Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; I'm a newbie, and have found only one reference to Oaxaca (City or nearest areas). Have not been there since 1973, and was very taken with it at the time, and was wondering how it would be overall for an expat to move there? Have lived a short time in Cuernavaca, & it's a little too humid in the summer for me.
Like everyone else, I am on a budget (Disability). Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Although we do not live in Oaxaca we have visited the city nd surrounding areas in our RV many times over the last 12 years. Oaxaca is a JEWEL. One of our favorite colonial cities. There is an active expat community in the city. One of them ( I think his name is Allan Starkman) writes about the city on Mexconnect. Food and rent appear to be reasonable. I cannot speak on other costs. I do know that they have a serious water problem. That in itself would be enough to keep me from living there. Try Mexconnect as there are many others on that forum that live in Oaxaca. There are also some Oaxaca specific forums. GOOGLE!

Moisheh

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you google 'the hell with it I'm out of here" you will find a blog by an US guy who is living there after traveling extensively throughout Mexico in his early retirement

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi; I'm a newbie, and have found only one reference to Oaxaca (City or nearest areas). Have not been there since 1973, and was very taken with it at the time, and was wondering how it would be overall for an expat to move there? Have lived a short time in Cuernavaca, & it's a little too humid in the summer for me.
Like everyone else, I am on a budget (Disability). Thanks for any input.
Oaxaca is a great city. There are many expats here - Look at the Oaxaca Lending LIbrary web sit. But not so many that we lose the flavor. Water is a concern but not a problem. Definitely something that is used wisely. I have lived here over 4 years and find the weather practically perfect. I have heard that there are cheaper places to live, but rents are reasonable and so are buses and taxis. The culture of the valley adds a lot to the experience of living here. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oaxaca is a great city. There are many expats here - Look at the Oaxaca Lending LIbrary web sit. But not so many that we lose the flavor. Water is a concern but not a problem. Definitely something that is used wisely. I have lived here over 4 years and find the weather practically perfect. I have heard that there are cheaper places to live, but rents are reasonable and so are buses and taxis. The culture of the valley adds a lot to the experience of living here. Good luck
Thanks for another great website. Glad to hear that Oaxaca has not lost its flavor with too many expats. I really don't want to move from the U.S all the way to an "Americanized" city. Will definitely go check it out.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Oaxaca

We think Oaxaca is a great place and seriously thought about having a place there but it is too far from the border with DF in the way since we drive frequently.
(Removed personal & commercial information - Please read the Forum Rules)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for such wonderful information. I will definitely e-mail Mr. Starkman & check out his & his wife's B&B.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this thread! I visited Oaxaca City and Puerto Angel/Zipolite in '07. I've decided (finally) to move there for a while. I'm an American in NYC, a writer and dancer currently on disability from significant dance injuries. I want to go to Oaxaca City and study Spanish at a language school for a month, then go to Zipolite and stay for 6 months to a year healing my injuries.

My questions:

Can you keep getting SSDI while in Mexico if you keep a NYC address? If I get a tourist visa every 3 months (how long do you have to leave the country to get another one? Should I go to the US, or do most expats go to Guatemala?

I have two cats and need to take them with me. Is it easy to find a sublet in OC that would allow me to have them, or should I arrange for a friend to fly them from the US to Huatulco when I go to Zipolite? All they need is a certificate from a US vet within the last 72 hours, right?

Can anyone recommend a good language school in the city?

I would like to do yoga/get bodywork/take folklorico dance classes during my month in OC. Does anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
You can get up to 180 days on an FMT tourist permit. Technically, once per year, but if you leave Mexico and re-enter, preferably at a different point or in a different shift, you should be OK. That said, there is talk of a multiple entry document and, perhaps, better computer control of such entries.
Be sure you have a fresh veterinary letter of 'good health' and the shot records for your cats whenever you cross a border.
For language schools, let Google be your friend.
I think you can continue to receive your benefits, but may have to return to the USA periodically to keep them.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hopefully this within forum rules.
Alvin Starkman is the best source that I have found on Oaxaca, both city & state. He has developed a whole set of publicly available information that you can reference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know Oaxaca City well - just left there. Verrrrrrrry dangerous, getting more and more scary. All Oaxaca is very scary. Been all over it - all over it. Unless you have money to get your self out of trouble do not go. Things happen there. Its the kinda place where $100 usd buys wittnesses in court so who has the most money winns. Its the way there. Everything there is organized mafia from top to bottom. Very beautiful the climate, and the food in Oaxaca City is fabulous.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
I know Oaxaca City well - just left there. Verrrrrrrry dangerous, getting more and more scary. All Oaxaca is very scary. Been all over it - all over it. Unless you have money to get your self out of trouble do not go. Things happen there. Its the kinda place where $100 usd buys wittnesses in court so who has the most money winns. Its the way there. Everything there is organized mafia from top to bottom. Very beautiful the climate, and the food in Oaxaca City is fabulous.
You resurrected a pretty old thread. What prompted that? I would be interested in hearing other opinions about Oaxaca. It sounds like something happened to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You buy property there you loose.
They tried to take my kids.
They stole my property.
They drove my wife crazy to the point she left me and the kids.
I was poisoned there .
Hospital twice.
Chased by police thugs through mountain roads.
scam after scam trying to steal property which they finally did
Federal officials pure trash-very difficult to immigrate unless you pay people off-all gvt offices are crooked there in Oaxaca
Organized web waiting on unsuspecting fly.
Destroyed my life other than got out with the children. They would take my kids to steal my property, threaten my wife was raped twice. I was beaten in front of my children by 5 Mexicans working for gvt fed officials to intimidate us off the property. I can go on and on. Even a queer Canadian guy and a Queer American guy try to touch my son. Very very weird place Oaxaca. People walking around the streets with no clothes sooo poor. Drugs ther alot. If you were single with lots of money and not a Christian it would be great, and no kids .. My daughter was held down in kindergarden in Zicatela , Puerto Escondido and cut her hair off to the skin about the size of a soft ball, and choked here during the process. Why because here Daddy is a ******.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Something doesn't smell right to me. You listed a half dozen things that happened to you, any one of which would have caused most people to leave there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You buy property there you loose.
They tried to take my kids.
They stole my property.
They drove my wife crazy to the point she left me and the kids.
I was poisoned there .
Hospital twice.
Chased by police thugs through mountain roads.
scam after scam trying to steal property which they finally did
Federal officials pure trash-very difficult to immigrate unless you pay people off-all gvt offices are crooked there in Oaxaca
Organized web waiting on unsuspecting fly.
Destroyed my life other than got out with the children. They would take my kids to steal my property, threaten my wife was raped twice. I was beaten in front of my children by 5 Mexicans working for gvt fed officials to intimidate us off the property. I can go on and on. Even a queer Canadian guy and a Queer American guy try to touch my son. Very very weird place Oaxaca. People walking around the streets with no clothes sooo poor. Drugs ther alot. If you were single with lots of money and not a Christian it would be great, and no kids .. My daughter was held down in kindergarden in Zicatela , Puerto Escondido and cut her hair off to the skin about the size of a soft ball, and choked here during the process. Why because here Daddy is a ******.
Who is 'they' that are doing all of this? Why YOU, there are plenty more gringos in oaxaca than just you.

Sounds like a load of malarkey considering all 4 of your posts resurrect old happy oaxaca opinion posts with very unpleasant comments. Hopefully anyone reading these threads considers other sources.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.