Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some information on Public Schools structure of USA.

How are the public schools? I think, they don't charge any fees, is it correct? As far as I know in country like AUS or CAN, the concept is same but they do have some voluntary contribution. Do I need to pay such contribution in USA too?

What is difference between Public and Private school?[from non immigrant point of view]

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Public education does not charge tuition but there are materials, lab fees, fees for sports/band/..., trips, lunch, after school,care, ... Your address determines which public school your child attends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Public education does not charge tuition but there are materials, lab fees, fees for sports/band/..., trips, lunch, after school,care, ... Your address determines which public school your child attends.
Hey, I am non-immigrant and will be there in Cincinnati, OH by Dec.

thanks for the info, but can you mention what will be additional cost we will face for Public school. You can share a avg. tentative, as I know it will vary across area and school.

My daughter is of 6 years and will attend 1st grade, based on it can you provide some rough estimates?

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
It varies by school district, but your immigrant/non-immigrant status shouldn't make any difference. For a 1st graders, the main expenses will be school supplies and maybe the odd field trip. It's later on (junior high and high school) that the fees for extracurricular activities get a bit higher.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hey, I am non-immigrant and will be there in Cincinnati, OH by Dec.

thanks for the info, but can you mention what will be additional cost we will face for Public school. You can share a avg. tentative, as I know it will vary across area and school.

My daughter is of 6 years and will attend 1st grade, based on it can you provide some rough estimates?
Contact the respective school district for numbers. There is no way to guess an average. A friend had a 6 year old in public school in Alabama years ago and extras were in the 2k range per months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts