Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bonjour everyone! I searched the forum a bit and didn't find anything on point, so I figured I'd ask you all for your expertise.

I'm currently living in Paris on a salarié titre de séjour. I arrived here in early 2012 and after I went through the whole processing rigamarole with OFII I was given the precious VLS-TS vignette in my passport.

So back in February when my appointment came up to renew my titre de séjour, I went down to the préfecture with my sheaf of documents - which included a copy of my birth certificate and a sworn translation thereof - and eventually got my first real carte de séjour, one of those lovely pink ones with the chip on the back.

The Préfecture de Police's website gives a list of documents that you need to have in order to renew a titre de séjour salarié. In particular, they state that "si vous ếtes titulaire d'un VLS-TS" you need a copy of your birth certificate, with the proper stamps and such on it.

Now, reading the page, it would seem that this would only apply to those who have a VLS-TS and are renewing their carte de séjour for the first time. My question to you is, will I need a birth certificate to renew my CdS for the second and subsequent times? For those of you who have gone through this before, have they asked you for this or anything else that wasn't specified on the list of documents to bring?

Frankly, if I had never dealt with the Préfecture before I wouldn't even bother thinking about this and would just go without it, but I absolutely don't want to be caught with my pants down should they ask me for a copy of my birth certificate. One would think they'd only need one copy of it in my file, but I have long ceased looking for logic in the workings of the French immigration administration. My appointment at the préfecture is in about a month and a half, so I would need to start monday ordering a BC, getting it apostilled, and then having it sent over here so I can have it translated, which takes a while.

Anyway, thanks much in advance for your help, and happy Thanksgiving to any Americans on the boards!

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Once you have "graduated" to the "real" carte de séjour, you shouldn't have to show yet another copy of your birth certificate. Chances are, the clerk who handles your renewal application will stick quite literally to the list as it is printed. (No guarantees - but they normally aren't interested in making work for themselves.)

They can always ask you for "just one more" piece of paper, but as long as you have all the documents to show them that nothing has changed in your status (i.e. still employed, still the same marital status, etc.) things should go smoothly.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
550 Posts
Back in March, did a renewal of my husband's salarie CdS and my vie privee one. Went in with the requested paperwork and left with a list of additional paperwork. Way more than they had wanted for the past two years I had renewed my CdS. I believe, in the end, we would up having to submit everything we'd submitted to the consulate for the original visa application including birth ceritificates, marriage license, and proof of health insurance.

Net: It's okay to go in with just the requested documents, but don't be surprised if they want more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, then. I guess I'll just show up with the papers they tell me to have and then see how it plays out. I'll probably have a cert made up and translated just in case, but I'm single and my situation hasn't changed in the slightest, so maybe they'll just let it slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.