Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been looking for an online intercambio but as far as I can see it's youngsters in their 20s looking for other youngsters in their 20s. Can anyone recommend a source of intercambios for geriatrics?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hi. I've been looking for an online intercambio but as far as I can see it's youngsters in their 20s looking for other youngsters in their 20s. Can anyone recommend a source of intercambios for geriatrics?
Hi Meetloaf. Here's a really neat site that might be of help. I couldn't find any for the town you have listed (Marina Alta), but perhaps you can find something nearby. I don't know the geography of where you live, so couldn't try nearby places. The age of people is given, so you can easily find out if there's someone your age. Here you go:

Search

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Sorry... I forgot to say that if you're only looking for online (as the title of your thread says), it doesn't matter where you live, and there are tons of people to choose from - even the elderly. Just pick "Spain" as your country and leave the town blank. I hope you find what you're looking for and you'll stop singing this song... :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Try italki.com

Lots of young people use it but I am in regular contact with a few people from there, all between 45 and 55.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for responding. I shall follow up your suggestions. My written Spanish is now greatly improved but I have no chance to practice spoken Spanish as all the locals either want to practice their English or speak Valenciano. It is highly frustrating.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you're close to Javea I know there is a language exchange group in the old town. I don't go so I don't have any details but I could find out more if you need help with that.

italki is great for spoken practice. Most of the people I have met on there want to use Skype for at least a couple of hours a week.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Thank you very much for responding. I shall follow up your suggestions. My written Spanish is now greatly improved but I have no chance to practice spoken Spanish as all the locals either want to practice their English or speak Valenciano. It is highly frustrating.
I have had this problem too, so I now have a rule that we spend half an hour in each language, and set the stopwatch on the phone to tell us when to switch. We take turns on which language we start off in. It works well!

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I have had this problem too, so I now have a rule that we spend half an hour in each language, and set the stopwatch on the phone to tell us when to switch. We take turns on which language we start off in. It works well!
That's exactly what my intercambio partner used to do, when I did one. He took it very seriously and was most punctilious about dividing up the time equally.

By the way, Meetloaf, being in a different age group isn't always a problem. The language school where my intercambio partner and I went for lessons paired us up, and let us use one of their classrooms to meet in. He was in his early 30s and I was mid 50s, but we got on well and were never short of things to talk about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts