I have just completed the bulk of the online application form but I have encountered some issues:
- Maiden Name My wife didn't change her name from her maiden name until she renewed her passport in 2012 but our marriage certificate is 2003. Is that a problem?
- Passport expiry date My wife's old passport has an original expiry date on the photo page and a renewal stamp in the front. Which expiry date should I enter on the form?
- How long do you plan to stay? "permanently", "settlement", "forever and ever Amen" or a date?
- What is the main address and contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK? (name, phone etc.). It's my Mum's house but my brother's family are living there. Who's details do they want, Mum, brother or sponsor?
- How long at present address? Four years without a formal agreement but tenancy agreement from 2017 January. Will saying four years lead to a demand for previous agreement?
- Father and Mother's place and Date of Birth as stated in the passport or travel document These are required fields but those details are not available. We have only the year for her mother (no day or month) and no place. Her father is deceased and only a death certificate is available; no d.o.b or the place. The paper forms allowed you to say "not known" but online form has date fields only, which are required fields.
In case anyone asks, no we can't just go to the government and get the details, they've only recently computerised this kind of thing!
- Have you received treatment in the UK? They want specific dates and they are required fields. We went to a G.P. years ago and paid for a checkup. Can't get the records as my wife would have to travel to the UK in person and even then I wonder how easily traceable they will be. We can't remember what year, how much we paid or even who wrote the Cheque.