Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Expat Forum

With my wife and two kinds, we are EU citizens residing in France since 2012 (in 92). I am a sole earner working for an MNC.
My mother in law, has a chronic illness and based on how her symptoms are progressing, she might need specific care in 3-6 months from now. My wife and I, we've decided to let her move in with us.
She is EU citizen, in her 50s and for the last 20 year she resided outside EU. She has no pension, no income and because she resided abroad, she is not able to produce S1 form in the country of origin.

Does anybody have experience with bringing over relatives/ascendant in France?

What are the formalities we need to go through to obtain social security coverage for her and how long will the paperwork take?

Thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
It sounds as though your mother in law should be able to come to France as an EU citizen, though you may have to provide some assurances that she will be your dependent. (Which shouldn't be too difficult if she is going to be moving in with you.)

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12017 is the page for a European citizen wishing to move to France as an "inactif." From the requirements there, it looks like you may have to get her some form of private insurance - at least for the first six months to a year. Without any income, it may take a bit longer for CPAM to process her signing up for the French health care system, but as a member of your household, it should eventually work out even though she has no income of her own.

You might want to pay a visit to the assistant social at your local mairie just to ask about the process - what it will take to "prove" that she is part of your household and whether she would still have to reside in France for 3 months before she'd be eligible to enroll in the French system. (It's possible there is a way around this, but you'll never know until you ask.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts