Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I only have one week to go before I emigrate. I did post a thread asking for advice on travel insurance but no replies :( Please could I have a couple of suggestions of where to get travel insurance (baggage & medical) for emigration. Only need it for the flight. My existing insurance wouldn't cover me, and I have phoned several companies but they won't cover me as emigrating. What have other people done? I don't really want to chance it as I have a toddler and 80kg of luggage, so any suggestions would be grateful. :)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I can't remember what I did which is why I didn't reply.

I think I simply bought normal travel insurance but I can't be sure.

Have you asked some travel agents what they suggest?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Karen,

I have been into a couple of travel agents, asked Churchill where I have car insurance, I did have travel insurance with my bank, all of them said as I'm emigrating I wouldn't be covered. I have found 'Insure and Go' on internet but many of the reviews I have read have been poor. apart from luggage, just wanted to be coverd in case of illness as flying with a toddler. Once we get to Aus we have permanent residency so don't need cover there. I am going to try and phone Post Office Insurance today.

Thanks

Sarah
I can't remember what I did which is why I didn't reply.

I think I simply bought normal travel insurance but I can't be sure.

Have you asked some travel agents what they suggest?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Thanks for that, had a look a go-walkabout, quoted £42 for me and toddler, thought a bit steep. Post Office, £25 cover for 5 days travel, one way emigration, went with that. I didn't even realise my usual travel insurance wouldn't have covered me for emigration unless I hadn't mentioned it while I was sorting out my bank account with member of staff. Insurance companies will try and get out of paying if they can, and in unlikely event we were to fall ill on route I didn't want to chance it. Anyway all sorted and ready to go, just goodbyes at the weekend then off to Brisbane. Thanks for help. Sarah:)

Hi there,

Check out these websites:

Go Walkabout Travel Insurance - Economy Class Travel Insurance Quote

Direct Travel Insurance - Great Value Holiday Insurance

Travel Insurance | Holiday Insurance from Atlas Direct

Not sure how much it will cost but have a look.

TBH, like Karen, I can't remember what we did. I have a vague recollection we paid for insurance on a return basis....but of course, didn't! Not sure whether that would have been legal!!

Good luck for the move over....
Dolly

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi
Thanks for that, had a look a go-walkabout, quoted £42 for me and toddler, thought a bit steep. Post Office, £25 cover for 5 days travel, one way emigration, went with that. I didn't even realise my usual travel insurance wouldn't have covered me for emigration unless I hadn't mentioned it while I was sorting out my bank account with member of staff. Insurance companies will try and get out of paying if they can, and in unlikely event we were to fall ill on route I didn't want to chance it. Anyway all sorted and ready to go, just goodbyes at the weekend then off to Brisbane. Thanks for help. Sarah:)
Best of luck with the new life Sarah!

It never occurred to me about the insurance. Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts