Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We're moving to Aus. in a few weeks, excited, very nervous and you know the rest.

We're going on a spouse visa and we do not have jobs waiting for us.

We'll need to buy a new car, rent a house, look for work, medicare, health insurance, tax, find work, get the children into schools, etc...:eek:

First rent a house, then car, do we need to rent a car, or can we buy it on arrival?
Can we rent a house before starting to work?

We'd rather settle quickly to have the children in school while we look for work....

I need advice regarding what did you do on arrival, where did you start?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Busyte, relocating to new place isn't easy, many have relocated to Australia and they have been welcomed wholeheartedly by Australia's multicultural society.

I would suggest you to have a look at <snip> and Things to do First as it would asnwer most of your questions.

Best wishes for early settlement.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
When you first arrive in Oz, you may need temporary accommodation such as a hotel, motel or serviced apartment, until you find a place you want to live.

Tips for temporary accommodation include:

Book your accommodation in advance to secure a place to stay as there is a high demand for short-term accommodation especially during holidays and major international events.
Find a storage facility in oz for goods that you have shipped over if necessary. Visit the Self Storage Association of Australasia website.
Check the location of your temporary accommodation before you book, to see how close it is to:
where you think you might want to live, or are likely to find a job any friends you have..
public transport and other amenities
Types of accommodation

Serviced apartments

Serviced apartments are fully furnished and ready to live in. Prices range from about A$60 to A$300 per night – the rate usually becomes cheaper the longer you stay. For more information, visit the following websites:

www.Aussieapartments.com.au
www.Australianexplorer.com
www.Serviced-apartments.com.au
www.domain.com.au

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for your replies!!!

They were fantastic for us to know all the steps.

Thank you.

Best wishes!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts

Bom dia Butsye, Como Vai?

Which city are you moving to?? If you let me know, I may be able to help you more. I know a lot about Perth, and a lot about Melbourne.

As Mr India said, you are best staying in serviced apartments at the start. If you have money for a new car, then rent a car from the airport but buy a car as soon as you can.

You will want to find a job and house as soon as possible, check with locals or this site about which suburb is safe. I cannot post links to websites yet, I will post later.

Boa Sorte Butsye.

[removed by moderator - please notes all posts should be in English]

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
We bought a car within a few days but we paid cash (bank transfer) since we didn't have any regular income at that stage.

Renting may be more difficult since you can't show income but offer to pay a higher deposit (bond) and you may be okay. We had already bought here so didn't have to rent.

Don't forget to check the threads at the top of the forum for Dolly's lists since they will help.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
search for sattystevens, she had posted her initial few days experience sometime back and it wa san interesting read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts