Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm hoping for some advice regarding moving to SA as a nurse. I am an RGN in Community and have previous experience in Transplant / Trauma theatres and wonder if I should apply for a job first so to gain sponsorship to make the process easier. We had thought about using an agent but my husband is pretty good with paperwork as he's a Policeman so think we could do it ourselves. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Kelly and Kenny

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Kelly,

You and your husband might want to review the information about the different visas available in Australia's Department of Immigration and Citizenship website: immi.gov.au

The skilled migration program is having a big change in July 2012 called Skilled Select. If you plan to apply for a visa yourself, you need to start the process very soon. The reason being the new program, you will have to be invited to apply after they review your information. Different to now where you can apply on your own.

Yes, you can try to apply for jobs to get a sponsorship. However, getting a sponsorship is not so easy. I guess only if you have the specific skills that a company/hospital is looking for that you meet. But as you being a nurse, I believe the first step that you need to have done is to have your skills assessed by an organization in Australia that does this. The website that I referred should have looks to let you know this organization and what to do.

I applied for the visa 175 without needing an agent. You don't necessarily need an agent because I believe you still have to do the work to get the documents,etc. Plus, if you do it on your own, you can ask questions directly to your case officer,etc. If you do it through an agent, I believe all communication will first go through your agent then to you.

It's a personal choice if you want to hire an agent. Review the information in immi.gov.au The directions are pretty self explanatory. If you have questions, this forum is a good way to ask because it's likely someone had the same question or went through the same issue.

It will not hurt if you start applying for jobs now while you and your husband review the immigration website to see if you will proceed in applying for the visa on your own.

However, please note you really can't apply for the skilled migration visa for nursing unless you meet the points requirements. Then to have your skills assessed to make sure your skills are recognized in Australia. The immigration website explains this in detail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Where would you suggest would be the best place to start applying for jobs in SA or would it be best to submit CV's to hospitals in the first instance? We want to start the ball rolling ASAP.
I really appreciate any help or advice you can give. Kelly

·
Registered
351 Posts
If your target is SA, you will need to search in the internet to search all the hospitals/nursing home facilities and see if they have websites that you can visit. Nowadays companies/hospitals have their own websites and have a section for career opportunities. Review that and apply directly to that. However, I don't know if sending your CV directly to the hospital will help you. I think most companies want to have the recruiting of employees the formal way and that is through the career postings.

You also need to check out the Australian career online job websites such as: mycareer.com.au , seek.com.au, or indeed.com.au There might be others but these are the ones I've looked at.

Before applying, you might want to check out the requirements needed. I believe each state of Australia might require professions to register such as nurses. But I am not sure if this is only if you are eligible to work? My suggestion is you need to contact the nursing board of Australia. I don't know their official organization name. In reading some of the posts from people wanting to come to Australia, others have commented about getting their skills assessed,etc.

Lastly, you mentioned that you are interested in being sponsored. Are you targeting SA because you have friends and family there? If not, I believe you could possibly increase your changes of being sponsored if you expand the areas that you could move to. There will be cases that certain cities/states will not have a shortage of nurses while others will. So if a city/state has a shortage and you have the experience they require, you have a better chance of getting sponsored.

A quick search in the internet has this website that seems to have links to the nursing boards in the different states:

Obtaining Your Australian Nursing Registration and Visa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.