Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Please could someone advise on how they went about attaining work references specifically in the ACS format.
I am finding it difficult to convince companies (corporate) I worked at many years ago to take the time and provide a reference in the precise format required by ACS.

What other alternatives are there. How acceptable is the Statutory Declaration. Who can do this? Does it need to be in a specific format?

Thank you

·
Registered
114 Posts
Consider the structure of the ACS template not a requirement but rather a recommendation. And also check out the DIBP's requirements for reference letters, as later in the process, you will also need to upload reference letters and other proof of your work history (such as pay slips, bank account statements, contracts and/or tax statements) to you ImmiAccount.

It basically sums up to that both the ACS and the DIBP want to know:
- when your contract started and when it ended
- what job you had
- what your detailed duties were and what tasks you have been assigned
- if you worked full- or part-time
- who the person that has signed the reference letter is and what position he/she holds
- and how they can reach out to that person (via phone).

It doesn't matter how the information above is structured - it just needs to be present somewhere on your reference letters. And it needs to be printed on company letterhead.

I strongly advise against the use of Statutory Declarations - they should only be used as the absolute "last resort". Because even if the ACS accepts them, chances are that the DIBP won't. And if you don't have any hard facts to prove that you're eligible to claim points for skilled employment then this will jeopardise your entire application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The challenge here is getting these companies to provide all the correct information considering I last worked there many years ago, people have changed. Will keep pushing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well in that case you could also pre-write a reference letter according to your job description and duties and ask HR and/or the management of your former employer to cross-check and sign it (on company letterhead). Might be worth a try, since it'd save them time and you'd be sure that the format matches the DIBP's requirements.

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
Consider the structure of the ACS template not a requirement but rather a recommendation. And also check out the DIBP's requirements for reference letters, as later in the process, you will also need to upload reference letters and other proof of your work history (such as pay slips, bank account statements, contracts and/or tax statements) to you ImmiAccount.

It basically sums up to that both the ACS and the DIBP want to know:
- when your contract started and when it ended
- what job you had
- what your detailed duties were and what tasks you have been assigned
- if you worked full- or part-time
- who the person that has signed the reference letter is and what position he/she holds
- and how they can reach out to that person (via phone).

It doesn't matter how the information above is structured - it just needs to be present somewhere on your reference letters. And it needs to be printed on company letterhead.

I strongly advise against the use of Statutory Declarations - they should only be used as the absolute "last resort". Because even if the ACS accepts them, chances are that the DIBP won't. And if you don't have any hard facts to prove that you're eligible to claim points for skilled employment then this will jeopardise your entire application.
If statutory declarations started getting rejected by DIBP, as a matter of principle, then half the members here can forget their grant.

As per my understanding, DIBP takes a dim view of those SDs which do not have multiple evidences to back it up like payslips, Service certificate, bank statements, tax statements.
If you can provide all 4 evidences for the period you have given the SD, then I don't think you need to worry.
But you should also be prepared to get a call from DIBP for verification of your RNR and also to the HR department of the company for which you have provided SD

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
If statutory declarations started getting rejected by DIBP, as a matter of principle, then half the members here can forget their grant.

As per my understanding, DIBP takes a dim view of those SDs which do not have multiple evidences to back it up like payslips, Service certificate, bank statements, tax statements.
If you can provide all 4 evidences for the period you have given the SD, then I don't think you need to worry.
But you should also be prepared to get a call from DIBP for verification of your RNR and also to the HR department of the company for which you have provided SD

Cheers
That is basically what I've meant by using them only as "last resort". ;) Even if getting a proper reference letter written seems complicated in the beginning, it definitely makes things much easier (and faster) in the end.

According to a guy I know who works as migration agent, the whole verification process usually takes much longer once a SD comes into play as the DIBP runs more background checks and your chances of maybe even getting a direct grant drop to around zero. Also you have to inform your references in the SD that they likely are going to receive a call by either the ACS, the DIBP, the Australian Embassy and/or some other government institution, so you'd need to be in touch with your former employer anyway. And then who knows who is going to pick up the phone and what he/she is going to tell the person calling?

Of course things might work out - but with an SD you're introducing a whole new layer of complexity in the application process, that you can't control. There are quite a few threads from people who had their visas rejected due to inconsistent answers the DIBP has received when verifying SDs. Since there is a lot of money involved, my recommendation would be to play it safe (whenever possible).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.