Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC Translations

803 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can recommend or knows of any translations other than Transperfect here in New York. I had to deal with them once and would rather explore other options before going back to them.
Thanks!

(...no offense, if anyone here works for them ;) )

#2 ·
Add-on question to my previous one...
For people who have applied for the long-stay visa, does anyone happen to know if there is any need to provide some sort of "certified" or "official" translation or will any translation do? Because translators cost an arm and both legs and I have friends who can just as easily do the translations for me.

Any thoughts? Experiences of what any of you have done?

#3 ·
Hello,

For my long-stay visa, I went to the consulate in Chicago. I wasn't required to have any of my documents translated at all.

However, knowing how difficult it can sometimes be dealing with the consulates - I would contact them directly to know the answer for sure. The (workers in the) visa department in Chicago were quite friendly and helpful actually.

Best of luck.

#5 ·
The certified translations they ask for in France have to be obtained from specially certified translators who are also authorized to validate the documents. I would think that "any old" translator should do for anything the consulate outside France is asking for. As long as the documents come from the US (or probably Canada) the consulate staff can verify them.

But most consulates that ask for translations normally have a list of those translators they will accept. Try asking if they have such a list.
Cheers,
Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.