Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Normally I would be pleased to hear of proposed new investment in Spain bringing more jobs, but I really hope this project to build one of their horrible skyscraper bling palaces in Málaga port comes to nothing. It would look so out of place.:(

Un grupo de Qatar propone al alcalde un hotel de lujo de 130 metros en el puerto . SUR.es
Will it happen?? Afterall, there were big plans to build an enormous Disney theme park when we were looking at moving to Spain 6 years ago

Jo xxx

·
Registered
958 Posts
Will it happen?? Afterall, there were big plans to build an enormous Disney theme park when we were looking at moving to Spain 6 years ago

Jo xxx
Remember that Jo and also 12 or 14years ago plans for a new airport at Antequera which came to no avail.I think any investment in Andalucia at the moment is great but I am sure investors can find nicer things to invest in than a sky scraper.Although visitors would come to look at it and think what a blot on the landscape,but hey this is Spain and after all the years me and the missus have lived here nothing would surprise me.Regards.SB.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Remember that Jo and also 12 or 14years ago plans for a new airport at Antequera which came to no avail.I think any investment in Andalucia at the moment is great but I am sure investors can find nicer things to invest in than a sky scraper.Although visitors would come to look at it and think what a blot on the landscape,but hey this is Spain and after all the years me and the missus have lived here nothing would surprise me.Regards.SB.
Lol, the planned airport for Antequera was hilarious. There is not even enough demand to open and use the second runway at Malaga airport for more than a handful of days a year :roll:

Did that proposed high speed AVE train testing facility for Antequera ever get past the drawing board?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Lol, the planned airport for Antequera was hilarious. There is not even enough demand to open and use the second runway at Malaga airport for more than a handful of days a year :roll:

Did that proposed high speed AVE train testing facility for Antequera ever get past the drawing board?
Totally agree with you LOL.But I tell you what know a couple of estate agents who sold a fair number of properties on the pretense of this airport being built as some people were naive enough to think it was going to happen and be onto a winner. LOL.

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21797

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Jo xxx
Hopefully not, may it join all the other touted developments that came to nought - including the Formula 1 race track our esteemed former Alcalde once wanted to see built just outside Vélez next to the airfield.:D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hopefully not, may it join all the other touted developments that came to nought - including the Formula 1 race track our esteemed former Alcalde once wanted to see built just outside Vélez next to the airfield.:D
There were proposals to build a F1 track between Alhaurin de la Torre and Malaga airport - its seems they're full of ideas, bureaucracy gets in the way.

They do need to do something tho. Spain has such wonderful resources and space. Altho its not going to be to everyones liking, it really needs to put some of these ideas into action, to give it an economic boost

Jo xxx

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
This sort of development is likely to happen because the soverign wealth funds in Qatar (and UAE) are heavily investing in property and development deals all around the world.
This is to reinvest their oil revenues and spread the risk against oil price fluctuations.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
This sort of development is likely to happen because the soverign wealth funds in Qatar (and UAE) are heavily investing in property and development deals all around the world.
This is to reinvest their oil revenues and spread the risk against oil price fluctuations.
Cheers
Steve
Fine - but why can't they build things more in keeping with the character of the places they're investing in instead of these (to quote Prince Charles) monstrous carbuncles? Something like the Burj-al-Arab may look OK in Dubai which is almost totally modern, but a similar style of building in a historic Spanish city? No thanks, although I'm aware that's just my personal opinion. If more luxury hotels are needed I would far, far rather see more projects like the restoration of the Hotel Miramar, a fine old buildiing which had stood empty on the Malaga seafront for many years, which is due to reopen as a 5 star hotel later this year.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Fine - but why can't they build things more in keeping with the character of the places they're investing in instead of these (to quote Prince Charles) monstrous carbuncles? Something like the Burj-al-Arab may look OK in Dubai which is almost totally modern, but a similar style of building in a historic Spanish city? No thanks, although I'm aware that's just my personal opinion. If more luxury hotels are needed I would far, far rather see more projects like the restoration of the Hotel Miramar, a fine old buildiing which had stood empty on the Malaga seafront for many years, which is due to reopen as a 5 star hotel later this year.
Hi,
Couldn't agree more - but the people investing in these projects don't have a European mindset (or sophistication) and they are simply looking for somewhere to invest their money.
They tend to think that whatever works well in their own countries can be replicated elsewhere.
Once they flash the cash - it seems that greed takes over and local stakeholders ensure that projects go ahead.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I seem to remember that there has been a few skyscraper projects in Malaga over the years. The one in Benidorm ended in tears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
But you'd have agree that it would bring jobs and non governmental stimulus. Now, hopefully it's a project not rampant with corruption.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
At least Marbella had the sense to reject the proposed building of a few of them there.
There was talk of constructing an Island of Marbella too. (like the one in Dubai, but that seems to be falling into the sea!) The sheik who owns Malaga football club was fronting it, Planning permission was received and then he didn't come up with the cash. Everything has now gone quiet.

