Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My husband is american (I am the French one) and he has his OFII appointment. We are kinda worried about the health test because we read that sometimes they did a blood test. Afraid of the needles, we chose to ask here if it's true rather than be worried.

We know about the x-ray and weight and eye test. Should we know something else?

Thank you :)))

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi!

My husband is american (I am the French one) and he has his OFII appointment. We are kinda worried about the health test because we read that sometimes they did a blood test. Afraid of the needles, we chose to ask here if it's true rather than be worried.

By any chance is this in Nancy? I did mine in January of this year. No blood, no urine! Please bring any prescriptions he takes. If you are doing your OFII meeting plus the X-rays and the "medical" all on the same day, it is really a long day. I suggest dressing comfortable and try to grab a quick bite between. It was a mistake my wife and I made. We waited to eat and we were hopping between appointments at three locations and finally finished about 4:00 PM from 9:00 in the morning. Any questions, I'm happy to try to help with answers. Warm regards!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Toulouse. Thanks for your quick answer. He will have interview and medical the same day. We will eat, promise :D

I can't wait for it to be over.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,304 Posts
No, Toulouse. Thanks for your quick answer. He will have interview and medical the same day. We will eat, promise :D

I can't wait for it to be over.
We spoke French pretty much exclusively with the nurse, the doctor, and the functionaire who gave us the Titre de Sejour in our passports. It seemed to make a difference and the functionaire complimented us on our French (which we didn't think was all that great). We said so and she replied that we should hear what some people said!I found it was the same at the US Consulate. To whatever extent you can, speak French.

We had x-rays with us from a French doctor. We arrived at the OFII at 1:30PM and left at about 4 PM. We spoke with several other couples (Danish and UK) while we all waited between meetings with different people. It was relatively pleasant.

Best of luck!

Ray

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
I have never heard of anything involving needles in the OFII medical exam. When I went through the immigration medical exam the only actual medical procedures involved were a urine specimen (used exclusively to test for diabetes) and the chest x-ray. Since then I have heard they eliminated the urine spec.

They will ask about his immunizations, but that's more of an interview question - they don't require proof, and will recommend whatever shots they feel he is missing. That's about it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sure, that sounds like it could be, but I don't know if they told him why, or maybe he just doesn't remember. In any case, I hope your appointment goes/went smoothly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OFII medical exam

So, having done this recently, and having read some other posts, it sounds like it probably differs a bit from department to department. For mine, I showed up on time and they did an x-ray, took my weight, height, blood pressure, and did one of those pin-prick blood tests where they get an immediate result. This was for blood sugar, it turned out, although they didn't have me fast. I had complete blood tests results (CBC - complete blood chemistry) from the US that were pretty recent, and showed those to the doctor. She asked me a few questions (did I smoke? Do I have any persistent problems (I have hypertension that I take plendil for)), etc. It was painless (except for the pinprick), and easy, although I forgot to get pictures, so I popped out to the local market and went to one of those 5 euro photobooths and came back. No problems. The whole thing probably took an hour, although for me it was more like 1.5 hours because I had to go out and get my pictures. Just make sure you bring everything they ask for!

gary

Hi!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I are about to go through this, and I was hoping someone could provide more clarity on the x-ray part of it. My wife has PTSD from a very traumatic experience at a doctors office in the past, and is thus quite scared of this, particularly the chest xray.
1) Is the x-ray done in a private room, or is it open-ish?
2) Are females required to remove their top, or can they remain clothed? (with a wireless bra of course)
3) Is it possible to have a female doctor do the entire procedure? Or at least the x-ray part?
Any way to request this beforehand? Or is it totally luck of the draw? She refuses to see male doctors/nurses so I'm worried about this.

This would be in Paris if it matters.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,304 Posts
...more clarity on the x-ray part of it. My wife has PTSD from a very traumatic experience at a doctors office in the past, and is thus quite scared of this, particularly the chest xray.
2) Are females required to remove their top, or can they remain clothed? (with a wireless bra of course)
3) Is it possible to have a female doctor do the entire procedure? Or at least the x-ray part?
Any way to request this beforehand? Or is it totally luck of the draw? She refuses to see male doctors/nurses so I'm worried about this.

Our OFII visit was in Bordeaux, so I can only comment from that perspective. Our letter from the OFII did NOT make it clear to us or our French neighbor whether the OFII provided the chest x-ray or if we were supposed to do it ourselves. So, we went to a French doctor in a nearby city, had our x-rays done (very inexpensively, by the way). My wife and I were in the same room for the chest x-ray and, as I'm sure your wife can tell you, a chest x-ray is done with one's top unclothed, including brassiere.

We arrived at the OFII with our x-rays in hand. Our OFII accepted our x-rays and we did not have to have an x-ray done at the OFII. We did, however, have the rest of the standard medical exam at the OFII by the doctor and the nurse.

Clearly, if you can do your own x-rays you can choose a female French doctor & nurse to do them for your wife. Perhaps others with more experience can comment on whether what we did was out of the ordinary or common.

