Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear readers,

We are considering renting a car in Paris and driving to Beziers. We are moving from USA to France. But we are bringing out dog and cat. That is the reason we do not want to change planes or have any lay-overs. We do not want our dog or cat to get lost in transit. We need to get to Beziers. Thus we think the best option is to rent a car in Paris airport and drive to Beziers. We would like to rent the car for a week. Is it possible in France to rent a car in one city and return it to another city?

Thanks
Timo

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Dear readers,

We are considering renting a car in Paris and driving to Beziers. We are moving from USA to France. But we are bringing out dog and cat. That is the reason we do not want to change planes or have any lay-overs. We do not want our dog or cat to get lost in transit. We need to get to Beziers. Thus we think the best option is to rent a car in Paris airport and drive to Beziers. We would like to rent the car for a week. Is it possible in France to rent a car in one city and return it to another city?

Thanks
Timo
It's possible but expensive - you will also pay a premium for collecting from the airport location. Then you'll have to deal with Paris traffic!

I'd try the TGV - use Travel By Train In Europe: Eurorail, Eurail Passes & Train Tickets from Rail Europe - it's fast, convenient and if you buy your tickets here, much cheaper.

Cheers

David

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
I'd second the TGV idea. If you're flying into Roissy (CDG) there's a TGV station at the airport. (You may have to change trains to get to the line you're looking for - but maybe not.) If you're flying into Orly (probably not, if you're coming from the States), you need to take the Orly-Val to the RER and then the RER to Massy-Palaiseau, where there is a TGV station.

The one advantage of Orly would be that you'd already be south of Paris and if you insist on driving, you would be able to avoid having to drive through or around Paris on arrival. If you really want to drive it, you might want to transfer from Roissy to Orly (via shuttle bus - though I'm not sure if they'll take the pets or not) or the RER, which will take you to the Antony station where you can get the Orly Val to the airport at Orly.

A little convoluted, but probably worth it to avoid the Paris traffic.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dear readers,

Thanks
Timo
Hello Timo.

Yes it's possible as that's what we did. We flew into Frankfurt because we brought our dog and Lufthansa is very pet friendly. Also, we wanted to spend some time in Germany as we lived there for 20 years. We dropped our car off at the airport in Montpellier. Shop the internet for the best deals.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I checked several car rental companies, and the prices look very reasonable to me for a one way rental (drop off in Beziers). So that is what we will do. Fly into Paris, rent a car, drive south a few miles to get out of the city, find a hotel, sleep, wake up the next day, and drive to Beziers. Our dog is on the large side, 50 lbs.

Thanks
Timo

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Hello,

I checked several car rental companies, and the prices look very reasonable to me for a one way rental (drop off in Beziers). So that is what we will do. Fly into Paris, rent a car, drive south a few miles to get out of the city, find a hotel, sleep, wake up the next day, and drive to Beziers. Our dog is on the large side, 50 lbs.

Thanks
Timo
You can save some extra money by using a third-party insurance company such as Car Hire Insurance | Car Rental Excess Insurance and declining all the rental company insurances. You could also take a cab to hotel south of Paris and avoid the airport surcharge. Just some ideas

Cheers

David

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Timo
Some car rental companies offer GPS systems for an additional charge. If you will be driving in Paris, you may be glad you rented one of these. :)

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
Some car rental companies offer GPS systems for an additional charge. If you will be driving in Paris, you may be glad you rented one of these. :)
Depending on what time your flight arrives, you may want to delay your departure from the airport by a bit - get lunch or something so you avoid the heavy traffic periods (i.e. morning commute and the lunch time mini-rush hour).

Heading south from Roissy, you'll want to take the periphérique around Paris rather than drive straight through the city, no matter what time of day. Ideally, if you have a GPS you currently use, just get the French or European maps and use that when you arrive. I find it's really nice to be able to use a "familiar" voice and system to navigate your way through unfamiliar territory.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.