Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
423 Posts
Congrats, if you're doing great work then surely you deserve a pay rise, think of it from their point of view, if they had to replace you could they, and if so how long would it take (lost productivity), and how much would it cost them (recruitment companies etc.), not to mention the new salary holder.

I wouldn't look at complicating the matter by asking them to pay off your student loan - what you do with your money is up to you, the only caveat I would say is if it's more tax efficient for them (and you) to do that.

So what I would ask for is everything you have currently - let them continue paying your accom etc. - they're used to it, and a 10% increase in salary (not including the COLA - whatever that is). Don't even think about the car as it's a company owned one - they'll still have to pay for it even if it sits in the lot all day.

Or start at a 20% increase and accept 10%.

Sounds good to me, incidentally, where are you based?

·
Banned
423 Posts
Erlenbach - about two hours from me, North East.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you, as an American taxpayer, still have to pay some US tax on, I think, earnings above $90,000? I'd check if I were you.

taxes here are around 45% too, so factor that in too.

Good luck.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Also, if you're here for (I think) less than two years you can claim back the "retirement" and "unemployment" parts of the (crippling) tax we pay here.

At least, that's what my HR bird told me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts