Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Even though we're many months away from actually setting foot in NZ, I've already begun to note things I'd like to do in NZ before I hit the bucket... my very own Bucket List. I'm sure we all have our own lists of things to do, see, taste, smell, and hear.

What's on your list? Which have you already crossed off your list?

Here's mine so far in no particular order:

-Fishing: conventional and fly fish for everything from big game to trout
-Snorkel/Dive: everywhere, with dolphins if at all possible
-learn to kite surf
-visit my friend and her newborn baby boy in Queenstown
-Left-driving: “caution: American driving here!”
-ride the Harley everywhere
-tour Scenes of Lord of the Rings
-explore the Lake Te Anau Glowworm Caves
-tour Fiordland National Park
-go Zorbing: because I want to know what it’s like to be a hamster or guinea pig in a big plastic ball
-photograph everything on land and underwater
-tour a Cadbury Chocolate Factory
-Hike to Purakaunui Falls
-experience weather below freezing
-enjoy every single thermal hot pool and hot spring
-4x4 tours in a Unimog
-see Punakaiki's pancake rocks
-experience a Maori taonga (treasure) and a waahi tapu (sacred place) like Te Waikoropupu Springs

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
A great list!

One of mine that may be a way off now, with the grounding of the Rena off Tauranga, is to go scuba diving at White Island. Yet another example of 'do it while you can'- one of my other bucket list entries was to go to the top of the Twin Towers!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

Bucket list calls for Sky Tower jump

10/01/2012

Excitement is the spice of life for Wilmina van Hoof as she gears up to tick yet another activity off her bucket list.

The 81-year-old thrillseeker will leap off the Auckland Sky Tower at 2pm today – an 11 second, 192m jump that will see her reach speeds of up to 85kmh.

The New Plymouth woman said she was anticipating the adrenaline rush the jump would give her.

"It's very exciting, I'm looking forward to it because a lot of people talk about doing it," she said.

Mrs van Hoof's adventurous escapades have become somewhat of a decade-by-decade tradition.

At 50-years-old she rode to Ratapiko on the back of a Harley Davidson, at 60 she glided around the mountain, and at 70 she jumped out of a plane from 10,000 feet at Mt Maunganui.

And it seemed that Mrs van Hoof's sense of adventure had rubbed off on her husband Martin over the years after he requested a pair of rollerblades for his 70th birthday.

Mrs van Hoof said to mark her 90th year she intended to do a balloon flight, and although she had not chosen what would be done to bring up her 100 years, she expressed no doubt in reaching the milestone.

full story here

EDIT: Sky Jump mission accomplished for 81-year-old

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

Even though we're many months away from actually setting foot in NZ, I've already begun to note things I'd like to do in NZ before I hit the bucket... my very own Bucket List. I'm sure we all have our own lists of things to do, see, taste, smell, and hear.

-learn to kite surf
-go Zorbing: because I want to know what it’s like to be a hamster or guinea pig in a big plastic ball
-4x4 tours in a Unimog
-experience a Maori taonga (treasure) and a waahi tapu (sacred place) like Te Waikoropupu Springs
Kia Ora!

WHOA!:clap2: That is a pretty darn extensive BUCKET LIST! Don't forget to SWIM WITH THE DOLPHINS UP AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS offshore from Pahia! Did that a number of years ago and it was worth it!

Not only dolphins, but a pod of ORCAS arrived:eek:...a few miles away from their usual haunts in the Hauraki Gulf near Auckland. Seems they got a wee bit spooked by an EQ off of the southern tip of the South Island prior to the Great Sumatra Quake. They, along with a pod of dolphins, were out of their usual aquatic habitats...typically this dolphin was from Antarctica and were spotted overhead by NZ AF:plane: up at Cape Reinga!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting, looks like a great resource!
It will be great if other memebers of the community can add 'stuff' as well
so we can all learn something.

I would like to add:

+ take a Māori cuisine class!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SFvroooom said:
Well, looks like I crossed off 3 on my bucket list. Only a bajillion more to go!

·
Banned
70 Posts
Hi everyone,

-learn to kite surf
-4x4 tours in a Unimog
That sounds very much like a typical NZ backpacker holiday and will be doable in the first few weeks when you're still in tourist mode, people that live here can't afford to do many of those things.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmm I like a lot of these ideas! I have my own plans when I get over there which mostly include climbing, camping, diving, hiking, sky diving and exploring but after reading your bucket list I feel my plans have been put to shame!

I wonder what the Ultimate NZ bucket list would be? or at the very least the top 10 things to do in NZ?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
^ for your camping, I've used many of the Dept of Conservation campsites; I see the charges have gone up the maximum was $10 a night, now they range from free to $15 per night - top fee for serviced campsites with "Flush toilets, tap water, kitchen/cooking bench, hot showers, rubbish collection and road access for all types of vehicles. Laundry facilities, barbecues, fireplaces, cookers and picnic tables may be available"

Conservation campsite information

We spent one New Year's camping at the DOC campsite near ****ngirua Pinnacles - about 90min from Wellington; on Cook Strait, seal colony (smelly!), lighthouse nearby, small fishing village at Ngawi. Take care if swimming, snorkeling there.
Trivia time: Part of the Paths of the Dead sequence in the film The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was filmed on location here

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000zQ14K1.2hsQ/s/750/750/07NZ-6021-****ngirua-Pinnacles.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wonder what the Ultimate NZ bucket list would be? or at the very least the top 10 things to do in NZ?
Here's some suggestions.
Climb Mt Tongariro - but in summer to autumn (Nov thru May, without the snow). Awesome view of the Central North Island, across to Mt Taranaki and over Lake Taupo, and not too tough a climb.
Go skinny dipping on a remote beach.
In Auckland, take the ferry across to Waiheke Island and back.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Adding excitement to the bucket list

Bucket List as an extreme sport!

A great list!
One of mine that may be a way off now, with the grounding of the Rena off Tauranga, is to go scuba diving at White Island. Yet another example of 'do it while you can'

Alert level raised for White Island volcano
Monday Aug 6, 2012
A volcano off the coast of Whakatane continues to show signs of increased activity, with scientists raising the alert level from Level one to Level two. GNS Science has raised the alert level after monitoring of the White Island web camera captured a small eruption on Sunday morning from the Crater Lake. During the past week there has been an increase in volcanic tremor and volcanic gas levels.

"White Island is an active volcano and there is always risk when visiting the island and vessels travelling nearby should keep alert. Eruptions can occur at any time with little or no warning. Extra caution should be taken if visiting the island.''
source

Here's some suggestions.
Climb Mt Tongariro - but in summer to autumn (Nov thru May, without the snow). Awesome view of the Central North Island, across to Mt Taranaki and over Lake Taupo, and not too tough a climb.

Quakes continue to rattle Mt Tongariro
Tuesday Jul 31, 2012
The mountains alert level was bumped from zero to one nearly two weeks ago, after a series of small earthquakes under the volcano. GNS Volcanologist Dr Brad Scott said they have seen a drop in the number of shakes under the volcano. He said it started off having around 20 shakes a day, but it is now dropped to between three to 10 a day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hope no one was trying to tick Tongariro off their bucket list last night....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
^ maybe postpone that part of the bucket list in the meantime . . .

Mt Tongariro erupted at 11.50pm last night, hurling rocks up to 1km.
- Ash cloud drifting to the east of Tongariro, landing as far as Napier city
- SH1 and SH46 have reopened. Flights to and from Napier cancelled, while other North Island services have been delayed.
- GNS: It was a hydrothermal-driven eruption, rather the magmatic
- It was the first eruption in more than a century
- Turoa and Whakapapa skifields remain open
Mt Tongariro could erupt again at any time, with increased volcanic activity likely for weeks to come, GNS Science says.
Webcam pics here - though not much to see apart from ash

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmm... ya'know.. I may put that route on my 'to do later' list .. so hows it going with this eruption now? Is it affecting any nearby towns or is it contained?

·
Registered
386 Posts
hmm... ya'know.. I may put that route on my 'to do later' list .. so hows it going with this eruption now? Is it affecting any nearby towns or is it contained?
There aren't that many towns in the vicinity, but it did send a sulphury smell southwards to at least Wellington.

·
Banned
180 Posts
They're more worried about the effects the ash could have on farmland and open water supplies.

There was a report on Radio NZ's Morning Report saying that magma is rising in Tongariro, there could be a larger eruption to come.

Radio New Zealand : News : National : Bigger eruption possible on Tongariro
GNS Science head of volcanology Gill Jolly says scientists got a good view of a long line of steam vents on the north flank of the mountain peak on Thursday.

Ms Jolly told Morning Report another team flew through the steam plume and measured sulphur dioxide and carbon dioxide suggestive of magma high up in the mountain.

She said either the volcano will go back to sleep or there will be a series of steam eruptions or a magmatic eruption similar to when Mount Ngaruahoe blew in the 1970s.

Vulcanologists also visited White Island off the coast of Whakatane on Thursday and confirmed that the volcano there has erupted, for the first time in 12 years.

Ms Jolly said both the Mount Tongariro and the White Island volcanoes were triggered by the plate tectonics off the east of New Zealand, but the actual eruptions are not connected.
You can listen to it if you want http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/p...te-island-has-errupted-scientists-confirm.asx

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmm been a few days since that was posted... any news on whether the magma has settled or is it still tense?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Song_si : Thats very sad, I suppose if you look at the odds though it was bound to happen sooner or later - seem to be a lot of climbing accidents these days (either that or they are just getting reported more!). Has there been any word on what happened to them?

Carosapien : That sounds like a worry.. but if that happens wouldnt it also be followed by Lava? or is it purely a pressure related 'catapult' of debris? (my disaster training is very general, volcano activity was not covered in detail! :p )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts