Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming over on Monday, two very hectic days of house viewing and 'on the ground' research - so hope we are not going to be disappointed, the houses look so fab in the pictures, but probably be the first of quite a few trips. Bit like a blind date, lot of anticipation and then reality kicks in! If nothing else can find out how rusty my French has become and sample some French red wine. Wish us luck. We have strict instructions from our son to find a house with a fountain - don't ask me why! :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not certain how much research you can do in two days... I would suggest living in France on a longer term to make certain about the area

Tank

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I agree with Tanksy - you need more time to look around and find out more. Like the old joke, you need time to find the glue factory and its horrible smell that is only 1 km away but smells as if it's next door.

Also remember that it's still "summer" - winter in France can be grey.

Good luck with the fountain!

DejW

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Certainly not summer here DejW - has been grey, overcast, miserable, drizzly, rainy, windy, thunderstormy, and that kind of chilly cold which gets to the bones; leaves (the ones that haven't already been blown away) are coming out in their autumn hues - which would be glorious in sunshine - but just look sad, drenched as they are :(

& for info., I bought this place in a 24-hr turn-around from the UK (a very packed day), when I visited the school, Mairie, Post Office, other Immobiliers, etc etc having set up appointments in advance, and knowing something of the area already, and doing loads of homework for things I didn't know. Yes, I did make some mistakes, but relatively they're minor, and more specifically related to the property - which the Brit vendor hid incredibly successfully.

I really don't think I'd have learned any more had I rented in advance, except probably to offer well below the 10% below asking price that I did - but I was happy with the price at the time, so that was fine. &, having been here for 11 years already - anniversary today :) - I really haven't seen any other property I'd rather have bought.

SO ... there's no advice associated with this, just anecdotal tales.

h :)

Just realised: one more year & sprog will have spent as much of her life in France as she did in the UK!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the dream - will it become a nightmare???

After 6 rather disappointing viewings and a final visit that entailed driving up a track that I was afraid led to nowhere we found our dream home - she says!It was the last one we had seen before leaving UK on internet, estate agent was away so arranging viewing with owners as we were flying in. We absolutely loved it, if I could have written a list of dream things this one had it all.

Of course it is above our budget, but not by much, and it is ready to move in it is so perfect, which is something we didn't think would happen and therefore less expensive in the long run - I am trying to convince hubby of this, promising not to change a thing!!!

The haggling and heartache now starts - hopefully there will be a happy ending. Thanksfor all advice so far - I'll be back for more I'm sure. :wave:

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Does it have a fountain ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a 'bird bath' the owners said they would see what they could do about making a fountain out of it - bless them! It has the most beautiful garden, and they also said they weren't prepared to sell it to anyone who didn't like gardening and actually gave me a little test on my gardening knowledge - luckily I passed! So far so good, am keeping everything crossed regarding the next stages, one dare not hope to dream really. Met some lovely people whilst there and everyone has helpful hints and tips to pass on and lots of success stories. We can but try.

·
Registered
289 Posts
After 6 rather disappointing viewings and a final visit that entailed driving up a track that I was afraid led to nowhere we found our dream home - she says!It was the last one we had seen before leaving UK on internet, estate agent was away so arranging viewing with owners as we were flying in. We absolutely loved it, if I could have written a list of dream things this one had it all.

Of course it is above our budget, but not by much, and it is ready to move in it is so perfect, which is something we didn't think would happen and therefore less expensive in the long run - I am trying to convince hubby of this, promising not to change a thing!!!

The haggling and heartache now starts - hopefully there will be a happy ending. Thanksfor all advice so far - I'll be back for more I'm sure. :wave:
Bon chance - its amazing what you get for your money compared with the UK - what department?

When you move the cash I would recommend using a foreign exchane broker - Katy Rexstrew <[email protected]> works for a family run broker, we met them at Place in the Sun

Tank

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dordogne

Thanks a lot for that info. The house (converted barn) is just in the Dordogne, near Payzac. A good offer is on the table, they have even thrown in the furniture, which is a good job as its twice the size of our current home. Trying not to get too excited, I know this is just the beginning of a very long journey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.