Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can somebody please shed some light regarding the process of obtaining the driving license in QLD ? I had landed in Brisbane to validate my visa in Nov 2014 and will relocate permanently in July 2015. How's the experience of driving test ? Do you get dates for tests swiftly ?

I have Omani driving license for the last 8 years and I think I won't be able to drive for the initial 3 months now that I had landed in November and technically the three months period is already over. Does that mean I have to start from learner's driving license stage ?

Thanks.

hazra

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think you have to take a L license but you will have to take a written test and a practical driving test. I don't know how hard it is. Even though you have visited Brisbane before but it was only a short visit. One of the most important criteria is that you must prove you live in QLD in order to obtain a driver license. Having said that things you need to do would be visiting a TMR center and brings all documents that required.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer/index.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you have to take a L license but you will have to take a written test and a practical driving test. I don't know how hard it is. Even though you have visited Brisbane before but it was only a short visit. One of the most important criteria is that you must prove you live in QLD in order to obtain a driver license. Having said that things you need to do would be visiting a TMR center and brings all documents that required.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer/index.html
Thanks queensland ! Yes, I know that I will have to have a residence in Bris to apply for DL. I will be relocating permanently to Bris in the month of July and will apply for DL as soon as I get the id documents ready for application.

My assessment during my initial short visit to Brisbane was that it would be very tough living there without own transport, especially with family.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It actually is quite confusing to me, the link that you shared says that I can take the practical driving test after the written test, however, if I need to practice before the test, than I need to obtain a L license first.

Ideally you would like to practice at least a couple of hours before taking your test.

Any ideas anybody ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ideally I would take 2-3 hours with a professional instructor from one of many driving schools in Brisbane. By doing so I would have some ideas how to drive properly with Australian roads and rules, especially driving on the left side. It costs AUD 50-70/hour anyway but is worth it.
I think you may not be able to do both written test and driving test in the same day (I may be wrong). From my research you have to book for a practical test and sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks to get an available day for the test but a written test can be easily taken any time.
So you will get a L license after passing the written test and book for the practical test I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally I would take 2-3 hours with a professional instructor from one of many driving schools in Brisbane. By doing so I would have some ideas how to drive properly with Australian roads and rules, especially driving on the left side. It costs AUD 50-70/hour anyway but is worth it.
I think you may not be able to do both written test and driving test in the same day (I may be wrong). From my research you have to book for a practical test and sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks to get an available day for the test but a written test can be easily taken any time.
So you will get a L license after passing the written test and book for the practical test I guess.
I see McJim, that clarifies my query.

You are right, both tests could not be taken together. Its mentioned on the website.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Guys,

In most cases you can use your home country driving licence upto 3-6 months depending on the state. I used my Sri Lankan driving licence for almost four years while I was in a student visa. In QLD you need to get the state licence within three months of getting your PR.

So you can skip getting the learners permit and practice with your home country licence during the first three months. However note that if you sit for the practical test and fail, you can no longer use your home country driving licene even if the first three monts as a PR has not yet passed.

I ended up getting my licence in Victoria since I moved states. In my experience the practical test was lot harder than what I faced in Sri Lanka.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts