Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the recent Equifax data breach, how does one go about either obtaining a U.S. credit report or requesting a freeze when living outside the U.S.?

I've been out of the country 2 years, so don't have a recent U.S. physical address. I've not used credit of any kind, just debit.

Annualcreditreport.com won't complete the online request, "mail supporting docs" to them.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
I gave up trying to get a US credit report years ago. If you were to return to the US now, you'd find that you "don't have" a credit history, so I suppose that means that while you are living outside the US you're a "non-person" to them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if someone wanted to fraudulently use my info for financial purposes, the "credit approval" would more than likely be denied? ...because of no current activity or address?

Not much protection for expats?

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
So if someone wanted to fraudulently use my info for financial purposes, the "credit approval" would more than likely be denied? ...because of no current activity or address?

Not much protection for expats?
Have always wondered about that. The only "protection" I'm aware of is that if someone uses your US SSN to file taxes with and then you file (as you're supposed to do), it will definitely pop up on the IRS radar and have to be resolved.

But as far as the credit reporting agencies are concerned, I think as expats we're hanging out there to dry.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have an American bank account they should be able to get a credit rating for you. Ask your bank for a credit card instead of a debit card and pay it off each month. That will establish some credit rating. If you have a family member in the US they may permit you to use their address. Most people in France use debit cards because credit cards charge too much but if you pay them off each month there is no interest.
Cheers

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
It can be very difficult to obtain a US bank account or a new US credit card from overseas. All the banks are bound by the "Know Your Customer" regulations these days. Hanging onto your prior accounts from the US is usually the easier way to proceed.

In France, there really aren't any "credit cards" per se - unless you count a bank card with "débit déferré" as a credit card (i.e. they don't take the money out of your account until the end of the month). Even American Express or Diners Club require you to designate a bank account for the card and they take the charges directly out of the account each month rather than allowing you to defer part or all of the amount into the next or subsequent months.

But if anyone has found a way to obtain their US credit rating/history from overseas (i.e. residing overseas), I'd love to hear how you did it.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts