Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just across Neil Young`s new album, Americana. The last track is his take on God Save The Queen :eek:

Now, I`m a long time fan of messrs Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, as well the Crazy Horse days, but FMG, what was the Canadian crooner thinking when they laid this track down.

A very sad day for music indeed. I`m off for a quiet weep in a darkened room.

Neil Young fans can find the whole album at the bottom of this page, courtesy of the Grauniad.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
That is truly nauseating. Here is his (not particularly convincing) justification:

Young justified his choice of song in an interview with Q The Music: “Written in the 18th century with possible melodic roots in the 17th century, this anthem has been sung throughout the British Commonwealth and may have been sung in North America before the American Revolution and Declaration of Independence in 1776, which rejected British sovereignty. [Plus] ‘God Save the Queen’ provided a melodic foundation for ‘My Country ‘Tis of Thee’.”

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
That is truly nauseating. Here is his (not particularly convincing) justification:
Good tune, frightful words...Holst, isn't it? And isn't there a hymn to that tune? I've always thought Neil Young's whiny voice and uninspiring lyrics over-rated. But there again, I've a copy of 'After the Goldrush' tucked away somewhere. Like'Sergeant Pepper', 'Tapestries' and 'Rumours', it's one of those sixties/seventies albums everyone you knew had a copy of.
But why find one's national anthem 'nauseating', I wonder?
All nations have anthems and flags, for a reason I know not. Tribal, I guess.
As it seems obligatory to have one, I'd much prefer 'Jerusalem'. Stirring stuff. The Scots have 'Flower of Scotland' and the Welsh 'Land of My Fathers' - both mournful dirges like 'GSTQ' I'm surprised in these days of alleged PC that the French are still allowed to sing the bloodthirsty, xenophobic 'Marseillaise' with phrases about 'impure blood watering the furrows'.
I remember being poked in the rear by an umbrella wielded by an indignant old man when as a young teenager I refused to stand up when 'GSTQ' was played at the end of a cinema performance, which, for you youngsters' information,was the practice at the end of a film -show until the mid-sixties. I guess it didn't seem appropriate to play the anthem to an audience which had just sat through 'Last Tango in Paris', somehow.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
But why find one's national anthem 'nauseating', I wonder?
It's the fact that he chose to record it that I find nauseating. He used to be such an iconic rebel. My first husband modelled himself on him, posing in front of the mirror with his air guitar and his hair all mussed ...

As for God Save the Queen, I think it has a very dreary tune. I wonder if we will get to hear it much at the Olympics?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I like the Italian anthem as it sounds far too fast, like it`s being played by a school band who`ve got stage fright, although it is actually a beautiful piece of music.

Flower of Scotland was written by Roy Williamson, of The Corries fame, and is quite a humbling wee song. I have been lucky enough to have stood at Murrayfield a few times, generally watching us get gubbed (but not always!), it is an amazingly emotive piece of music that easily brings a tear to the eye.

In the same way, the Welsh and Irish anthems are capable of delivering the same feelings of emotion, especially at the Rugby. Makes you quiver like a quivery thing.

For me, and apologies if I offend, GSTQ is simply dull and dirge like, which is a shame. On the other hand, I was lucky enough to be in the Mall during the last celebrations for Brenda, when the Red Arrows and a Lancaster flew overhead and 100,00 peeps where singing Land of Hope and Glory at full chat - One of the most memorable events of my life. Simply awesome and an amazing piece of music. GSTQ doesn`t evoke that in me.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
It's the fact that he chose to record it that I find nauseating. He used to be such an iconic rebel. My first husband modelled himself on him, posing in front of the mirror with his air guitar and his hair all mussed ...

As for God Save the Queen, I think it has a very dreary tune. I wonder if we will get to hear it much at the Olympics?

I wouldn't lose sleep if I never heard it again ever....I misunderstood...yes, it's nauseating that it should be sung by anyone for entertainment.

I'm in two minds about the Olympics. It's more about international relations, national prestige and commerce than sport. People in Stratford are being evicted from private tenancies so their flats can be relet at exorbitant rents. I hope that nothing awful will happen but the preparations against are scary enough. Missile launchers on people's roofs....

But I'm not in two minds about the Jubilee. I am what John Gray calls 'radically indifferent', what others might see as mean-spirited and curmudgeonly. If I am able to move out of the house by Sunday, move I will....deep inland with Azor, away from television or any news that might mention the event.

Before the last Jubilee, or last before one, whatever, in 1972, my wicked Councillor colleagues voted me in my absence as Chair of the 'Silver Jubilee Festival Committee', responsible for organising celebrations in our town. I was not best pleased but did my best to make sure that we had an event which was fun, popular and in no way jingoistic.

I did refuse to read a 'Loyal Address to Her Majesty from the Town Hall steps, clad in robes and silly fore-and-aft hat.
There's some things even I won't do.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Personally, I like the Italian anthem as it sounds far too fast, like it`s being played by a school band who`ve got stage fright, although it is actually a beautiful piece of music.

Flower of Scotland was written by Roy Williamson, of The Corries fame, and is quite a humbling wee song. I have been lucky enough to have stood at Murrayfield a few times, generally watching us get gubbed (but not always!), it is an amazingly emotive piece of music that easily brings a tear to the eye.

In the same way, the Welsh and Irish anthems are capable of delivering the same feelings of emotion, especially at the Rugby. Makes you quiver like a quivery thing.

For me, and apologies if I offend, GSTQ is simply dull and dirge like, which is a shame. On the other hand, I was lucky enough to be in the Mall during the last celebrations for Brenda, when the Red Arrows and a Lancaster flew overhead and 100,00 peeps where singing Land of Hope and Glory at full chat - One of the most memorable events of my life. Simply awesome and an amazing piece of music. GSTQ doesn`t evoke that in me.
if "flower of Scotland" has become the Scottish anthem, then for Scots expats, should this be our anthem..... yes I know the song started as life as a jingle for a lager advert (which,by the way, is known as making love in a cannoe[f2$$ing close to water])

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
Sounds like the Colombian national anthem. When I worked in a school there the British and Colombian national anthems would get side by side. What a contrast!
Its words are full of stirring stuff too

In Furrows of pain,
Goodness now germinates.

Oh unfading joy!
Oh immortal joy!

If anyone's interested...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if "flower of Scotland" has become the Scottish anthem, then for Scots expats, should this be our anthem..... yes I know the song started as life as a jingle for a lager advert (which,by the way, is known as making love in a cannoe[f2$$ing close to water])

Caledonia ( Frankie Miller ) - YouTube
When I was very little, we used to cross that bridge all the time. My mother used to tell me that the lights and flares in the distance at the Grangemouth refinery were FairyLand, where all the Fairies and Elfs lived.

Still makes me smile when I see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts