Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm all new to this site & was introduced by one of my friends. These days, I'm planning to migrate into NZ and went through the NZ immigration web site. My concerns are as follows:

I. Am I supposed to provide all the originals of my educational certificates and employment service letters or can I provide certified copies (certified by a lawyer) of the same?

II. I have completed an IT degree in 2007 and in the required documents section in the NZ immigration site, it says I will have to provide the "Complete official academic syllabus / curriculum". Does this mean the transcripts we get upon completion of the degree?

I really appreciate if any of you could help me in this regard as I'm still new to all this.

Thanks
Pramudith

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi all,

I'm all new to this site & was introduced by one of my friends. These days, I'm planning to migrate into NZ and went through the NZ immigration web site. My concerns are as follows:

I. Am I supposed to provide all the originals of my educational certificates and employment service letters or can I provide certified copies (certified by a lawyer) of the same?

II. I have completed an IT degree in 2007 and in the required documents section in the NZ immigration site, it says I will have to provide the "Complete official academic syllabus / curriculum". Does this mean the transcripts we get upon completion of the degree?

I really appreciate if any of you could help me in this regard as I'm still new to all this.

Thanks
Pramudith
1. Yes I think all educational certificates and employment proof should be original.
2. Yes.

Reactions: pramudith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yes I think all educational certificates and employment proof should be original.
2. Yes.
Hi escapedtonz,

Sorry for the late response cos I was a quite busy during the weekend. Thank you very much for the information and I really appreciate this. Since the documents are pretty much important, can we be sure that the documents will be safe during the transit?

(Not to mention the overhead of obtaining the copies of the same set if the documents were lost)

Thanks
Pramudith

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

Sorry for the late response cos I was a quite busy during the weekend. Thank you very much for the information and I really appreciate this. Since the documents are pretty much important, can we be sure that the documents will be safe during the transit?

(Not to mention the overhead of obtaining the copies of the same set if the documents were lost)

Thanks
Pramudith
As I did, it would be very wise to take photocopies of every single document that you intend to send to immigration and if possible for no great cost have them certified. Luckily I knew a solicitor at the time who offered to do this for free.

When sending actual documents to immigration it is again wise to use a suitably secure courier who offers an important document transfer / return service with adequate insurance cover. It is costly over a normal post service but if it all went wrong you'd be glad you paid the extra.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi escapedtonz,

Thank you very much for the update and I have another concern. I'm planning to lodge my NZQA assessment request initially and started obtaining service experience letters from my previous employers. One of them requires that I need to give the contact details of the person whom the letter should be addressed to. This is a doubtful situation for me. What should I do for this?

Thanks
Dulshan

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

Thank you very much for the update and I have another concern. I'm planning to lodge my NZQA assessment request initially and started obtaining service experience letters from my previous employers. One of them requires that I need to give the contact details of the person whom the letter should be addressed to. This is a doubtful situation for me. What should I do for this?

Thanks
Dulshan
Any work experience letters from previous employers should be addressed to you as it is you that needs it and it is you that is asking for it. They are your evidence that you have gained the experience you are claiming points for on the EOI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks for the update and I have requested them to provide a letter addressed to me. However, since that letter is addressed to me, will NZQA be ok with it?

In addition, much appreciate if you could let me know the process you followed to get your NZQA done in step by step. Then I will be able to follow your lead

Further, is IELTS mandatory at New Zealand? If so, what is the required pass mark for IELTS?

Thanks
Pramudith

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks for the update and I have requested them to provide a letter addressed to me. However, since that letter is addressed to me, will NZQA be ok with it?

In addition, much appreciate if you could let me know the process you followed to get your NZQA done in step by step. Then I will be able to follow your lead

Further, is IELTS mandatory at New Zealand? If so, what is the required pass mark for IELTS?

Thanks
Pramudith
Don't see why nzqa would have a problem with a work experience letter being addressed to you. It is for you and you are requesting it from a previous employer. Who else would they address it to ?

Unable to help with nzqa assessment as I didn't need it so didn't do it. My qualifications were already recognised.

IELTS is not mandatory, however it is the most straightforward way to prove that you meet the minimum English standard.
Pass mark is a minimum overall of 6.5 for a principal applicant or a partner where you are claiming partner points.
There are other ways to prove you meet the english language requirement but that evidence is accepted at the discretion of immigration and they can always insist on IELTS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi escapedtonz,

In order to get my NZQA done, I have requested from my previous employers to provide me with letters confirming my work experience. I already have a letter with me (confirming my work experience) issued by one of my past employers. However, this letter is addressed to the Head of HR of the company which I work at present. Can I present that letter to NZQA to confirm my experience with that particular employer? Or else I will have to request for another letter? The practical issue is that I cannot ask for another letter from them.

Thanks
Pramudith

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

In order to get my NZQA done, I have requested from my previous employers to provide me with letters confirming my work experience. I already have a letter with me (confirming my work experience) issued by one of my past employers. However, this letter is addressed to the Head of HR of the company which I work at present. Can I present that letter to NZQA to confirm my experience with that particular employer? Or else I will have to request for another letter? The practical issue is that I cannot ask for another letter from them.

Thanks
Pramudith
So long as that letter clearly states that the evidence provided in it relates to you specifically and no one else and since you say you cannot get another copy addressed to you then use it. NZQA will either accept it or not. If you don't try you'll never know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Escapedtonz,

Very sorry that I was really sick in the last week. I have a small question. Is IELTS required for lodging the NZQA assessment? I'm really hurrying to apply for the NZQA and was thinking this needs IELTS. Otherwise I would have applied a bit before.

Thanks
Dulshan

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,

Very sorry that I was really sick in the last week. I have a small question. Is IELTS required for lodging the NZQA assessment? I'm really hurrying to apply for the NZQA and was thinking this needs IELTS. Otherwise I would have applied a bit before.

Thanks
Dulshan
No it is not.
You will only need to prove you meet the English Language requirement when you have received ITA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Escapedtonz,

Thanks a lot for the response. I was really worried about this. I will apply for the NZQA asap. In addition, for background information, I'm from Sri Lanka and, I did my bachelors degree in English language. The document processing center closest to me in in Mumbai on India. I heard that Mumbai office asks for IELTS even if we have done our degree in English Language. How can I overcome this? Will I really sit for IELTS or not?

Thanks
Pramudith

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,

Thanks a lot for the response. I was really worried about this. I will apply for the NZQA asap. In addition, for background information, I'm from Sri Lanka and, I did my bachelors degree in English language. The document processing center closest to me in in Mumbai on India. I heard that Mumbai office asks for IELTS even if we have done our degree in English Language. How can I overcome this? Will I really sit for IELTS or not?

Thanks
Pramudith
As far as I know Mumbai office does not process RV applications. This has been transferred to London ?
If you feel you meet the English Requirement with a letter from your university stating all study carried out in the medium of English then all you can do is to try it. This method of evidence is always only accepted at the discretion of a case officer otherwise you'll need IELTS, or you can bite the bullet and just take IELTS anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I'm collecting the required documents for my New Zealand migration. One of my employers say that a service letter cannot be issued with the work I have done at that place and they can issue only a general service letter. However, I discussed with my supervisor at that place and she said that she can issue a letter (without the company letter head) confirming the work I did there. I can even get this certified by a lawyer. Will that be accepted by the NZQA or it will only consider a letter issued by the company? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi, I'm collecting the required documents for my New Zealand migration. One of my employers say that a service letter cannot be issued with the work I have done at that place and they can issue only a general service letter. However, I discussed with my supervisor at that place and she said that she can issue a letter (without the company letter head) confirming the work I did there. I can even get this certified by a lawyer. Will that be accepted by the NZQA or it will only consider a letter issued by the company? Thanks
I'd guess NZQA will only accept a letter on genuine company headed stationary.

How can a lawyer certify that you did work in that job with those responsibilities for that time period and that the person giving you the letter (that isn't on company headed paper) actually worked there, was in fact your supervisor and isn't just some random person off the street or a relative.......?
That lawyer wasn't there with you through that whole period of work that you are claiming so impossible and unlawful for them to certify that what the letter states is true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HI Thanks. Yes that's true. What I was referring to was an affidavit where both me and my manager will prepare the document in the presence of the lawyer and the lawyer will prepare an affidavit from that. Considering your view will that work? The problem is that employer does not provide experience letters. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
HI Thanks. Yes that's true. What I was referring to was an affidavit where both me and my manager will prepare the document in the presence of the lawyer and the lawyer will prepare an affidavit from that. Considering your view will that work? The problem is that employer does not provide experience letters. Thanks
Doubtful, but that is just my opinion.
In terms of work experience evidence letters what does the nzqa website info state ?
Any deviation from that will be a negative I should think.
You can of course ask them before submitting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Escapedtonz,
I'm just about to apply for the NZQA assessment. Upon submitting the online application, within how many days that I should courier the documents to NZQA? The reason is that I' still in the process of obtaining letters from my previous employers and I need to get my evaluation done as soon as possible. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,
I'm just about to apply for the NZQA assessment. Upon submitting the online application, within how many days that I should courier the documents to NZQA? The reason is that I' still in the process of obtaining letters from my previous employers and I need to get my evaluation done as soon as possible. Thanks
Sorry I'm unsure. I haven't needed to do it myself.
Any info you need will be available on the nzqa website or just contact them by phone/email.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts