Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is Mexican and she and her entire family are obsessed with Tacos al Pastor. They simply never get tired of them, it's like the Mexican pizza. She is an excellent cook so I eat very well at home but when we go to town it never fails, Tacos al Pastor. We can get really full and have beers for 140 pesos, what a deal.

Is there a dish here that is your favorite? And having lived here for a while now do you prefer tortillas to bread?

Reactions: Haskins

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Here In San Luis Potosi it is "goditas" of various fillings. Tortas are also popular. tacos are not as popular as they are in Baja. Most taco shops here open at 8PM and serve "cena". Taco shops in Mexicali open very early and many close after the bars close at night and my favorite large taco shop is 24 hours per day.

I took a buddy there from San Diego to my house in Mexicali and we arrived late at night hungry. I told him my favorite taco shop is open and has 40 picnic type tables and really cold A/C. We arrived a 2AM and it was waiting for a tableroom only. The state university close by had it filled up with students. Many of the female students were nice looking and he couldn´t believe it. Of course I realize some of them had been there maybe for 2 hours or more chatting and eating tacos.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've got to admit - I eat very well at home - and I better go first or I am in trouble.

When we eat out - roadside - we like lamb tacos. We have two places we frequent a lot. It was kind of interesting that in a short conversation with one 'owner' we brought up our other preference and an said - oh that is my cousin. They are miles apart.

(the consume adds a lot)

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite dish is tamales de mole oaxqueños. In fact, anything made with mole is my favorite!
The mole from Oaxaca is excellent, my wife buys it by the bag. I have watched them make it in the shops there. If the teachers would just behave it is a fine city.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here In San Luis Potosi it is "goditas" of various fillings. Tortas are also popular. tacos are not as popular as they are in Baja. Most taco shops here open at 8PM and serve "cena". Taco shops in Mexicali open very early and many close after the bars close at night and my favorite large taco shop is 24 hours per day.

I took a buddy there from San Diego to my house in Mexicali and we arrived late at night hungry. I told him my favorite taco shop is open and has 40 picnic type tables and really cold A/C. We arrived a 2AM and it was waiting for a tableroom only. The state university close by had it filled up with students. Many of the female students were nice looking and he couldn´t believe it. Of course I realize some of them had been there maybe for 2 hours or more chatting and eating tacos.
That is interesting as tacos de pastor don't fire up here until 3:00 PM, I guess that's because the people don't get off of work until then and it is a lot of meat on that skewer, what is it called? The big stack of thin sliced pork?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tacos Arabes are my fave taco. They are from Puebla and we spent a week there eating them for almost every meal. The meat is ala tacos pastor, but the taco itself is puffy, vis a vis pita bread, but much thinner. They are sublime.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ahh, tacos al pastor. This is, in fact, one of my absolute favorites here in Mexico. In fact, our favorite place for tacos al pastor here in Colima just opened a new location just a few blocks away from our house. And, on Friday's they have 2x1. Guess where my wife and I eat dinner almost every Friday.

Here, they don't actually start cooking until 5 or 5:30 in the afternoon. So, they don't actually start serving tacos until about 6. But, this timing usually works pretty well for us.

But the real trick for tacos al pastor, or any other taco for that matter, it the right combination of salsas and "toppings" (for lack of a better term). On mine, I squeeze just a little limon, add some salsa roja and, most important of all, these really tasty cebollas with habanero and other spices, marinated in limon. So delicious. :p

But alas, today is only Monday; that means five more days until I get my tacos al pastor fix again.:(

·
Registered
672 Posts
But the real trick for tacos al pastor, or any other taco for that matter, it the right combination of salsas and "toppings" (for lack of a better term). On mine, I squeeze just a little limon, add some salsa roja and, most important of all, these really tasty cebollas with habanero and other spices, marinated in limon. So delicious. :p
True dat. A taco must be bien servido, with all the stuff available like roasted jalapeños, pickled red onions w/habanero, frijoles de olla, tomatoes, cilantro and at least three salsa options--for me the hotter the better. The other thing is that to be a great taco it must be made with a great tortilla, and there's nothing like hecho a mano, preferably by the family matriarch at least 80 years young, whose constant pat-pat-pat is the heartbeat of the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Pechuga con mole verde (either Puebla style or Oaxaca style), followed by chuletas con salsa de chile pasilla, followed by pechuga with all the other colors of oaxacan mole.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have eaten the roasted, spicy crickets..

But cricket pizza is not for me so far.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Have you had the roasted ants or the satz ( roasted caterpillars) yet?
I have eaten only the crickets and the worms that are dried and served with mezcal. The crickets are crunchy and spicy, the dried worms are just salty.

The cricket pizza is popular in Mexico City but I imagine they get soft in bubbling melted cheese. My wife's family love them and will insist that I try on our next visit.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cricket pizza is not popular in México, nor the worm ones either
Maybe not in your circles but I assure you my wife's sister Patricia and her children Adrianna and Carolina and their husbands do eat it and want me to try it. They live in Mexico City and have all of their lives. They sent me an invitation with pictures, I assure you it wasn't at Pizza Hut, Little Caesars or Pizza Inn.

Popular is a relative term, some don't like the blue corn tortillas and some do.

Smoked beef isn't "popular" in Mexico City either but the restaurant "****** ******" is packed at night.

http://www.pgbbq.mx/

Reactions: Haskins

·
Registered
700 Posts
Maybe not in your circles but I assure you my wife's sister Patricia and her children Adrianna and Carolina and their husbands do eat it and want me to try it. They live in Mexico City and have all of their lives. They sent me an invitation with pictures, I assure you it wasn't at Pizza Hut, Little Caesars or Pizza Inn.

Popular is a relative term, some don't like the blue corn tortillas and some do.

Smoked beef isn't "popular" in Mexico City either but the restaurant "****** ******" is packed at night.

****** ****** BBQ
That's a little interesting - when I read your post I don't see the URL - but when I reply - there it is.

****** is our favorite place to eat when we are in Mexico City. They just (within the last month or so) opened their second restaurant - just on the outskirts of Polanco - which for us is much more convenient. The brisket is every bit as good as what you will find in Austin.

As for pizza - I'll stick with tomato sauce and cheese - although my wife likes basil on her's.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

****** ****** BBQ
I've been a Chilango all my life,
while some people may like those cricket pizzas, I would not call them popular in Mexico or Mexico city
Whatever

1 - 20 of 26 Posts