Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have credible leads for anyone offering safe and clean flats or spare rooms near Tube stations at modest rates during the last week of July and first two weeks of August in London?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Does anyone have credible leads for anyone offering safe and clean flats or spare rooms near Tube stations at modest rates during the last week of July and first two weeks of August in London?
Hi,
I am sorry for being so direct, but your wish list: it is only a wish list. You "might" have to know somebody -and of course be here- in order to secure anything, and if you do the rates/prices are going to be high.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been in three Olympic cities (while on a very modest budget) and those that insist on charging high prices right to the last minute will be very disappointed if they don't already have bookings. Those that appreciate international visitors, deal fairly and offer moderate prices will be pleased with both what they earn and the new international friends they make. I would be glad to hear from those in the latter category who would be interested in the prospect of a reliable and trustworthy short-term tenant.

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Dude, your wish list is not any more likely to happen than the Province of BC getting rid of the homeless problem in the DTES... housing in London are stupidly expensive, and as such the rates that potential places to let over the Games are going to charge are going to reflect this.

If there were places to let at the specifications you've asked, I would imagine that they're gone, given that London is so very expensive and the Games are less than 4 weeks away.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I think you'd have better chance of securing a room to let (not a flat) if prepared to commit on the basis of not seeing first (though expect to pay a large deposit in order to secure the room). The Olympics area is serviced by the Jubilee line which runs right through the centre of London, so any route that brings you into London will get you out to the park after a tube change or two (that can still mean an hour's travel, but by now I imagine the best-located accommodation has already been snapped up).

New developments are springing up in the area like someone's poured growth hormone over building sites, but these are likely to be expensive apartments given the area is morphing from dump to enterprise area and also boasts close proximity to the city centre, so 'modest' won't be an option there.

An alternative option might be to secure some accommodation further up the east coast mainline in Essex such as Ilford, Chelmsford etc. Although further away, the mainline rail service is fast and will probably get you to Stratford (station for the Olympics park) quicker than a lot of underground tube changes.

·
Super Moderator
18,015 Posts
I have been in three Olympic cities (while on a very modest budget) and those that insist on charging high prices right to the last minute will be very disappointed if they don't already have bookings. Those that appreciate international visitors, deal fairly and offer moderate prices will be pleased with both what they earn and the new international friends they make. I would be glad to hear from those in the latter category who would be interested in the prospect of a reliable and trustworthy short-term tenant.
What possibly differs from your other Olympic experiences is that London is a cosmopolitan city. Your average Londoner has no shortage of international friends, acquaintances and random daily interactions.

Your prospects of finding cheap, safe, convenient accommodation during the London Olympics less than 4 weeks before it starts are pretty slim. Anyplace with those criteria, well other than cheap, will have been snapped at least a year ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts

You can try couch surfing, its an online community which is designed to help people meet new friends and hosts around the world. Tap couch surfing into Google and you'll easily find the website. You may find someone to host you in london for free. I think a month might be a tough, but worth a try or perhaps you can find several hosts over that time period.

A friend of mine has visited and hosted and they love it. Apparently there is a feedback system like ebay. Depending on your personality it may work out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have spoken to many estate agents and short term accommodation agents and they have said demand is really quiet -so I am sure you will be able to get something.
I have a contact for places in Wimbledon - but you may prefer to be nearer the games in the East of London?
My suggestion would be to check out some of the more established companies on the internet - try and avoid those trying to make megga money.
You really should be able to get something reasonable - let me know if Wimbledon suits and I can give you the details.
Thanks
Helen Marino

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.