Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Please could someone help confirm the process for attaining points in the following categories (Software Engineer - 261313):

• Qualifications (15 Points): At least a bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard
• Skilled Employment (15 Points): In skilled employment for at least eight and up to 10 years (of the past 10 years)

For Qualifications I understand that these are dependent on the ACS evaluation. In my case I assume:
• Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major which is closely related
• 2 Years in last 10 Years*OR*4 Years in total work experience (anytime)
Does this mean I get 15 points?
How are the points allocated, with regards to the 2 or 4 years work experience deduction?

For Skilled employment: is this based on the ACS evaluation? How is the experience verified by DIBP or is this the purpose of the ACS evaluation.
i.e. Does the ACS evaluation influence both Qualifications and Skilled employment points.

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Please post your complete details like Work experience and Qualifications in the following format to get details:

Timeline:

Completed B.TEch/BE/ Mtech/ ME/PhD or So and so from Month,Date to Month, Date

Worked here:

Company A from Month, Date to Month, Date
Company B from Month, Date to Month, Date

Please post above details

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello

Please could someone help confirm the process for attaining points in the following categories (Software Engineer - 261313):

• Qualifications (15 Points): At least a bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard
• Skilled Employment (15 Points): In skilled employment for at least eight and up to 10 years (of the past 10 years)

For Qualifications I understand that these are dependent on the ACS evaluation. In my case I assume:
• Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major which is closely related
• 2 Years in last 10 Years*OR*4 Years in total work experience (anytime)
Does this mean I get 15 points?
How are the points allocated, with regards to the 2 or 4 years work experience deduction?

For Skilled employment: is this based on the ACS evaluation? How is the experience verified by DIBP or is this the purpose of the ACS evaluation.
i.e. Does the ACS evaluation influence both Qualifications and Skilled employment points.

Thanks
Don't confuse the ACS's checklist with SkillSelect. The ACS assessment has no influence on how many points you may claim for your qualification in SkillSelect - its only purpose is to assess if you are eligible to claim points for skilled employment.

However, in order to do so, the ACS also wants to know about your qualification and uses it to calculate from what point in your working history they consider your employment skilled under the occupation you have nominated. They subtract 2-8 years, depending on whether you have some qualification (such as an ICT major or minor) or not (in which case you'd need to provide a RPL).

Your entire skilled employment history as assessed by the ACS minus the number of years they subtract leaves you with skilled employment you may actually claim points for.

For you that means: If you wish to claim 15 points for overseas work experience, you need to have at least 8 years of skilled employment as assessed by the ACS plus at least 2 (or 4) years skilled employment the ACS subtracts. So the total of years in skilled employment has to be > 10 (if the ACS subtracts only 2 years) or higher, depending on your qualification profile.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks, ACS require specifically formatted references to validate the work experience. Does the same apply to the SkillSelect application?
Hi Bazwilli,

ACS is to provide you educational credentials evaluation and the professional experience valid for you to enable to calculate points.

There are two side to the ACS assessment ( this is my understanding other senior members or member who cleared acs can comment on the same)

ICT UNits (Core and Closely related)
ICT Responsibilities

As i understand they would look at the degree or masters and then compare the transcripts subjects mentioned to the list of ICT core units and closley related units which helps them decided whether the degree is ICT major or minor and also whether it is related or closely related or not related with the roles and responsibilities letter you provided for the professional experience.

Basically they are trying to find out whether you are working in the field you completed your bachelors/masters or not ... if they determine the responsibilities and the ICT units are not related they would ask you for RPL where you need to submit a report for the experience you want to claim.

Depending on the above outcome they might deduct 4 years experience or deduct 6 yrs if the educational qualification is not related to responsibilities mentioned.

The specific format is to have all the required information in one place making it easy for them to access and reach a conclusion quicker it is a part of process improvement activity i guess... and at the same it is to see how many applicants are able to get this from the employer which again is a check cause companies would give the duties performed and not what the employee so they can be rest assured.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.