Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi expat forum! I made it!

My husband and I were both able to make it here to France with what has so far been a minimum of drama. I made it through my first appointment with OFII with almost flying colors... other than 200 hours of French language classes... Oh well, I really do need them and the teacher is quite wonderful! I'm learning a lot so far.

However, I've had a bit of a problem... I take a night class in Lille, where the gate is locked up if we're too late for class. Usually, this is not a problem. However, with all the ice and snow, last week I slipped and turned my ankle quite badly on the way to the school. I ducked off the street to rest it for a bit, but by the time I was feeling ok to walk again, it was long past the time we had to be at class, too late for any doctor I knew of, and still quite icy outside. I wasn't far from home, so I hobbled back and after an evening of rest, I was feeling quite fine in the morning.

Now the teacher wants me to get a form to explain my absence. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do. I still have a faint bruise on my knuckle and knee from where I tried to catch myself, but even if I'd gone to a doctor the next day, I couldn't imagine them being able to find any sign of actual injury to my ankle.

What happens if I can't explain my absence with a form? A fine? Deportation? Death by firing squad? Does anyone know?

G

·
~#{[{^| !! :censored: The French are really STUPID sometimes:wacko:

I can't believe if you miss one lesson in 200 hours that they would be bothered. I would have thought that a simple letter declaring on your honour 'to whom it may concern' (A qui de droit) that the weather conditions made it impossible for you to attend on the day in question, would suffice.

If not, it's not you that should be up for the firing squad, it's the :censored: fonctionnaires!

Any help needed to draft a letter, would be happy to oblige :)

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
Ask the teacher if an "attestation sur honneur" will do. That's just a note you write yourself, swearing (on your honor) what happened. You could even suck up to the teacher a bit, by asking him to help you with it.

If he wants something from a real doctor, just find someone with open office hours you can get to. Explain what happened and that you need a note. It will cost you 22€, but most of it should be reimbursed by the Sécu if you've got national coverage - and the rest (less 1€) will be reimbursed by your mutuelle (if you have one).

One very handy factoid for dealing with the sécu is that the State actually has no right to know why you went to the doctor, nor whether or not the doctor actually found anything wrong with you. You go when you feel the need, pay your money, and you get reimbursed. So if the State wants a note, it's on the State's dime, so why not?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll ask the teacher about the "on my honor" thing, I don't know if I have Sécu yet, although they're certainly taking something out of my paycheck! ^_^

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll ask the teacher about it tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.