Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been mentioned in the forum already. Been looking for decently priced one way flights from the UK to Perth towards the end of the year (maybe October ish) and don't seem to be having much luck. I was able to book a return flight (for a holiday) for around £560 last month which I though was great. When I look for one way tickets I get around about the same price or more.

Now we all know that returns works out the best financially for us but c'mon, surely there's decent prices out there somewhere?! Don't think it helps that the Tory government in Britain charges too much in tax to leave our own country! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
One way tickets are often more expensive than round trip tickets because of fare rules. Round trip tickets often have specific pricing rules that you don't typically see when you're booking the flight - things like minimum stay, maximum stay, stopover restrictions etc. - that just don't apply to one way fares. The other issue is that airlines still work on antiquated pricing models. The thinking was that if an airline sold a one way ticket for half the price of a round trip ticket, a passenger could theoretically book one leg with one airline and the return leg with another airline, thus driving revenue away from their airline. Pricing the one way flight at or above the cost of the return flight prevents that sort of thing from happening.

You could always book the "return" flight to the UK for a distant point in the future and then use that flight as a holiday home. You could also try contacting IOM to see if their flights are cheaper (they weren't for me but some people on here have had some luck with them). IOM Australia Site

1 - 3 of 3 Posts