Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a big concern to share. I am an indian national and am married to a french citizen and I have a 'visa de long sejour- vie privie et familiale' on my passport. I lived in france for a month after getting my visa and came back to india, and will be filing for a divorce now.

I had got an appointment from ofii for the stamp, though i had to cancel it as i am in india, and now as we are separating there is no way we will be completing that procedure.

I wish to attend the salon du chocolat in paris in october and since i have the long stay visa i thought of giving it a try, my only concern is if i travel to paris without the ofii stamp in October would they create a problem at the airport?

Also, I wish to travel to Budapest, prague and amsterdam this december 2015, so will the missing ofii sticker will be a problem? I will be travelling from Mumbai to these european regions, is there a possibility that the border authorities in the above mentioned regions create a problem for me or bar me from entering? Ive heard that the border authorities are not very strict other than in Paris, so is it worth taking that risk?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I suppose that, officially speaking, you should just go ahead and apply for the regular sort of visa you'd use to attend your various salons or other events as if the marriage and the original visa had never happened.

The fact that you never did your OFII appointment means that you have no French residence permit - so I assume you will need a visa to visit Budapest, Prague and Amsterdam.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi!
I have a big concern to share. I am an indian national and am married to a french citizen and I have a 'visa de long sejour- vie privie et familiale' on my passport. I lived in france for a month after getting my visa and came back to india, and will be filing for a divorce now.

I had got an appointment from ofii for the stamp, though i had to cancel it as i am in india, and now as we are separating there is no way we will be completing that procedure.

I wish to attend the salon du chocolat in paris in october and since i have the long stay visa i thought of giving it a try, my only concern is if i travel to paris without the ofii stamp in October would they create a problem at the airport?

Also, I wish to travel to Budapest, prague and amsterdam this december 2015, so will the missing ofii sticker will be a problem? I will be travelling from Mumbai to these european regions, is there a possibility that the border authorities in the above mentioned regions create a problem for me or bar me from entering? Ive heard that the border authorities are not very strict other than in Paris, so is it worth taking that risk?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi,

Without the OFII sticker, your long stay visa is valid only for a single entry. You will definitely have problems, not just in Paris but also everywhere else in the Schengen Area if you try to enter with it again.

As Bev has said, you will need another visa to be able to enter the Schengen area again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I hope getting another long stay visa wont be a problem since i already have this long stay visa issued.

Also, going to france before the expiry of the 3 month period should not be a problem right?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for the edit, but I stand corrected.

According to this http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/getting-a-visa/article/faq-visas

"I hold a long-stay visa constituting a residence permit, but it has not yet been validated by the French Immigration and Integration Office (OFII).May I travel without having to apply for a new visa?
The long-stay visa constituting a residence permit allows travel under the following conditions:
- within 3 months of your arrival in France, you may travel with this visa without further formalities (inside and outside the Schengen Area).
- beyond the period of 3 months, you may only travel if the OFII sticker is affixed to your visa, failing which you must be in possession of the OFII certificate of application to travel outside France.
If you fail to carry out the OFII formalities within the prescribed time limit of 3 months, you must re-apply for a long-stay visa to the relevant French consulate in your country of residence."

So you can travel in and out of France without the OFII sticker for a period of three months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts