Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in learning about Italian history during the renaissance period. I, looking for some online courses. I know on another thread there was links to some educational sites?

·
Banned
92 Posts
This is very good for you - as is learning a new language - helps stop or delays the creeping up of Alzheimer's in older people.

Try the open university; there are many links from art to the courts.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I am very interested in learning about Italian history during the renaissance period. I, looking for some online courses. I know on another thread there was links to some educational sites?
I've done a lot of FutureLearn courses but I don't remember one specifically about the Italian renaissance. There was a good one about the Mediterranean, trade routes etc in the Renaissance period which was really interesting. You can sign up for alerts and get notified of what's coming up.

There's a service called Course Central which will advise you of courses from providers all round the world.

https://www.class-central.com/

In the meantime, lots of nice videos on YouTube to keep you busy.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I thoroughly recommend these courses, moocs I believe they're known as.
Alca introduced me to them and I completed several on topics as diverse as the British Empire, the Holocaust and the Global Financial Crisis.
My biggest regret since getting closely involved with dog rescue is that I just don't have time for them anymore.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I studied History of Art with the Open University., would recommend them. Also did a refresh your Latin with the local third age, was quite a high standard. Do they still cave the Unversity of third age on the CDS?

So much around on the net it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff, bit like a lot of those crappy Spanish courses offered.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I thoroughly recommend these courses, moocs I believe they're known as.
Alca introduced me to them and I completed several on topics as diverse as the British Empire, the Holocaust and the Global Financial Crisis.
My biggest regret since getting closely involved with dog rescue is that I just don't have time for them anymore.
Much more rewarding though:)

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is very good for you - as is learning a new language - helps stop or delays the creeping up of Alzheimer's in older people.

Try the open university; there are many links from art to the courts.
I studied History of Art with the Open University., would recommend them. Also did a refresh your Latin with the local third age, was quite a high standard. Do they still cave the Unversity of third age on the CDS?

So much around on the net it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff, bit like a lot of those crappy Spanish courses offered.
Trouble with OU courses they are prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But they are "real courses" or if you want fake courses and unverified facts, just read wiki..
Really do you have to be so ..... OU courses are very very expensive, tbe courses recommended by the other posters are very good, I have also found free courses from MIT and there are a few free courses in OU.

So no I don't want " fake" courses, but we do not all have thousands of euros to splash about, wish I did , but there you are clearly , according to your logic, I'll just have to remain in ignorant bliss:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Much more rewarding though:)
Last month we found homes for thirty- one dogs...we had under one hndred in our kennels. But we've recently had boxes of puppies dumped literally at our gstes, thirty- eight at one point. But people love pups and over ten have been adopted already.

We get visitors from all over the world and we have interesting and very informative discussions about all kinds of topics. It's good to learn what diverse Finns, Americans, Russians, Scandinavians and Poles think about current issues.

I'd really like to learn more about art and music. I enjoy looking at paintings and love music of all kinds but have no understanding of much outside history and politics:(
Looking back, I think my many years of education were far too narrow and deep. All the things I really enjoy, literature, opera, some painting, I discovered for myself.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Coursera is another good site but I have no idea of what Italian history they may offer.

One of the issues with some of the paid courses available is the final testing. You need to be able to find someone like a schools headmaster, minister of religion or a JP who can oversee your final tests.
I'm not sure if anyone in Spain offers this type of service if you don't know any of the above.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Some of the FutureLearn courses I did were run by the Open University. All MOOCs run by bona fide universities. You can pay if you want a certificate or indefinite access to materials after the course has finished. Otherwise they are free.

Of course, you don't get one-to-one tutorials or individual feedback as you would with a paid-for course. Some are better than others. But you often learn as much from the discussions as from the tutors, especially on topics like European Culture and Society, or The American South. And some ask you to write a short essay (optional) which is marked by another student, and you mark theirs.

I've jsut signed up for one about Spanish films, which some of you might enjoy; it will study the works of Luis Buñuel, Pedro Almodóvar and Guillermo del Toro. It lasts three weeks and starts at the end of September.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/hispanic-culture-film

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Some of the FutureLearn courses I did were run by the Open University. All MOOCs run by bona fide universities. You can pay if you want a certificate or indefinite access to materials after the course has finished. Otherwise they are free.

Of course, you don't get one-to-one tutorials or individual feedback as you would with a paid-for course. Some are better than others. But you often learn as much from the discussions as from the tutors, especially on topics like European Culture and Society, or The American South. And some ask you to write a short essay (optional) which is marked by another student, and you mark theirs.

I've jsut signed up for one about Spanish films, which some of you might enjoy; it will study the works of Luis Buñuel, Pedro Almodóvar and Guillermo del Toro. It lasts three weeks and starts at the end of September.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/hispanic-culture-film
I'll definitely try to make time for that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts