Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody ,

I am just starting my process for Australia Skilled Migration Visa . I am a software Engineer with 8 years of experience wishing to migrate to Australia.

I have a few queries , I hope you guys can help me out with :

1. I am so late to this , my first worry is Is it too late for IT Professionals to start process . Because I keep reading things online about SOftware Engineers being on the flagged SOL List etc.. Am i Still eligible to apply ?

2. How long does this entire process take ? Could anyone give me a rough estimate of the time required for this process ..

3. Is there any link/ flowchart that describes end to end steps that needs to be taken ?? From reading a tonne of materials online, what i gather now is that :
I need a succesfull IELTS and an ACS Skill assessment to begin with , Only after which I can Express Interest (EOI) using skillset . Then I have to wait for invitation and after which I can proceed with Visa Processing in relevant category. And It is only during Visa Processing that we need Medical and Police Checks.

Thanks a lot in advance for addressing my queries.

S

·
Registered
960 Posts
Answers inline
Hello Everybody ,

I am just starting my process for Australia Skilled Migration Visa . I am a software Engineer with 8 years of experience wishing to migrate to Australia.

1. I am so late to this , my first worry is Is it too late for IT Professionals to start process . Because I keep reading things online about SOftware Engineers being on the flagged SOL List etc.. Am i Still eligible to apply ?
Did you mean late in the year ? Well the financial year has started only 15 days back, so definitely not late

2. How long does this entire process take ? Could anyone give me a rough estimate of the time required for this process ..
A very subjective question, no one can give you a clear indication . on an average it may take upto an year or even less if things work out well for you.

3. Is there any link/ flowchart that describes end to end steps that needs to be taken ?? From reading a tonne of materials online, what i gather now is that :
I need a succesfull IELTS and an ACS Skill assessment to begin with , Only after which I can Express Interest (EOI) using skillset . Then I have to wait for invitation and after which I can proceed with Visa Processing in relevant category. And It is only during Visa Processing that we need Medical and Police Checks.
This thread should answer most of your questions http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/729746-australian-skilled-independent-189-visa-my-view.html

S

·
Registered
936 Posts
you guessed all the steps almost correctly... best place to see the guide i will always say official website which is now DIAC to DIBP to border.gov.au... you can check the thread at my signature for a process overview/exp

·
Registered
153 Posts
People have been reading about Software positions that are flagged for quite some time now. Everyone expects and anticipates 2016 - 2017 FY will have many reforms to the rules that exist today.

The good news is that the system is open for Software Engineers TODAY. At Least that is the case as I type this. Change is the only thing that's constant with these rules and regulations.

Please give it all the thought if you want to migrate. Once you have decided, then you should be able to commit and start the groundwork as soon as possible. Why do I say this? Given the number of candidates who crack PTE easily & get their ACS assessments done in less than a week, it's to the absolute degree that these positions would be filled and would attain its ceiling like there is no tomorrow.

Today you are not late, but 2 months down the line, no one can guarantee you.

Let me try and get this for you:
Step 1: ACS & PTE can do parallely. If you think that you will get a positive assessment from them, go ahead and start to prepare for PTE. [Approx: 20 days] Its just a guestimate & mind you, I don't know your command over the language.

Step 2: Once you have your PTE + ACS you can file an EOI. [Provided your are eligible wrt age, education etc] and you have 65 points [Approx: End of August]

Step 3: Receive an Invite and apply for a Visa [Approx: Sept 15]. You need to account for $$$ at this stage

Step 4: Medicals & PCC [Approx: Oct 15]

Step 5: Outcome [Approx: ?]

I think you have covered it most.

Reactions: tiyyob and saisaa

·
Registered
737 Posts
Please find my replies inline.

Hello Everybody ,

1. I am so late to this , my first worry is Is it too late for IT Professionals to start process . Because I keep reading things online about SOftware Engineers being on the flagged SOL List etc.. Am i Still eligible to apply ? Yes you are eligible to apply. The occupation ceiling for 2015-16 is not yet filled. But now they are conducting only one draw per month

2. How long does this entire process take ? Could anyone give me a rough estimate of the time required for this process .. - Right now average is 3-4 months, if you have every thing ready , ie ACS, English Test results etc. it might be less for some folks though

Instead of IELTS, you can write PTE-A (which is relatively easier for many guys here)
Refer this thread for more details - http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ian-skilled-independent-189-visa-my-view.html
~

S

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Everyone ,

Thankyou for all your prompt and very informative replies. Really appreciate it !!! :)

I have another question - I am thinking of using an agent . I am currently in UK now. And UK agents seems to charge a lot . The quote i got from one consultant here was £2400.00 +
VAT) (Gulp !)

Also Being in UK can I use agents from Australia ? Is it advisable ? Has anyone ever used services of Australian agencies While living overseas ?

Any insight and advice you can give me will be very helpful .

Thanks again,

S

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello Everyone , Thankyou for all your prompt and very informative replies. Really appreciate it !!! :) I have another question - I am thinking of using an agent . I am currently in UK now. And UK agents seems to charge a lot . The quote i got from one consultant here was £2400.00 + VAT) (Gulp !) Also Being in UK can I use agents from Australia ? Is it advisable ? Has anyone ever used services of Australian agencies While living overseas ? Any insight and advice you can give me will be very helpful . Thanks again, S

don't use an agent. Almost everyone on this forum have done it without an agent. The process from start to finish is fairly simple unless you have some glitch or exception in your application. There are tons of threads on this forum that will guide you through the entire process. Just take the effort to research. All the best

·
Registered
737 Posts
don't use an agent. Almost everyone on this forum have done it without an agent. The process from start to finish is fairly simple unless you have some glitch or exception in your application. There are tons of threads on this forum that will guide you through the entire process. Just take the effort to research. All the best

I also have the same opinion :), hiring an agent is just plain wastage of money, if you use the information in this forum well, period. Why you want to give your hard earned money to some agents who just do some document reviews and upload the same, and nothing else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I've started the process and have decided to not use an Agent .

AS a first step to get all the documents certified for ACS ,My B.E degree is from India , whereas I am residing currently in the U.K.

So can I use a UK Notary to verify the Indian Degree Document ?

I rang up a notary here, so he mentioned he can only validate the authencity of the photocopy belonging to the original, but not the original itself as it is from India. And if that is okay wit the Australian Agency in concern ? He suggested if not, then I need to get these done in India Itself.

Has anyone got a document obtained in one country notorised in another ??? Please Advice !!!!!

Thanks in Advance,
S

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Good that you decided not to use an Agent.

Make a coloured photocopy of your documents and visit the notary with the originals and the photocopy. Ask him to notarize the photocopies with "Certified True Copy" stamps. Scan back these copies with the certified stamps and use them to upload in your ACS online application.

It does not matter where the original copy originates from. All that is required from the notary is that he looks at the original and the copy and certifies that the copy is a true copy of the original.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Just wanted to reconfrim the fact that the documents from India can be notorized in the UK . Because the notary here is asking if i have any emails from the ACS saying that is okay. Has anyone done this before ???

·
Registered
737 Posts
I Just wanted to reconfrim the fact that the documents from India can be notorized in the UK . Because the notary here is asking if i have any emails from the ACS saying that is okay. Has anyone done this before ???
I have notarized my mark sheets (Indian) when I was in North America and it was accepted by ACS. Why the notary should have a problem with that ? ask him how can you go to India just for notarizing these documents :p ? LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update for everyone who took time out to help me :)

I convinced the notary, gave him an extract from the ACS guidelines and got my documents notarised. I submitted my ACS on 18th July. Today Morning (20/07 UK - 6 am) It is in stage 4. Keeping my finger crossed.

I have IELTS scheduled for 23rd July . Am now more inclined to PTE because i read that it has faster processing and some people said it is a tad bit easier than IELTS..Anyway, now that I have already paid for my IELTS i guess i have to see it through...

Thankyou again for your help !!! Lets see how it goes from here.. :) :) :)

Regards,
S

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Everyone,

I got my ACS Results today. I submitted my Application on the 18th July (Saturday) and got it today early morning, 23rd July(Thursday). :)

I will be giving my IELTS today and tomorrow. The Test centre here at UK , we have to attend the speaking on a seperate day. :S

That said,could you all please help me to interpret the ACS RESULTS and advice me on EOI process.

--- ACS RESULTS :

1. Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 261313 (Software Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code.

2. Your Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science & Engineering has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

3. The following employment after June 2009 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to the ANZSCO Code.

Please help me understand the points I am eligible for :
---- So Do i get 15 points for my educational degree, B.Tech Computer ?
---- From June 2009, Give me 6 Years Experience, So I get a 10 on Employement ?

Is my understanding correct ? I searched High and Low for an explanation letter for understanding the ACS Letter, infact ACS itself provides a sample letter with explanation - but I still am not sure about how the points work.

--- EOI PROCESS

Provided I get a decent score in IELTS (I think it takes two week for the results to come ) . I am hoping to raise an EOI sometime in early August !!! ???? :fingerscrossed:

1. I want to apply EOI for 189 and 190 Visa. I have read lot of posts here and what i understand is that , In same EOI we choose both subclasses of the Visa ? Is this correct ??
2. 190 is a State Sponsored Visa . So I am not supposed to claim any points for the State sponsorship when I apply EOI right ??? Then when do I get this 5 points ? :confused2:
3. How do I Get a state sponsorship. I saw for some states we have to pay a fee. Can someone pelase help me with Victoria State. I understand there is no fee for this. How do I apply for this?? Or NSW ?? Do I Just select all the states on EOI ? Is that all. I read many posts here about applying for SS.( It took me a long time to figure out that SS meant state sponsorship ... :D) So now I am wondering what the process of getting SS is ??
4. How many states can I apply for sponsorship ? Is it restricted to a maximum of two ?
5. Is there any other information that I need to be aware of when I apply EOI ? I read on expat that EOI is the most simplest of all steps..

Also,I watched a video on youtube about applying EOI , it looked failry straightforward.However it was posted 3 years ago. So please do let me know if there are any little tips that I need to be aware of.:) :) :)

Thankyou for helping me out so much :) :)

Regards,
S

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,

Can any one of kindly help me out. Esp regarding the ACS point calculation. Am getting mixed information from all the obsessive browsing I am doing and it is little confusing -

FOr example , somewhere in here I read in some thread that a recognised Btech Degree from ACS would mean 15 points (Can't find that thread or page again ) . But Some other threads(ACS Processing timelines 2015 - Page 52) I see members raising concerns otherwise and that it only qualifies for 10 points...

Can someone kindly advice me ?

Thanks,
S

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi All,

Can any one of kindly help me out. Esp regarding the ACS point calculation. Am getting mixed information from all the obsessive browsing I am doing and it is little confusing -

FOr example , somewhere in here I read in some thread that a recognised Btech Degree from ACS would mean 15 points (Can't find that thread or page again ) . But Some other threads(ACS Processing timelines 2015 - Page 52) I see members raising concerns otherwise and that it only qualifies for 10 points...

Can someone kindly advice me ?

Thanks,
S
Saisaa,

AQF Bachelors degree = 15 points. Choose the right option (Bachelor Degree in Science, Business or Technology) when filling EOI and at the last step, ensure that your education has been awarded 15 points.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you KeeDa !!

Finally submitted my EOI today ,15 August, for 189 visa :) Now the waiting Begins !

There were few questions that were confusing - but a quick search on EXPAT helped clear most of them !!!! :) :)

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Good luck with the process. How did it go with your IELTS? Results out yet? I guess yes.
I also suggest you add a signature to your profile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took IELTS and PTE . Didnt get expected result out of IELTS , So took PTE as the overall processing time was relatively quicker and the test was conducted in a single day. (IELTS was spread over two days, speaking test was generally on the next day :S )

Ive added a Signature as Suggested! :)

Reactions: KeeDa
1 - 20 of 29 Posts