Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to school this morning, my son suddenly went white and announced he'd left his homework at home AAAGGHHH!! I told him I wasnt gonna turn round and go back and get it so tough! He'd have to face the consequences! He then said, no worries cos I could send it to him as it was on his "memory stick"! The said "memory stick" is in his jeans pocket....! All I have to do is plug it in, attach the file and send it to his e-mail address (I didnt even know he had an e-mail address!!??). He'd pick it up later at school??

Ok, I think I have the memory stick??? a sliver thing about the size of a pack of chewing gum. I now have to stick it into the PC somewhere..............

Anyway, my point is. What on earth is happening to the world?? homework used to be done in a book??!? Technology has left me behind!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
:D:I think Im quite lucky that I have had to keep up with technology to do my job - and I actually like learning about it too ... Im certainly no expert! but it fills me with joy that my OH comes to me for help with the PC and the rest of the technical gadgetry we have in the house!

We even have films on our USB (memory stick) that we just plug into the DVD player and watch on TV ... well we did until the dog ate it last week! ;)

Sue xx

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
On the way to school this morning, my son suddenly went white and announced he'd left his homework at home AAAGGHHH!! I told him I wasnt gonna turn round and go back and get it so tough! He'd have to face the consequences! He then said, no worries cos I could send it to him as it was on his "memory stick"! The said "memory stick" is in his jeans pocket....! All I have to do is plug it in, attach the file and send it to his e-mail address (I didnt even know he had an e-mail address!!??). He'd pick it up later at school??

Ok, I think I have the memory stick??? a sliver thing about the size of a pack of chewing gum. I now have to stick it into the PC somewhere..............

Anyway, my point is. What on earth is happening to the world?? homework used to be done in a book??!? Technology has left me behind!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Jo xxxx

:bounce: :lol: :laugh:

Welcome to the twenty first century Jo!!

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
:D:I think Im quite lucky that I have had to keep up with technology to do my job - and I actually like learning about it too ... Im certainly no expert! but it fills me with joy that my OH comes to me for help with the PC and the rest of the technical gadgetry we have in the house!

We even have films on our USB (memory stick) that we just plug into the DVD player and watch on TV ... well we did until the dog ate it last week! ;)

Sue xx
You just reminded me Sue, a student of mine said he'd got a film that I wanted to see and he's given me his memory stick/ USB/ lapiz/ pendrive to download it!! (they're all the same, aren't they?? That's not playing fair - so many names for one "thing"). What happened to DVDs :confused2: or good old video?
Dead as a doornail I suppose.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.......... no wonder I couldnt plug it in anywhere, these memory sticks have lids on them dont they !!!LOL This is gonna take a long time and I'm gonna need to have a lay down afterwards LOL

jo xxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You just reminded me Sue, a student of mine said he'd got a film that I wanted to see and he's given me his memory stick/ USB/ lapiz/ pendrive to download it!! (they're all the same, aren't they?? That's not playing fair - so many names for one "thing"). What happened to DVDs :confused2: or good old video?
Dead as a doornail I suppose.
heehee as I said Im no expert! but if he gives it to you it should just be a small stick maybe 2 inches long and one end has a USB connection on it ... actually its easier to show you one ... the link below is just to the first google page I found for USBs ... it has lots of pictures of what they look like.

The USB connection on the end just plus straight into a pc or laptop, and if you have a relatively modern dvd or tv it may even have a USB port in there that you can plug the usb into ... our dvd player has. We have music and films on the stick so we can plug it in and play it wherever we go. Weve also got an external hard drive where we store all our films, music and pictures so they dont take up loads of memory on the laptop.
Promotional USB Flash Drives and Custom Memory Sticks

Sue x :ranger:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heehee as I said Im no expert! but if he gives it to you it should just be a small stick maybe 2 inches long and one end has a USB connection on it ... actually its easier to show you one ... the link below is just to the first google page I found for USBs ... it has lots of pictures of what they look like.

