Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thanks all for the info about where to see and such for a 3 week tour...
I would love more info on what to take, what not to take. Although I already have most of a list ready to go...plus I have year to plan it!

My new question is this:

What about oddball places to stay?
Like tree houses, (found a few palapas in different areas), but something DIFFERENT, unique, odd, whatever!!!

Still would love bus info for different parts of Mexico, may save that q for later if no responses.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I posted about Tepoztlan, Morelos (about an hour south of Mexico City) on the other thread. Tepoztlan, which has been referred to as the "Sedona of Mexico" has a definite New Age vibe side by side with the traditional local indigenous population - an interesting mix. You can have a temazcal (a traditional steam bath) and get your chakras aligned or even have a photo taken of your aura !¿¡?! I have seen a poster of the Virgin of Guadalupe with all her various chakras labelled. Interesting syncretism.

There are many different places to stay, some of them certainly count as "oddball" in my books. Some of the hotels/spas can be pricey, but there are also lower priced options. There is the "Tubohotel" which is quite affordable - I'm not advertising it, no conflict of interest here - but I think it might fit your search for something unique. You'll find it easily enough on the internet. It actually is right by the caseta de cobro (see my post on the other thread) so you could leave your things there and have a beautiful walk down into the town centre - pretty all the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not looking for pricey as doing 3 weeks...not wealthy!
Just looking for jungle, palapas, tree houses, yurts, teepees, whatever crazy stuff is out there that is totally different and not to be missed.
Monasteries, castles, what have you???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, you guys kick ass! These places all look so incredible! I want to see them all! Forget the beach towns! Thanks so much!!!!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you want something really economical in Tepoztlan then PM me closer to the time of your trip, and I can put you in touch with a local person who rents out rooms to travellers, just a block and a half from town centre. It's not fancy or oddball, but it's definitely affordable and safe.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Here is an oddball and cheap idea: Search the Mexican bus routes for trips that are overnight and last as long as you might like to sleep. There will be bathrooms and maybe sandwiches. Then, get off wherever you stop and explore without any previous research; they way it used to be before the internet spoiled all the surprises. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ecoaldea in Tepoztlan

I just thought of another place that's a bit unusual in Tepoztlan. A bit outside of the town, but accessible by combi, is the Ecoaldea Huehuecoyotl (ecovillage).

Huehue Web Page

I note a discrepancy in prices between the Spanish and English pages. The Spanish page has slightly higher prices so I'll quote those. Dormitory $250 pesos per night (about US$20), bring your own sleeping bag/pillow/towel. Room in private home ranges $300-500 pesos, sheets/towels provided. Also tent camping is only $75 pesos a night but you'd have to have your own tent - probably not what you're looking for.

Another quirky thing about Tepoz is that it is well known for its UFO sightings. Strange lights are often seen in the surrounding hills- I have seen them, really don't know what they are. One person I know well has a detailed story of an orange glowing light that was moving around very close to her (as in a few feet away). :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.