Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My partner and I have the opportunity to move to Chicago with my work (sponsorship all included) - I will have my job but my partner will not. He is a New Zealander - fully qualified Carpenter with 16 years experience. Anyone have info on building work in Chicago. Avg hourly rates? How much does the work differ from NZ to USA? Also how much would a 2 bedroom apartment close to city centre range from in terms of price?
Thanks
Jasmine

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Does he have a work permit for the USA?

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
As everyone has said, it depends entirely on the type of visa you will be on. And an added caveat here: Chicago has always been a very fiercely union town, particularly for the skilled trades like carpenter. Assuming your partner can work, the first step on arrival will be to contact the relevant union to see how things work and how to find work "properly."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
What visa are you obtaining via your company?

Whether or not your husband (if he is just your partner he won't be moving with you) will be able to work depends on what visa YOU are getting.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Depending on individual circumstances B2 gets issued for cohabitating partners but it does not allow emploument.

In my opinion OP's questions are too broad to give an answer.

You can get a 2br for $500 or $3000. Where, what amenities, what budget, ...?

Bubba handy man working odd jobs is in a different pay range then the poster we have who is a very specialized furniture maker in the DC area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - we are not worried about the visa as my company is sorting this out - my husband will be able to work 3 months after we arrive in the country. We are more concerned to how different the building trade will be compared to NZ - he specializes in building houses (normally $1million +). I dont think he'd be keen for handy man type work - more joining a company and getting involved in some bigger building projects - is there much building work in chicago? Any other info anyone can give would be really appreciated

Thank You
Jasmine

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Thanks everyone - we are not worried about the visa as my company is sorting this out - my husband will be able to work 3 months after we arrive in the country. We are more concerned to how different the building trade will be compared to NZ - he specializes in building houses (normally $1million +). I dont think he'd be keen for handy man type work - more joining a company and getting involved in some bigger building projects - is there much building work in chicago? Any other info anyone can give would be really appreciated

Thank You
Jasmine
We would like to know which visa YOU are getting because it is a waste of the forum's time to give information and expertise if your husband is not going to be able to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts