and what they call lightening deals. Most brands in clothing should be on amazon too.

It's a good week to do Christmas shopping online anyway.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
You can buy online with M&S, Argos, and Amazon the things usually take a week to ten days to arrive.
Very often they refuse to deliver to the Canary Isles, claiming that we are not part of Spain :eek:

Jollimans deliver, plus there are all the stores in Las Palmas, M&S, Primark, C&A, etc.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We buy from M&S (eu. website since the UK website n longer serves Spain), Cotton Traders, Pavers (shoes), Lakeland, Scotts of Stowe, Spiceworks, Amazon (not much from UK now since they stopped the free del;very), but still use .es and .com) ebay (Spain and UK) Holland and Barrett, Vitamin World (US), etc

·
Registered
915 Posts
I shop mainly online with Amazon UK. I know they stopped the free postage, but two weeks ago I ordered something and it was delivered 3 days later. Now that is excellent service.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I shop mainly online with Amazon UK. I know they stopped the free postage, but two weeks ago I ordered something and it was delivered 3 days later. Now that is excellent service.
I recently bought a DVD "In the House" from Amazon.es at about €7 cheaper than it was priced at on Amazon.uk and since I've subscribed to prime, I got free delivery - same thing with "The Ladies on the 6th Floor" both delivered within three days by MRW from Dunfermline! So have a look to see if they have the same thing on Amazon.es - their range is expanding.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Ah yes, C&A I forgot about that!! I have to say that the choice in Spain, IMO is infinitely better than the UK - maybe its an age thing lol!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Didn't C&A pull out of the UK a few years ago? I must say I like their Spanish stores, they are one of the few places that do women's shoes above size 40. (My feet seem to be getting bigger as I get older ...:()

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Didn't C&A pull out of the UK a few years ago? I must say I like their Spanish stores, they are one of the few places that do women's shoes above size 40. (My feet seem to be getting bigger as I get older ...:()
yep - I thought that the last C&A in the UK closed just as we moved to Spain - but I just googled it & it was 2001!!

so it was as we left the UK - but to the US...

I've given up going to our 'local' store now - there's so much more choice in the online one!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Not quite the right emphasis - you don't have a choice - UK won't supply to you in Spain. They will to Portugal or France but not Spain. Now whether this is to avoid taking trade from their branches/concessionaires, I don't know.
Now this is something that bugs me, I looked into this a while ago when some astronomy dealers wouldn't ship to the EU.
No retailer in the EU has the right to refuse sale to a consumer anywhere in the EU, or so the law stated.
Unfortunately I didn't find a more definitive answer to why some business' don't other than there are some exceptions, just what the exceptions are I never found out or more likely forgot.

Some reasons are probably reasonable too but when you have the Germans selling everything to everyone no questions then it makes asked then make it look more like an excuse rather than a reason to not sell something to you.

I would be pretty certain though if it's to avoid taking business away from it's Spanish branch or affiliates then that is blatantly against the competition rules.

We have to put up with unfair trade restrictions from the US with manufacturers not allowing business' to sell to EU customers and then jack the price up over here in return.
The EU however in theory does not allow that here.

:confused:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Now this is something that bugs me, I looked into this a while ago when some astronomy dealers wouldn't ship to the EU.
No retailer in the EU has the right to refuse sale to a consumer anywhere in the EU, or so the law stated.
Unfortunately I didn't find a more definitive answer to why some business' don't other than there are some exceptions, just what the exceptions are I never found out or more likely forgot.

Some reasons are probably reasonable too but when you have the Germans selling everything to everyone no questions then it makes asked then make it look more like an excuse rather than a reason to not sell something to you.

I would be pretty certain though if it's to avoid taking business away from it's Spanish branch or affiliates then that is blatantly against the competition rules.

We have to put up with unfair trade restrictions from the US with manufacturers not allowing business' to sell to EU customers and then jack the price up over here in return.
The EU however in theory does not allow that here.

:confused:
Maybe their argument would be that they don't refuse to sell to somebody outside the UK or wherever, it is just that they don't ship/post/etc. outside their own country which, presumably, is not against the EC rules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I decided to place an order with Cotton traders & 'ASOS' online.
Cotton traders delivery cost £6.95 and arrived within 4 days (as promised).
My order was also subject to a 10% discount as per the current promotion on the website.
The courier was DHL who provided a tracking code and sent updates via email (i.e. items have been dispatched etc).
A thoroughly recommended service - prices much cheaper and same postage cost irrespective of order size.
ASOS offer free worldwide delivery - I haven't shopped with them before but my son chose something from there for Christmas!

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I decided to place an order with Cotton traders & 'ASOS' online.
Cotton traders delivery cost £6.95 and arrived within 4 days (as promised).
My order was also subject to a 10% discount as per the current promotion on the website.
The courier was DHL who provided a tracking code and sent updates via email (i.e. items have been dispatched etc).
A thoroughly recommended service - prices much cheaper and same postage cost irrespective of order size.
ASOS offer free worldwide delivery - I haven't shopped with them before but my son chose something from there for Christmas!
did you use the Spanish version?

ASOS | Ver moda para mujer y hombre | Envíos gratis y devoluciones locales

1 - 20 of 20 Posts