Malaga has had some good projects finished. Muelle uno is a pleasant place to spend a few hours.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But you'd have agree that it would bring jobs and non governmental stimulus. Now, hopefully it's a project not rampant with corruption.
Of course it would bring jobs and economic stimulus (I said in my original post on the thread that normally I'd be pleased to read about inward investment in Spain which would bring jobs) - but you have not addressed the question, why, if a new hotel is to be built, should it not be in a style which is in keeping with it's surroundings rather than something completely incongruous which will ruin the city's skyline?

I'm not sure what the US equivalent would be, but I very much doubt people in the UK would be happy to see such a thing built in Bath or York, for example.

In Las Vegas, I'm sure nobody would turn a hair. In Savannah or Williamsburg, though?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Of course it would bring jobs and economic stimulus (I said in my original post on the thread that normally I'd be pleased to read about inward investment in Spain which would bring jobs) - but you have not addressed the question, why, if a new hotel is to be built, should it not be in a style which is in keeping with its surroundings rather than something completely incongruous which will ruin the city's skyline?

I'm not sure what the US equivalent would be, but I very much doubt people in the UK would be happy to see such a thing built in Bath or York, for example.

In Las Vegas, I'm sure nobody would turn a hair. In Savannah or Williamsburg, though?

Sadly, I dont think that Spain has the luxury to pick and choose, so to turn any investment opportunities away wouldnt be popular or financially sensible

That said, these plans and schemes do seem to just fizzle out dont they.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sadly, I dont think that Spain has the luxury to pick and choose, so to turn any investment opportunities away wouldnt be popular or financially sensible
If they want to avoid damaging their "brand" (which would make more sense by continuing to attract more and more people over the longer term than welcoming construction activity over a short period followed by maybe a couple of hundred hotel jobs thereafter) then they have to do just that. As Isobella said, Málaga has already had some good developments, Muelle Uno being one of them, which have not impacted negatively on the city's image. The current redevelopment of the Mercado de Las Mercedes, the Thysssen and Picasso Museums, the Automobile Museum and the Russian Museum which have involved the preservation and continued use of the La Tabacalera building, and the huge expansion into the cruise market have been other good examples.

All of those visitors don't come to a historic Spanish city to look at skyscrapers. There are plenty of other places they can go to do that.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The people of Qatar and Dubai have no idea what culture is. They don't have any themselves and think it's something that can be bought. They're a despicable bunch who oversee what I regard as manslaughter on an industrial scale of migrant workers.

They'll build what they want where they want in the west, because every country in the west is skint and will take their money.

This is the result of western economies living beyond their means. Enjoy.

As for these things fizzling out. I think you should have a look at the failed projects of the past. Who were the backers. I don't know and I can't be bothered finding out. But this is Qatar we are talking about. Qatar has more money than it knows what to do with. If they want it, they will have it.

The people in the MIddle East quite like Spain and in particular the south with all the Islamic architecture and art. They could market a place like this very easily. I can see the day trips to Granada being quite popular.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
The CDS is already very popular with people from the Middle East. There are Mosques and the Saudi Royal family has a few Palaces there and many second home owners spend the summers there as it's cooler.

I was listening to a discussion on the radio this morning and someone said the reason Spain voted for Blatter was because Quatar invests in the country and it didn't want the event to fall through.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts