Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
I am likely to apply for NZ Visa. Please help me in the required process for the same.

Qualification:
1) Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) - 50% (2006-2009)
2) Master of Science Information Technology (MSC(IT)) - 58% (2009-2011)

Work Experience: Total Experience 3.5 years
1) Software Engineer - 2 years
2) Senior Process Associate - 1.4 years
My work nature is related to software tester.

My queries are:
1) Whether I am eligible to apply or not?
2) Whether my qualification considered as NZQF Level 7 or 8?
3) What would be the next step towards assessment?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Dear All,
I am likely to apply for NZ Visa. Please help me in the required process for the same.

Qualification:
1) Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) - 50% (2006-2009)
2) Master of Science Information Technology (MSC(IT)) - 58% (2009-2011)

Work Experience: Total Experience 3.5 years
1) Software Engineer - 2 years
2) Senior Process Associate - 1.4 years
My work nature is related to software tester.

My queries are:
1) Whether I am eligible to apply or not?
2) Whether my qualification considered as NZQF Level 7 or 8?
3) What would be the next step towards assessment?

Thanks in advance!!
1) I'm sure you'll have at least 100 points on the eoi so that means you'd be eligible to apply but doesn't mean your eoi would be selected as without a job offer you'll need at least 140 to guarantee selection.
(2) You'll have to check whether your qualification is exempt from assessment. If not it'll need assessing by nzqa. You cannot just guess the level. Itll either be stated on the exemption list for your country or nzqa will state it on an assessment certificate.
(3) www.immigration.govt.nz for all things visa. There are links within for everything associated with qualifications etc. Find the list of exempt qualifications for your country (if there is one) to see if your is listed. It must be an exact match. If not you'll need to apply for assessment via nzqa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear escapedtonz,
Thank you so much for the response!

I will be applying to NZQA for assessment. But neither of my qualification (i.e. Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) and Master of Science Information Technology (MSC(IT)) are listed in NZQA. But both the qualifications equally match to the Bachelors and Masters Degree level.
So, whether I have to prove this thing? Or I should simply apply for NZQA??

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Dear escapedtonz,
Thank you so much for the response!

I will be applying to NZQA for assessment. But neither of my qualification (i.e. Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) and Master of Science Information Technology (MSC(IT)) are listed in NZQA. But both the qualifications equally match to the Bachelors and Masters Degree level.
So, whether I have to prove this thing? Or I should simply apply for NZQA??
If your qualifications are not listed as exempt then you MUST have them assessed by NZQA before submitting EOI.
You cannot go ahead and assume they will receive the expected equivalent level or just guess a level. Just because your qualifications achieved are Bachelor and/or Master it does not mean they meet the equivalent level or standard to achieve Bachelor or Master status in NZ. It all depends on course content and study hours etc.
After assessment, so long as it has achieved the level required the NZQA certificate is your evidence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks escapedtonz,
I'hv gone through the NZQA website. It states that, if you are submitting an Expression of Interest to Immigration New Zealand, apply for Pre-Assessment Result (PAR). Furthermore, a PAR is not sufficient for determining suitability for meeting Immigration New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) requirements. You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points. If you want more than one qualification pre-assessed, you will need to make a separate application, with separate payment, for each qualification.

Now, what I understand from this is, my first step would be to apply for PAR by paying NZ$138 per qualification (in my case NZ$276 for 2 qualifications). Also, my occupation skills lies in New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL), so I have to apply for full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) to apply for LTSSL points by paying NZ$746. Am I right? :eyebrows:

Is it compulsory to go for PAR first and then IQA? OR i can directly go with IQA???
:juggle:

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Thanks escapedtonz,
I'hv gone through the NZQA website. It states that, if you are submitting an Expression of Interest to Immigration New Zealand, apply for Pre-Assessment Result (PAR). Furthermore, a PAR is not sufficient for determining suitability for meeting Immigration New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) requirements. You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points. If you want more than one qualification pre-assessed, you will need to make a separate application, with separate payment, for each qualification.

Now, what I understand from this is, my first step would be to apply for PAR by paying NZ$138 per qualification (in my case NZ$276 for 2 qualifications). Also, my occupation skills lies in New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL), so I have to apply for full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) to apply for LTSSL points by paying NZ$746. Am I right? :eyebrows:

Is it compulsory to go for PAR first and then IQA? OR i can directly go with IQA???
:juggle:
PAR is only suitable for EOI submission. It offers people like you a cheaper and quicker way to achieve qualification assessment and is especially good for people who aren't sure that they will continue with the application or not sure their qualification would meet the required level. In that respect it's better for them to pay a lot less dollars for the PAR assessment instead of the expensive IQA assessment.
PAR is not sufficient for the formal application stage after ITA as it does not guarantee the result.
If you have PAR assessment and subsequently get through to the ITA stage then you must have IQA assessment to guarantee the result for the formal application so as you see if you go down the PAR route first you will end up paying more in the long run.
Note: PAR is done online and generally gives a result in approx 10 working days, BUT sometimes the result can be inconclusive or it can give an undesired result and can be a waste of money. If you did this assessment and got an inferior result your option is to have IQA done which could well give a different result.
You also get to assess up to 4 qualifications per person per application for the one single fee. It's around $285 for PAR I think. The costs are on the nzqa website.

You can just have IQA done straight off. This is the more thorough assessment and gives a guaranteed result. It takes around 30 working days and you have to send in all your course paperwork and marksheets, school history and work experience etc. The result is final. If it isn't the desired result there is nothing you can do. There is no appeal process or complaint process. You can't get a second opinion. IQA costs around $800 and again you can have up to 4 qualifications assessed per individual per application.

Reactions: tubaropaolo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much escapedtonz,
your advise helped me a lot in clearing my understanding and decision making.:)
Currently, I would be applying for PAR and wait for the result.
After that, I will submit EOI and wait for invitation.
Thenafter, I will be going for IQA.

Please correct me if am wrong. :confused2:

Thanks again!!

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Thank you so much escapedtonz,
your advise helped me a lot in clearing my understanding and decision making.:)
Currently, I would be applying for PAR and wait for the result.
After that, I will submit EOI and wait for invitation.
Thenafter, I will be going for IQA.

Please correct me if am wrong. :confused2:

Thanks again!!
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,

I also have a query here. I'm planning to apply for EOI. My Bachelors and Masters degree in Mechanical Engg are exempt from assessment. If I want to claim points for LTSSL, is IQA must?? On the website, it is written that:

You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points.

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,

I also have a query here. I'm planning to apply for EOI. My Bachelors and Masters degree in Mechanical Engg are exempt from assessment. If I want to claim points for LTSSL, is IQA must?? On the website, it is written that:

You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points.
No. You don't need any assessment if your qualifications are exempt. You can claim the stated equivalent level quoted on the exemption document. You can claim for LTSSL points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.