Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats it like in Spain... Do you think we will like it there!!!!!!! We want to open a poodle parlour, is there a demand

ONLY JOKING!:D

Will be starting to take endless photocopies of all the obvious and non obvious things.

Is it worth getting anything translated while we are here in the UK, or is it better to wait until we are in Spain to ensure that the translations are recognised?

:couch2:

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
So whats it like in Spain... Do you think we will like it there!!!!!!! We want to open a poodle parlour, is there a demand

ONLY JOKING!:D

Will be starting to take endless photocopies of all the obvious and non obvious things.

Is it worth getting anything translated while we are here in the UK, or is it better to wait until we are in Spain to ensure that the translations are recognised?

:couch2:
In the 7 years that we've been here, we haven't yet needed anything translated.

The letters from DWP come in both English and Spanish, so that was OK. No one who needed to see our birth certificates or marriage certificates have asked to see them in Spanish.

I understand that some people have been asked for translations so I guess it depends where you live and how good your Spanish is to discuss things with them.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the 7 years that we've been here, we haven't yet needed anything translated.

The letters from DWP come in both English and Spanish, so that was OK. No one who needed to see our birth certificates or marriage certificates have asked to see them in Spanish.

I understand that some people have been asked for translations so I guess it depends where you live and how good your Spanish is to discuss things with them.

Best of luck.
makes sense thanks Snikpoh x

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
When you get here, find yourself an unemployed bilingual Spanish graduate (there are plenty of them!) to do your translations and interpreting for an agreed fee. Especially useful if you have to make phone calls in Spanish.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
When you get here, find yourself an unemployed bilingual Spanish graduate (there are plenty of them!) to do your translations and interpreting for an agreed fee. Especially useful if you have to make phone calls in Spanish.
Just remember though that any such translations will NOT be accepted by officialdom unless they have the necessary 'stamps'. All official translations need to be done by authorized translators - a list can be found on the consulate web page.

They will, of course, be useful for you.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Spanish is coming along fine at the moment. I have even held phone conversations in Spanish. However, I am certainly not confident to deal with officialdom in Spanish.

x

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
Just remember though that any such translations will NOT be accepted by officialdom unless they have the necessary 'stamps'. All official translations need to be done by authorized translators - a list can be found on the consulate web page.
It's not such a big deal - I accidentally became an "authorised translator" while helping some friends with an inheritance document! The notary just entered my details into a database and I had to sign something saying I took responsibility for any translation errors.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It's not such a big deal - I accidentally became an "authorised translator" while helping some friends with an inheritance document! The notary just entered my details into a database and I had to sign something saying I took responsibility for any translation errors.
Traductor jurado??? I thought you had to do an oposicion to get that qualification?

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
I can't think of any time when I've needed just a translation, but when I got married and to get my degree recognised I needed sworn translations, which my BIL just happens to do!

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Here's how to become a sworn translator in Spain
Cómo obtener el título de traductor jurado en España

Do you have the stamp which must accompany documents that have been translated by a sworn translator?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Traductor jurado??? I thought you had to do an oposicion to get that qualification?
An authorised translator is not the same as a "traductor jurado". I have been authorised to translate at two Notaries' offices and in court on two occasions, but I still had to get my birth certificate translated by someone who was registered, even though I had to decipher the writing myself as the translator couldn't read it! Fortunately, I knew what it said otherwise I might not have been able to read it either, the handwriting is dreadful. Now I need to get a copy of my birth certificate as it has been sent to Madrid, translated and apostilled as I am applying for Spanish nationality. The office here couldn't tell me if I would get it back! Does anyone know if I can obtain this from Spain?

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
An authorised translator is not the same as a "traductor jurado". I have been authorised to translate at two Notaries' offices and in court on two occasions, but I still had to get my birth certificate translated by someone who was registered, even though I had to decipher the writing myself as the translator couldn't read it! Fortunately, I knew what it said otherwise I might not have been able to read it either, the handwriting is dreadful. Now I need to get a copy of my birth certificate as it has been sent to Madrid, translated and apostilled as I am applying for Spanish nationality. The office here couldn't tell me if I would get it back! Does anyone know if I can obtain this from Spain?
Thanks for this.
I didn't realise that there were two types of translator.

PS My original birth certificate is in some official building's cellar in Colombia. I never got it back...
PPS if you put traductor autorizado into Google you get back links to traductor jurado...

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
We have to get our ADANA AGM minutes and other important letters and documents translated by an official translator with stamp even though we have Spanish members and volunteers who translate our press releases...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What is the advantage in having Spanish nationality;how does it affect anything to do with UK, pensions, free healthcare etc?

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
What is the advantage in having Spanish nationality;how does it affect anything to do with UK, pensions, free healthcare etc?
For me it means I wouldn't have to think about whether I'm in the country legally or not. I wouldn't have to fulfil any of the ever changing requirements. I wouldn't have to go to extranjería any more.
I'd be able to vote.
I don't have any pension, healthcare benefits etc due to me from the UK and I'm unlikely to ever return to the UK to live.

·
Administrator
36,446 Posts
For me it means I wouldn't have to think about whether I'm in the country legally or not. I wouldn't have to fulfil any of the ever changing requirements. I wouldn't have to go to extranjería any more.
I'd be able to vote.
I don't have any pension, healthcare benefits etc due to me from the UK and I'm unlikely to ever return to the UK to live.
I feel the same - although I am supposed to get a pension from there eventually....

in any case - the UK would still consider you/me/us to be British.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts