Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am happy to say I have my shiny visa in my passport!! After quite a bit of stress, money, confusion, money, more stress, and more money... I am all moved and living in the UK with my husband!!

I have been feeling a touch under the weather this week, which while not actually serious enough to merit a hospital visit, has made my husband and I realize we have no idea what we are supposed to do now legally.

Could someone shed some light on his responsibilities now - does he need to somehow register that I am here? Do I need to be applying or registering for things? Expats are not common in our town so there isnt anyone reliable to ask. I tried good old 'googling' but it's not a concise question so I'm really getting nowhere. Turning up at the emergency room somewhere down the road doesn't seem like a smart way to find out what we missed.

I don't only mean NHS anyway. Are there other things we need to be doing to prevent complications later? :confused2:

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
I am happy to say I have my shiny visa in my passport!! After quite a bit of stress, money, confusion, money, more stress, and more money... I am all moved and living in the UK with my husband!!

I have been feeling a touch under the weather this week, which while not actually serious enough to merit a hospital visit, has made my husband and I realize we have no idea what we are supposed to do now legally.

Could someone shed some light on his responsibilities now - does he need to somehow register that I am here? Do I need to be applying or registering for things? Expats are not common in our town so there isnt anyone reliable to ask. I tried good old 'googling' but it's not a concise question so I'm really getting nowhere. Turning up at the emergency room somewhere down the road doesn't seem like a smart way to find out what we missed.

I don't only mean NHS anyway. Are there other things we need to be doing to prevent complications later? :confused2:
Congratulations on the move :)

You might want to start with registering with the local GP and a dentist, applying for a national insurance number and either getting added to your husband's bank account or getting your own (this might or might not be trickier for Americans than for other nationalities due to some American laws - in Germany you'd probably have a problem in that regard, not sure about the UK).

·
Registered
924 Posts

The first thing to do is for you both to go to the Council office and put you on the tax bill. Ask them for a letter right then, and for an updated bill to be mailed to you. The letter should be enough proof of address to take to the Surgery (Dr office), along with your passport, to register. (I also took my US driver's license, just for an additional proof of ID.) The posted bill is an even stronger proof for everything that requires proof of address - library card, community groups, UK driver's license application, bank account, etc.

Once you are registered for the doctor, they will send in for your NHS number and you should receive a letter in the mail. Keep this in a safe place for future reference. Every piece of "official" mail is now important over the next 2.5 years to prove residence when you next apply for FLR, so start putting pieces into a file.

The next thing I did was find a bank. I was able to open a very simple individual account with my husband's bank - Clydesdale. I then spoke with HSBC and I could have gotten a basic account there as well, if I hadn't already opened the Clydesdale account. Apparently, HSBC doesn't allow new accounts for expats unless they are the primary account. The bank statements you receive are another piece of documentation. Checks are extremely rarely used here, so all you'll really need is a debit card.

If you are planning to work, you can apply for the National Insurance Number (don't confuse this with the NHS number - it is for tax purposes! :) ) Click here for more info: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number. Another extremely important document to keep in a safe place. :)

Once you have a couple of these steps done, you will be well on your way to acclimating and getting established. Good luck!

Reactions: Elan1547
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.