Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bev I am new to this site and found the information very informative, thankyou. I am very unsure of what may lay ahead of me in my travels to Nouvelle Caledonie. My partner has left for Nouvelle Cal already and I was hoping to join him in April. I have a passport so can stay for a certain period of time at this piont in time however my partner has dual citizenship.
We are planning to get married in the month of May on a beach near Noumea. What obstacles will we face?

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
I've moved your post to a thread of its own to try and attract some more responses.

The only experience I have with New Caledonia is that I know someone from France who moved there to retire. (They LOVE it!)

La Nouvelle Caledonie has its own statute, from what I read in Wikipedia - so it isn't really a DOM or a TOM. But it is covered by the French Constitution, so the rules should be pretty much the same as in Mainland France. Basically, your partner needs to check with the local mairie about the requirements for marrying a foreigner (and to reserve the salle des mariages at the town hall for the date you want).

The main thing to be aware of is that in France you have to get married at the local mairie before you can do whatever you want for whatever other sort of ceremony (religious or otherwise). The mairie will want a bunch of extra paperwork from the foreign partner - in some cases with "certified" translations of some of the documents. Your consulate in la Nouvelle Caledonie should be able to help you with some of the paperwork.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev, thankyou so much for that. I will no boubt be in touch to ask many more questions which I can't find satisfied explanations to.
Have a good day
Hidalgo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.