The USB connection on the end just plus straight into a pc or laptop, and if you have a relatively modern dvd or tv it may even have a USB port in there that you can plug the usb into ... our dvd player has. We have music and films on the stick so we can plug it in and play it wherever we go. Weve also got an external hard drive where we store all our films, music and pictures so they dont take up loads of memory on the laptop.
Promotional USB Flash Drives and Custom Memory Sticks

Sue x :ranger:

thanks Sue, you could have written all that in Spanish and I'd have been none the wiser! The pictures look like the one of the things I've taken out of his pocket (boys trouser pockets are not pleasant places !!!). I've taken the lid off and I've been under the desk looking for a hole to stick it in!! (Xtreme....... NO!!!)

:dizzy::faint::faint::faint: I'll get there :eek:

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read this and remembered kids using the excuse "The dog ate my homework" and wondered if kids will now be saying "The dog ate my memory stick and then I saw the post below! :D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read this and remembered kids using the excuse "The dog ate my homework" and wondered if kids will now be saying "The dog ate my memory stick and then I saw the post below! :D
LOL

"My mum snapped my memory stick when she tried to push it into the computer"???????? will be the new excuse! where will it all end!?

I havent, but it might be about to jump on it and crush it anytime now!!!! The wire on the end of it is a red herring right?? I dont plug that into anything????????? I think I'd better phone my OH!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
LOL

"My mum snapped my memory stick when she tried to push it into the computer"???????? will be the new excuse! where will it all end!?

I havent, but it might be about to jump on it and crush it anytime now!!!! The wire on the end of it is a red herring right?? I dont plug that into anything????????? I think I'd better phone my OH!

Jo xxxx
You really have got NOOOOOO :confused2: idea have you??

You couldn't be making this up:D:D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only gone and done it!!! Once I found the hole ... sorry I mean the USB port! it was a peice of cake!!! huh! Who says technology is for the young!!! The e-mail is on its way to my baby boy, who will pick it up at school!!!!!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've only gone and done it!!! Once I found the hole ... sorry I mean the USB port! it was a peice of cake!!! huh! Who says technology is for the young!!! The e-mail is on its way to my baby boy, who will pick it up at school!!!!!!!

Jo xxxx
see its easy peasy lemon squee(s)y once you give it a go! (sorry cant use my .....argggh the last letter of the alphabet key!!! its just flown off and I cant get it to stay back in its space!!!) ..... see how technical I really am!!!!!!

Sue xxx:love:

·
Registered
336 Posts

Jo xxxx
Hey!

I guess technology is taking away the "beauty" of some things such as books, notebooks, pencils, etc ...

Nowadays I seldom write on a notebook.

Well, I guess we need to adapt ourselves to what used to be the future and is now present :)

Cheers :D :D :D

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

Jo xxxx
Way to go Jo!!!

:clap2: :cheer2: :clap2: :cheer2:

Another thing to put on your CV - Au fait with cutting edge PC technology...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps I should record a video - "How to use a memory stick!"? :) - You could keep it on your memory stick for when you got stuck!

Yes, well thats like when you forget your password for your e-mail account and cant get into it, so they send you a new one ....... to your e-mail account!!!

Jo xxx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Perhaps I should record a video - "How to use a memory stick!"? :) - You could keep it on your memory stick for when you got stuck!
Thatwould be very handy thank you. I have 3 memory sticks and have absolutely no idea how to download stuff onto them.
Now I actually do have some stuff I need to download but without instructions on how to do it I am stuffed:eek:

Veronica

·
Registered
26 Posts
Memory stick upload/download

Thatwould be very handy thank you. I have 3 memory sticks and have absolutely no idea how to download stuff onto them.
Now I actually do have some stuff I need to download but without instructions on how to do it I am stuffed:eek:

Veronica
Serious reply: Veronica, 2 options:

1. I could write some quick instructions if you like or
2. if you have Skype, I will willingly show you how to load content onto your memory stick, via Webex and Skype (we speak on Skype and I share my screen with you on Webex - you don't need to be on Webex as I would host the meeting and invite you) - I can share my screen with you and teach you to do it if you wish.

Let me know...:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.