Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly - thank you so much for any help you can give me.

My partner is a US citizen and I am a UK citizen and we have been together for around a year. We would like to apply for the fiance visa at the begining of Oct once I have my 6 months pay slips for my 2nd job (took another to meet the financial requirements.)

Have been looking into app to make sure we're prepared but have a question re the criminal offences section on the application for (question 6.9)

My partner was charged with spray painting when he was an idiotic 18 year old (now 18 years ago) and received 50 hours community service. Does this need to be declared? Also he was unfairly arrested for "disorderly conduct and resisting arrest" 8 years ago, however the charges were dropped and he was just given a nominal fine. His record will show an arrest but not charge. Will this need to be declared? The rules seem very wooly! I also know he has had a couple of speeding tickets throughout his entire life (as have I) but probably more than 10 years ago. I know it doesn't sound good but really his only "crime" was spray painting 18 years ago. Can anyone give me advice on the implications of these issues?

I am really freaking out as the whole process is so difficult and stressful anyway and now this! Do you think it will cause us any issue with our application? We can't bear to do long distance anymore and we love each other. I just want to be able to be with him. Thanks so much

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
He has to declare ALL his criminal convictions, fines, speeding tickets no matter how long ago. And it's up to UKVI to decide whether he is ineligible for a visa on suitability ground (is he the sport of person the government would be happy about entering and staying in UK long-term?)
For those offences that would be considered spent under UK law will normally be disregarded, but Home Office is given a fairly wide power of discretion. I wouldn't have thought that sort of history he has will disqualify him from a visa, but I don't make the decision. In any case, he should be frank, honest in declaring, accept full responsibility (not blame anyone else) and promise won't happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many thanks for your response. And apologies for cross posting. I guess I was just eager to get an answer and reading around the subject.

I know his history doesn't look great but he absolutely is the sort of person the government would want to be here long term. He was born with one hand and has always got a fair bit of stick for it. That's what the issue with the disorder/resisting arrest etc was regarding and it was a misunderstanding so the charges were dropped. He is a bright, friendly, gentle human. His history makes him look like some awful yob which is frustrating as I am working so hard to make us eligible for the finances etc (2 jobs and counting) and I'm already fretting. I really wish he hadn't done these silly things in his youth but he has and I'm just trying to make sure we can do our very best to make this work. I know the visa apps are discretionary but all of the issues would be "spent" as far as I can see. We will declare them all and add a letter to explain. He really, truly is sorry. Our application isn't the simplest to start with so hopefully all will be well. Thank you once again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.