Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Please help me with some advice as I am in the last 3 weeks of my 417 and thinking of switching Jobs. My current employer has offered 457 sponsorship in the contract i signed but I have not started that process yet and am still on 417.. Another new company however, has also offered 457 sponsorship last minute and I am considering accepting. I am concerned about working out my 4 weeks notice with current employer.. Does anyone know if i can apply for 457 with a new company while working my notice period with my current company??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated??

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Yes, you can. However, do make sure that you lodge your visa application prior to the expiry of your existing visa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. That is a relief and I hope you are right as last thing I want is to end up with no 457

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
You are quite welcome to call immigration as well if you still have doubts. They do have a helpline and numerous offices where they can answer your question for free.

The only way that you would end up without a visa is if you or your employer are slack in lodging the paperwork. If you lodge before your visa expires and you meet the requirements for a bridging visa, then you will be issued with one whilst a decision is made on your 457 application.

If you wait until your visa has expired, then you would have to leave and apply for your 457 visa offshore.

There are loads of cases of working holidaymakers switching to employer sponsorship and as long as you apply for you new visa in time and meet all the requirements of the 457 visa, the process runs smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cheers. What about my 4 weeks notice? If I get granted the 457 with new company before I have finished my 4weeks with old company?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
You can only work for your sponsor, so you need to time your resignation well so that you can serve your full notice period. Once your 457 visa is granted, it will automatically cancel out your current visa and under the conditions of your new visa, you would have to work for your sponsor in the role that they sponsored you for only. Working for another employer will constitute a breach of the conditions of your visa.

If you are thinking of changing employer, it might be worthwhile talking to your present employer. They may agree to waive part of your notice period or alternatively, if your sponsorship is taken over by the new company before you complete your notice period, then companies sometimes withhold part of your last pay to cover that shortfall.

S

·
0 Posts
The likelyhood is you won't but if you do get your 457 that quick. Does your new employer know you have a notice period? How accomodating are they with that?
Have you spoke with current company re not completing notice they might agree. If not hop likely do you think they are to persue it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.