Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Through your help in the past my wife got her US passport (dual nationality she was born in the UK to US father) and we then put our house up for sale to help us get to the next stage of moving.

The house never looked like selling so we held off on filling out the I-130 form.

We then booked to visit the wifes family in Idaho in August.

As we were getting no viewings after a few months we changed estate agents and sold the house within a week which was in July this year!

We then filled out the I-130, everything moved so quickly, we went to Idaho and on our return we received a letter from the US embassy to say it had been approved and sent on to the next person.

It was good to go to Idaho to talk to people over there mainly about jobs etc, my wife is a physio therapist and after going to the state board office and one of the major local hospital's we got the details of her sending all her certificates etc to Delaware to get them accredited for US equivalant.
The people we met were great gave us an hours tour of the facilities at the hospital and took all my wifes details, they were very keen that she keeps in touch and to let them know when we think we may get to Idaho.

We went to the local IRS about getting her back taxes filed and they didnt know what she should do and geve us a free phone number to call to find out.
Her father rang and after about 1 hour and talking to 4 different people they said she just needs to file since she received her passport. But over the next couple of weeks we are trying to get this sorted and sent to teh IRS.
To us though it looks like she needs to file for herself only and for the last 3 years.

We also went to the social security office and they gave her a letter to say we had been and that she tried to get her number, the problem was she only had 1 photograped form of ID and she needed 2.

Since we have come back we have looked at the form that she will need to fill out when we here from the embassy, which we think is the I-864, on it she needs her social security number so will she need to visit the embassy in London to get this?

Also the hospital we visited said they are always recruiting physio therapists and have sent e-mails saying they would like to employ my wife, there is the previso that she passes the state board exam, so work wise for when we get out there is nothing set in stone.

We have the money in the bank from the house sale which we have sorted out wiring across when we feel the exchange rate is right. We opened accounts when we visited in August and spoke to the manager there.

We are going to live with her father till we both get work and he is more than happy for us to live with him until we are settled and purchase our own house, would we need a letter from him to verify this for my interview at the embassy?

After reading this any advice would be much appreciated, sorry if its a bit long winded but I was trying to explain where we are and what we have tried to do so far.

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Congratulations -- you seem to be moving forward.

There's a social security office at the London Embassy who should be able to issue the card and number. Try contacting them about what they need for ID -- they may be a little more flexible than the US offices. Info is on the Embassy's web page. She's not going to get far without one -- it is the national ID number by default rather than design.

You've presumably got an address to work with in Idaho so try using that for her to establish residence. Would be a good idea for her to go for a driver license if you're over again -- this gives her another government issued photo ID.

Yep -- the I-864 is going to go on hold until she's got the SSN. That's your next task.

Evidence that she is taking steps to obtain a US physiotherapist's license is important in showing her intent to establish domicile in the US, as is opening the bank account and arranging somewhere to live (her father's). Make sure you document this.

The I-864 needs to go in with the tax returns, I believe. Are these done? Presumably with the sale of your house, you'll have enough capital so satisfy the 3 x 125% x poverty level to pass this requirement? If not, you'll need a co-sponsor.

Other stuff to start sorting that you'll need in the next few months: official copies of birth certificates (long form), marriage certificates, previous divorce certificates (if applicable), police certificate. Note though that the police certificate must be less than one year old at the time you enter the US on an immigrant visa -- but I think you could probably apply soonish to get it out of the way.

Holler if you need more.

FB

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Another job to keep you busy while solving that SSN problem:

Print out the table @ Embassy of the U.S. London: Vaccination Chart

Get yourself down your GP with it. You'll need documentation on headed paper from him/her to show you've had all the necessary jabs. They'll be much cheaper having them done now than at the official medical at Knightsbridge private doctor prices.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fatbrit,

Thanks for both your replies, I have printed off the vacination chart and I will see my Dr, there seems to be 3 vacinations that relate to me but I will check this out before I book my medical appointment in London.

As yet we havent filed my wifes taxes we are in the process of doing that.

Today we had a letter from the embassy asking us to gather all the information in preperation for booking the visa appointment.

Due to work we cannot get to London till the 30th of Septmeber for my wife to get her SSN, we are just making sure that you can walk in and dont need an appointment for her obtaing that, at least when we have got we should have most of the other eveidence in place or on the way.

Thanks again
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts