Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Peeps!

I entered France exactly 60 days ago.

I know that the ofii procedure must be completed within 3 months.

I haven't submitted my documents to initiate the ofii procedure yet.

I plan to submit them tomorrow.

Is it too late?

I don't plan on travelling outside france anytime soon.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Submit the documents and then sit and wait until they contact you. As I understand it, you need to submit the documents within 3 months of arrival - but that can depend on the type of visa you are on. As the ad says, "just do it." Make a note of when you sent things in and if there is any hassle, at least you can tell them you've sent it in.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
What type of visa? How long are you staying?
My wife and I may have a similar situation...

We arrived in Paris in June on a long stay visitor visa Type D, valid exactly a year. During the visa app process, we were quite vocal that we only intended to stay a year (now debating on a longer stay). We have not registered with OFII yet because the clerk at the NYC consulate tossed out our completed OFII forms (deliberately) during the visa application appointment, stating we didn't need them. As a naturally nervous person, I am investigating this now to ensure we are staying in France legally after the 3 months is up.

Since the consulates across the US give varied, sometimes conflicting information on whether you need to register, i don't really know if the clerk intentionally threw out our OFII forms because of our status as visitors for 1 year only. I reached out to an immigration lawyer here in France and will have a consultation soon ($). Will be certain to share what I find out.

I'm hoping we do not need to register, because we do not have a stamped OFII form from our consulate to submit with all the other required OFII paperwork.

Though I am a newbie on this forum and also don't bring the wealth of expat info Bev has, I would second what she says and go through the motions. Doesn't hurt and could help...will post again after lawyer consultation...

Cheers!

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Normally speaking, on a visitor visa you don't need to submit forms to the OFII and go through their processing. A one-year visitor visa is considered renewable - but you should check on the website of your local prefecture to see what documents and all they will require and whether you need to make an appointment online or just go in to the prefecture a couple of months before your visa expires to renew it.

Certain types of visas require registration with the OFII - particularly spouse or family reunion visas (vie privée et familiale).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Bev, will continue to check into it... grateful for this forum and the community!

For what its worth, my Visa states in the remarks section Ceseda R311-3 5* ... which apparently is a French government legal code indicating I am exempt from having to get a residence permit. I suppose my question will continue to be, does that also mean exempt from needing an OFII stamp?

Conversely, my wife's visa states something different, "Dispense temporaire de carte de sejour"...which I dangerously assume that it means the same thing, just said differently. lol

sigh... loving Paris nevertheless!! settled into a great apt in 11eme

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks Bev, will continue to check into it... grateful for this forum and the community!

For what its worth, my Visa states in the remarks section Ceseda R311-3 5* ... which apparently is a French government legal code indicating I am exempt from having to get a residence permit. I suppose my question will continue to be, does that also mean exempt from needing an OFII stamp?

Conversely, my wife's visa states something different, "Dispense temporaire de carte de sejour"...which I dangerously assume that it means the same thing, just said differently. lol

sigh... loving Paris nevertheless!! settled into a great apt in 11eme
You said earlier that during your visa application you insisted you would stay no longer than a year. Well, that's the visa you have - limited to one year, therefore no need for a carte de sejour and no need to attend OFII.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
On a visitor visa, there is usually no OFII requirement, and you don't actually need a "residence permit" for the first year. Do check the requirements on your local prefecture website for renewing your residence permit (your visa becomes a de facto residence permit) because it will be at that point where things get critical.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
On a visitor visa, there is usually no OFII requirement, and you don't actually need a "residence permit" for the first year. Do check the requirements on your local prefecture website for renewing your residence permit (your visa becomes a de facto residence permit) because it will be at that point where things get critical.
Cheers,
Bev
But they are only here for a year at most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, so quick Everhopeful! Thanks!!

Lovely to hear that.

I might be shifting into new thread territory but, do you see any benefit to going to OFII anyway? ...All this while, I haven't mentioned that my wife has been applying to get her dual citizenship and passport with Romania, which she finally received since being here... this has been a completely separate process, not knowing when it would be complete and we are here, as mentioned above, on visitor visas. Now that she has dual cit and effectively an EU passport, I assume that would be the route we would take to stay longer....just wondering if OFII now would add any benefit??

Cheers, and thanks for that lightning quick response!
Michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea, we planned for a year at most as visitors....but we do need to go back to work eventually lol and the thought of doing that here in the EU is a new one (which will present other challenges)...

So with my wife's dual cit and Romanian passport, not sure how that would play out if we do renew. Probably more questions and swirling thoughts than my fingers can type now and getting off this thread topic...

Thank you both so much!!!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Wow, so quick Everhopeful! Thanks!!

Lovely to hear that.

I might be shifting into new thread territory but, do you see any benefit to going to OFII anyway? ...All this while, I haven't mentioned that my wife has been applying to get her dual citizenship and passport with Romania, which she finally received since being here... this has been a completely separate process, not knowing when it would be complete and we are here, as mentioned above, on visitor visas. Now that she has dual cit and effectively an EU passport, I assume that would be the route we would take to stay longer....just wondering if OFII now would add any benefit??

Cheers, and thanks for that lightning quick response!
Michael
Your wife should now register for a CDS as an EU citizen (there are requirements, eg. she needs a 'statut' which could be 'inactif' if you have sufficient funds - if she is looking for work she will only have 3 months to find work - but I guess she would have longer if she for now sticks with the visa) and you will be able to register for a CDS as the spouse of an EU citizen (once she has a statut) and that will allow you to also work. I don't see any value in registering with OFII at this stage, unless you plan to stay more than a year and don't want the risk of being required to leave if your wife doesn't find work within 12 months).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will weigh all of this. Thanks for your insight...
She is still 'employed' in the states, just on sabbatical, so will have to talk out the job options etc. Some big decisions lie ahead.

Thanks again EHful...
Michael

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
But they are only here for a year at most.
I don't believe that there is a distinction when it comes to the visiteur visa. If it is for a year, it is renewable. However, given the Romanian nationality of the OPs spouse, this changes things a bit.

To stay on as an EU national and spouse, the EU national needs to establish a "statut" - i.e. working, studying or "inactif" (i.e. retired with a pension, or quite literally living on the interest). Being on sabbatical it should be possible to renew the visitor visa as long as you can show that she is continuing to be paid by her US employer during her sabbatical. Or, alternatively, that she does have a "statut" (i.e. employed and being paid from the US) which opens the door to your obtaining a one-year carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national.

If it turns out you need the OFII registration, the prefecture should be able to tell you that and you can contact the local OFII as needed.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts