Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum is really helpful!! but now it seems I can't find a thread similar to my situation. I want to move to France and work as an au pair but mostly to be with my same sex partner (Yep we are probably going to get Pacs'ed too ^_^ Yay!).

An old family friend offered to hire me but i'm confused because they are elderly. Well maybe not exactly, the husband is in his late 40's and wife in late 50's
they want me to help with the cleaning and shopping and their pets.) with grown up children. To get approved for an Au pair visa do they have to have young children? Neither of us have ever done this before so we are extremely confused. Also I will probably live with my partner instead, who lives just down the street and i'm worried it might get in the way of proving our one year together for the pac's. Also would I still need international insurance even though im an au pair/ pacse? Lastly, I'm told I need to show proof of finance but i'm not exactly sure how much they are looking for. I have a bit to spend every month and enough to buy a return ticket.

Phew, i'm sorry if this is long winded and very very grateful for any advice :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
You should thoroughly read the details on your own consulate's site, but here's what mine (Sydney) says:
- Employees agree to work 5 hours per day: child minding and/or ordinary household work - heavy work is not allowed. You are entitled to one day off per week, including at least one Sunday per month. Not being salaried, you are not entitled to paid vacations.

This wording doesn't seem to indicate that you must have children to mind, but I'm not really sure. One of the really important criteria for this visa however, is being enrolled in French classes:
- Be enrolled in a recognised institution for the study of the French language or French culture and civilisation.

I wonder whether having a partner and planning to live with them and get PACsed will pose a problem for you. Firstly it says that you must be 'single', and if you tell the consulate about your plans they might think that your intentions do not fit the au pair visa.

I doubt you would be eligible to join the French health system, I'm pretty sure you have to be earning a certain amount, and to be making social contributions implies that you'll need to be paid legally (ie: not cash in hand). It also says "not being salaried", I guess because the concept is that what you are paid is only a small amount for the work since your lodging is free. Someone else here will have to confirm...

Also keep in mind that being PACSed does not guarantee you a residency permit. After your year as an au pair you may not be allowed to change 'status', which might force you to return home and get the appropriate visa. I'm not really sure about this but I thought I'd say it anyway just because it won't do you any good to be ignorant about the possibilities.

·
Administrator
49,465 Posts
The requirements for an au pair visa are very specific, and normally you have to submit a standard au pair contract, approved by the French government. This lays out the terms of your employment, part of which includes your living with your employer (which is part of your "salary"), having time off to attend French classes and a few other things. This is from the Chicago consulate website:

An "au pair" is a student, between 17 and 30 years old, who lives in France with a host family usually for one year. The family provides accomodation (individual room), food and a small monetary allowance for personal use. In exchange, the student is espected to provide a contribution to daily family tasks such as: baby-sitting, supervision and children’s awakening, daily cooking, little housework… Students participing in "au pair" programs are required to follow French courses during their stay.
As far as insurance is concerned, it's the host family that needs to provide that for you (since you are living under their roof).
Cheers,
bev

·
Registered
409 Posts
Many many years ago I worked as an au pair in Paris.

The rules do not seem to have changed, "5 hours light work a day, and obligatory language school".

I did however have a couple of friends who worked as "mothers helps" and they were expected to work 7 hours a day. They were paid quite a lot more than we au pairs, and language school was still obligatory.

Perhaps the role of mothers help or even house keeper might be worth looking into, if that would be more appropriate for your situation?

Good Luck

·
Administrator
49,465 Posts
Many many years ago I worked as an au pair in Paris.

The rules do not seem to have changed, "5 hours light work a day, and obligatory language school".

I did however have a couple of friends who worked as "mothers helps" and they were expected to work 7 hours a day. They were paid quite a lot more than we au pairs, and language school was still obligatory.

Perhaps the role of mothers help or even house keeper might be worth looking into, if that would be more appropriate for your situation?

Good Luck
Unfortunately, the role of "mothers help" or "housekeeper" would not make the OP eligible for a work visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
tsubamey, if you want to stay in France with your partner, work a little bit and get PACSed, you might want to consider undertaking some sort of study and getting a student visa. Public universities are not expensive and you can work on the side (though your hours are limited, it still gives you the chance to earn a bit of 'pocket money').

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.