What I cannot advise you about because I have only the one experience from which to judge is whether
  • It is common practice for folks to provide their own chest x-rays
  • Whether the OFII commonly accepts x-rays from outside doctors or if they did it just for us
  • Whether you can request female doctors and nurses for your medical exam
Best of luck.

Ray

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
From my experience and what I have heard from others recently:

The x-ray is done in a private room.
Normally you're required to remove your top, including bra. But it's just you and the radiologist.
Um, be VERY careful with this. The law that banned headscarves in schools and public offices also banned insistence on a female doctor. It's directed against the Muslims, sure, but in theory, you take the doctor/radiology tech that you get.
It's mostly luck of the draw - but it's one of those things she is going to have to get used to in France. At the radiology lab I go to locally, the actual x-rays are usually taken by a female tech, but you don't get a choice per se. (And for mammograms, the doctor - a male doctor - does a manual breast exam after the mammogram is done.)

Just a "heads up" but modesty provisions in most French medical facilities are somewhat different from what she may be used to. What country is she from? (You wouldn't have an OFII visit if you're both from the UK.) It could make a difference.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm incredibly surprised about not being allowed to request a female doctor, though I can't find any reference to this online... Considering the statistics on sexual assault and abuse I can't believe something like that could pass without an uproar.

Our current plan is to explain the circumstances and hope for the best, as in our home country doctors have been accommodating. I was just hoping to assuage her fears beforehand, but it's not to be.

We're not actually from the UK, just trying to be semi-anonymous since this is on the public Internet, but we do need an OFII visit.

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
Officially, as far as I can find out, it is still illegal for a woman to request a female doctor, certainly for "religious reasons." Practically speaking, your wife has a good chance of getting her x-ray from a female radio tech (simply because they do tend to outnumber the men in the job). And the various hospital and other facilities may or may not stick to the letter of the law anyhow.

But in a state facility or hospital (depending where your OFII does their medical exams), there is probably not much risk of sexual assault. The places are general crowded and busy. They're far more interested in getting you in, x-rayed and out than in any "fooling around."

Or, try calling the OFII and ask if you could have your own x-rays done and bring them in. At a private radio lab, it's up to them how strictly they want to stick to the law - and they are staffed mainly by women anyhow. (At least in my experience.)

Just be advised that modesty standards here in a doctor's office may be quite a bit different from what she's used to - even with a woman doctor.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,
Had my medical earlier in the year. It was the middle of winter and I was wearing layers.
Like other experiences, I had to remove my bra even though it was wireless and also had to remove my singlet. Was only allowed to wear my t-shirt for the x-ray.

When I had the x-ray I was facing away from the tech towards the machine, so I did not feel too exposed.

The x-ray was very quick, the tech called me out of the dressing room. I stood in front of the machine and it was over within a few minutes.

I hope you find a solution.

All the best.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Thread diversion!

I'm really surprised, as a Brit male, that there all these posts about whether you have to undress or not, and to what level. Are people really ashamed of their bodies? It's not as if you are being asked to walk in the street nude - it's a medical exam done by medically qualified staff who are well used to seeing all sorts completely nude. You are going through the process of having your body medically examined, not your clothing.

As for asking for a same sex doctor / technician, leaving aside French law, to me that is the height of prudery relevant only to the 19 th century.

DejW

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

I had my exam at the OFII in Paris last year. They had me go into a little changing room and take off everything I was wearing on top (bra included), then I went through to the adjacent room where they did the X ray. I think there were one or two technicians there who happened to be female, and the X ray process only took about 30 seconds.

You might ask if they will let you accompany your wife for the X ray, if that would help her feel better.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
Thread diversion!

I'm really surprised, as a Brit male, that there all these posts about whether you have to undress or not, and to what level. Are people really ashamed of their bodies? It's not as if you are being asked to walk in the street nude - it's a medical exam done by medically qualified staff who are well used to seeing all sorts completely nude. You are going through the process of having your body medically examined, not your clothing.

As for asking for a same sex doctor / technician, leaving aside French law, to me that is the height of prudery relevant only to the 19 th century.

DejW
Maybe not as huge a drift as you might think. This is definitely a cultural issue. The legal side of it, when established, was definitely aimed at Muslim women who stick to the modesty traditions of their home country, where I guess they are cared for by women doctors exclusively.

And I hear a number of "concerns" from some ladies from the US, where it is normal practice to have a (female) nurse present during exams or procedures that require a woman to disrobe - completely or partially. There have been a few, well-publicized, cases of doctors "getting hinky" with women patients which is what led to the practice of having a nurse in the room.

When you're new to a country, and especially when you are not familiar with the customs and the language, it can seem like you are constantly being taken advantage of. To have something untoward or unexpected happen without knowing how (or whether) to resist or protest is a really terrifying experience.

Now, that said, I think the risk of someone getting weird with a newly arrived foreigner in the OFII is pretty slight. The offices are crowded and the staff there are government employees who deal with foreigners all the time. Still, they sometimes fail to consider some of the cultural differences they are dealing with.

To you it may seem "prudish" but if you really don't understand what is going on around you, it can be frightening. Now, if as a male foreigner, you were required to have a prostate exam as part of your incoming medical, you might be a tad more sympathetic! :jaw:
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.