Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is a known and presumed fact that when you have an accident in the boonies in places like Chiapas, while you are iincapacitated the local cops will steeal you wallet. This is a local tradiition.

We were being detained in the middle of the night in the local jail in Unión Juarez on the Guatemla border having had our money stolen by the local cops and they decided to reléase us and allow us to go back to our hotel in Tapachula. That is quiite a distance in the dark of night so along caame the federal cops to give us a ride. Once we were in the fed´s vehicle and on our way back to Tapachula, we told them the Unión Juarez cops had stolen our money and they responded that they always stole the money of accident victims but there as nothing to be done about it so just write off the money. So, there were were at 2:00AM in the middle if the wilderness between Union Juarez amd Tapachula in the shadow of the Tacaná Volcano and the fedral cops demanded that we either pay them $5,000 Pesos.for a ride back to our hotel or we could walk so we responded , how do we come up with the money? They took us to the nearest TTM and that $5,000 Pesos bought us a ticket to the hotel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have been stopped perhaps three/four times in three years by Federal Police. Every time the police had nothing but our interest at heart, checked out our paperwork, perhaps issued warnings and then wished us a good trip. But we have been no where near the Guatemalan border to date. I think I should say we have received the same friendly attitude from both the Cuernevacan and Moreleos police as well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Man, what a sad experience, Hound Dog! I remember you telling that story in another post I started about concern for public safety in the face of official corruption... my post was prompted from reading a book my daughter gave me about violence in Ciudad Juarez.

However, my experiences with state police & local transito have ranged from the whimsical (a challenge to arm wrestle) to obvious pandering for a mordida; but never have I felt in danger or threatened. Over the past several years in our travels, our experiences have more been like Cuerna's, almost with a tone of urgency about assuring our safety. Most of our encounters have been in & around the same area - Taxco & Cuernavaca, with some in the state of Veracruz.

I do, however, understand the uneasiness of being pulled over unexpectedly - or having to depend on them in a moment of need beyond your personal control. It can feel like a round of roulette until you know the character (or humor) of who you are dealing with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts