Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obtaining*antidepressant*Lofepramine in Spain.

My partner has bought a business in Fuengirola in southern Spain and would like me to go live there too. However on a visit, I went into a Farmacia Pharmacy with my medication packet but after looking on her computer, she said that Lofepramine was not available in Spain. On the www I found it is also apparently called Gamanil; Feprapax; or Lomont.

My UK Doctor will only prescribe a months worth, so how can I get more. Cannot buy them in UK cos a controlled Type of medicine called Tetracyclic antidepressants. Supposedly not physically addictive, tho of course may be mentally dependent on them now.

Anyone help please cos I had problems in UK finding an antidepressant I was stable on and would rather not try to change as been on them for ten years.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
For my drugs I went to the local health centre and the Doctor prescribed them for me. However I am a pensioner and now in the Spanish health care system.

You may have to be employed and pay into the system to avail yourself of these facilities.

Some of the drugs (for blood pressure) I was taking in England, the Doctor discontinued them and put me on what she thought would be better and she was right. The Spanish health care system is nothing but impressive,

Hope this might help,

Hepa

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with Hepa-you will need a prescription for this almost certainly- so you will either need a GP at the health centre-or pay for private medical insurance to cover you.
I

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
On your next trip here go into a private clinic for a consultation with an English speaking doctor & discuss your concerns. You can walk in off the street for this service just using your passport for ID.
They can then look up just what your normal medication is called here & may well suggest an alternative (as has been suggested) They can/will of course issue you with a prescription should you need one.
Cost in our area a few years back was about 50eu for a visit, but do not have a clue what it would be on the CDS.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
On your next trip here go into a private clinic for a consultation with an English speaking doctor & discuss your concerns. You can walk in off the street for this service just using your passport for ID.
They can then look up just what your normal medication is called here & may well suggest an alternative (as has been suggested) They can/will of course issue you with a prescription should you need one.
Cost in our area a few years back was about 50eu for a visit, but do not have a clue what it would be on the CDS.
Very sound advice. There are several private clinics - known as Centros Medicos - in Fuengirola; here is one where English is spoken.

Xanit International Hospital : Xanit Clinic in Fuengirola

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
About the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very nice responses, however everyone is missing the point. This medication according several pharmacies isn't available in Spain. So either I have to fly back to UK every month to get another months supply (not very practical), or find a way to get it elsewhere, OR NOT MOVE to Spain....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It is quite odd that a common medicine would not be available here. It may be from another producent and with another name. This is something you should check. It would surprise me if it were not available at all. If it's really like that, usually there is a medicine with almost identical components which can be prescribed.

I am on antidepressants too and I have been given one that had anothe production laboratory and other name but 90% identical components to the one I had before. For me it worked out very well.

Have you checked which other medication has the functioning elements that your usual meds have? Probably if not existing here, there will be an alternative that hardly differs from what you have in the UK.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
All very nice responses, however everyone is missing the point. This medication according several pharmacies isn't available in Spain. So either I have to fly back to UK every month to get another months supply (not very practical), or find a way to get it elsewhere, OR NOT MOVE to Spain....
Hi - I've found list of pharmaceuticals licensed in Spain and lofepramine is on the list, under the name DEFTAN. Full details here:

DEFTAN 70MG 30 TABLETAS LAQUEADAS. . MERCK FARMA Y QUIMICA S.A. - Nomenclator.org

So you should be able to get a prescription here without having to fly back and forth!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
And in urgent need, you can always get your UK based doctor to prescribe them and have your family sending them to you. I've used that trick a few times when being very new in a country and not having found a GP trustworthy yet.

Note that here in Catalunya only psychiatrists prescribe antidepressants. Not GP's. I would assume this is the rule in other parts of Spain as well, although maybe not in all regions. In places with a large expat population you sometimes have psychiatrists that are multilingual, which is a big advantage. Here in Barcelona the mental health public services have one day a week in which the afternoon is reserved for expats with psychological issues. For me it worked out very well, and the antidepressants I take are incredibly cheap compared to what I paid in Belgium, Germany and the UK. Very likely other types of antidepressants will also come with a low price tag.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
No we have not missed the point, you have not read what has been written (a common mistake on forums)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

The name may not be available, but there will be either the same medication under a different name or a replica made by a different company with a different name. I'm sure tricyclic antiDs are available in Spain!!! Your GP in Spain will want to see you and make his own decision on what medication you should be taking - he may even find a better one for you?????

If you live in spain you will no longer have access to your NHS doctor, so you mustnt fly back and renew your script. If your UK GP finds out thats what you're doing, he'll stop you!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
33 Posts
codeferalgon might be what you need,easy available from chemist(spelling might be wrong),my wifes boss uses this and i have to pick her some up tomorrow google it i guess,im no chemist,if you need this sort of stuff tho,you should see someone to get you off it,very addictive,i suggest graham off of jeremy kyle
my wifes boss takes up to 12 of these a day,she is trying to cut down tho,mind i have had about 10 beers tnite so perhaps i need help too

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have to take some medication (not ADs), Iit is called Adartral in the UK. I asked my Spanish Dr if he could prescribe it in Spain, he sent me to the farmacia to ask the pharmacist what it was called in Spain. After a bit of ringing around the pharmacist came up with Requip. The Dr happily prescribed it as it is the same drug ropinirole but just called something different in both countries.

My husband has no trouble getting his ADs in Spain, they are called something different too.

I'm sure you will be able to get the medication.

Funnily enough, the one thing we can't get is my husband's Colpermin (slow-release antispasmodic peppermint oil tablets). Luckily these are available over the counter in the UK, so we just stock up.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
As youngagedpensioner and thers have said, you shoudl get what you need, or an identicle spanish equivalent. My ex parter has a very rare drug which is to control an equally rare condition affecting his bodies cartlidge. His GP in Spain prescribed it but the pharmasist could not get it, we went to every pharmacist in the area until one told us they have finally withdrawn it in Spain because its main use (lepracy of all things ( not what my ex has thankfully)) is so rare.

Anyway, we had a word with the head pharmacist at the local hospital and she has aranged to have the drug shipped in from Germany. So, after a big or backwards and forwards with papers between the GP and hospital, every month there is a packet of drugs at the hospital ready and waiting. Hurahh for Germany & Hurahh for Villajoyoisa Hospital :):)

As I think Jo said in an earlier post, even if not readily available I am sure your spanish GP will issue something just as good if not better! Try to bring 3-6 months worth with you (tell your GP you spending 6 months in spain) and then you have plenty of time to sort it!

·
Registered
15,936 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alcalaina said:
Hi - I've found list of pharmaceuticals licensed in Spain and lofepramine is on the list, under the name DEFTAN. Full details here:

DEFTAN 70MG 30 TABLETAS LAQUEADAS. . MERCK FARMA Y QUIMICA S.A. - Nomenclator.org[/URL]

So you should be able to get a prescription here without having to fly back and forth!
Hi
Back again in September 2011, thanks Alcalaina, sounds worth looking at.
Still hoping to spend a few years around SW of Malaga, so information very useful.
Thanks again
Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CroptopMartin said:
Hi
Back again in September 2011, thanks Alcalaina, sounds worth looking at.
Still hoping to spend a few years around SW of Malaga, so information very useful.
Thanks again
Martin
Having checked now I'm back in Spain, Deftan isn't available any longer either. Have to get it sent from UK I think until I can wean myself off of it. It has too much of a tranquilliser effect on me. Been on it many years and really want to get off the bloody things, but it's hard work.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts