Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. If I buy things online and get them delivered to my home address, and it is a large box. Does the postman leave a slip in the box and I have to pick it up from the post office?? I need to buy a few things and need them delivered. I'm not in a big city. How does it work if a courier company is used? Will they leave it at the post office, if I am not at home.

plus I need to buy a printer to print off all the documentation required :)

cheers

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
It depends. (Don't you love that answer?)

More and more online vendors these days give you the option to have purchases delivered to your door - or to a point relais of some sort. (Check Amazon.fr to see what I'm talking about.) The pick up points are usually small shops in the area. Ours is a convenience market at the end of the street. Another vendor my husband uses a florist in the next town over (that is open on Sunday during the local market, which is when he picks up his stuff).

And lately, the delivery services of La Poste (Colissimo and Chronopost) will send you an e-mail and/or text message the day before a delivery, giving you the chance to change the date or ask that it be delivered to a different address (a neighbor or the local pick-up point).

Check the options available with each vendor. They're getting more and more convenient!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
391 Posts
just adding to Bev, even if you choose delivery to your place and the delivery man didn't find you and the box is large, he will automatically go to the nearest 'pointe de retraite' to your address and will leave you a note to go pick it up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
May be it's different elsewhere but after the first couple of deliveries to points relais I have only ever taken my phone with either the email or text on and some id.
I just ask for " le colis dans le nom de M....... svp" or similar ,and off they go and get it. It may help that I have a surname that appears to be unique in France, let alone locally. We use about 6 of these points according to the seller's delivery options of garage, cafe, Vival, Spar, supermarket etc so it's not just one shop not following protocol and they definitely don't know me as I would not normally go to them.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
We've bought a great deal by internet in France. The chief here buys a lot of clothes (Vente Privé have a lot of "leftovers" from the big stores. To say nothing of her arts and crafts hobbies. When we lived in the mountains I was restoring 2 houses I bought a lot of plumbing / electrical products that were not stocked by the very limited local shop.

Internet purchases come by several means

POint de rélai....usually a local shop. you can chose the point when you order. Beware, sometimes some of the choices are 15+ km away! You will need some form of ID until you are known there.

La Poste - either letter post or "parcel post". The postman / lady (facteur / factrice) will parcels up to a certain size or weight. A small printer probably comes within these limits. IF you are not in the postman will leave a "avis de passage" in your letter box. Either it will say he will try again tomorrow or you can collect it at the post office. In our small village the Mairie had a bureau de posted (sub post office) and parcels were left there. We made friends with our factrice (and bought an "expensive " calendar at Christmas....find out about these wretched calendars!). Thus she was willing to bend the rules to be helpful. Postmen have a master key for post boxes, which is why you MUST have a FRench post box! Some suppliers will send an email with the parcel tracking number....go to the La Poste site and you can follow it across France.

Or, the parcel will arrive by a delivery company. If you gave the info when you ordered you may get an email or sms predicting the delivery time. If you are out they will leave a slip and you can telephone for a rdv for delivery. Some delivery drivers have a key for the box. Some drivers are more helpful then others, most seem to under enormous time pressures.

Or, you can make friends with your neighbours and have them accept the parcel. Excuse for an apéro?

Happy buying...DejW

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Better to choose to have your items delivered to a Point Relais near your home. Their hours are usually more extensive than those of the post office, so you have more flexibility for the pickup.
But the OP doesn't have a car, so it would have to be genuinely close to home, whereas La Poste will deliver to the home.

·
Registered
890 Posts
One point that a new to French online shopping purchaser might not be aware of is that you normally have to pay for the delivery as well as the goods, but if you select the point relais and go and then fetch the parcel, it will probably be free.

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
But the OP doesn't have a car, so it would have to be genuinely close to home, whereas La Poste will deliver to the home.
And, don't forget that La Poste includes both Colissimo and Chronopost. Sometimes the vendors indicate delivery by one of these delivery services. Colissimo sometimes comes with the regular mailman, sometimes by a separate delivery van. But both will also deliver to a pick up point, too.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good point! I guess in the less metropolitan areas La Poste actually does deliver the packages... in Paris they typically don't bother even to try the interphone, they just leave the "avis de passage". Super annoying when you've waited home all day for a package only to find that in your mailbox!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.